Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl NFS file locking
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Perl NFS file locking Post 302619487 by ccj4467 on Thursday 5th of April 2012 02:35:32 PM
Old 04-05-2012
Corona,

Thanks for the tip. I got it working finally, the Perl code was so old that it was not using the proper semantics to invoke fcntl type locking. Once that was fixed, and really suprising just one initializatin script that all of scripts called, everything works.

I am still puzzled about why when the Ubuntu machine was serving the files it worked and when I switch the having CentOS server the files it stopped working.

Maybe something to do with the CentOS machine using NFSv4 even though the Solaris machine was mounting the filesystem as version 3?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp file locking

I have a set of scripts to do software releases to remote machines which uses ftp. I'm having a problem getting 'lost connection' messages. What I wanted to ask is, does ftp employ some sort of file locking if two ftp processes are trying to copy the same file at the same time? & if so could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file locking question

Hi, Simple question but I just need to confirm the answer: If two or more processes attempt to move the same file at exactly the same time, will unix internal file locking allow only one of the processes to access the file? Many thanks Helen :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Locking in Unix

Hi I would like to lock a file using korn Shell Script before coping the contents of the file. Do let me know Thanks in Advance. Senone (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senone
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Locking

Hi, Does anyone know what happens when two processes are simultaneously trying to write to a single file in UNIX (AIX)? Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locking a file in ksh

We want to lock a file, during a program(pgm1) execution(until the execution of the program is completed), so that other program(pgm2) can't read/edit that file, until execution of earlier program(pgm1) is completed. How can this be achieved thru shell scripting... we tried chmod +l option, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thanuman
1 Replies

6. Solaris

NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle

:confused:Hi all When i see in the /var/adm/messages, i saw the following error unix: NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle. unix: (file handle: 45ca415 3e7 a0000 2c7f6 3ebfc25f a0000 2 3e49) It is using sunOS 5.7. Is anybody know what is this error? Is is related to any network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file locking

how do i implement file locking in unix? example if i want to update a file, i would like to use file locking. how do i implement it? i am using shell script thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yang
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to do file locking?

how to ensure all files are being locked while updateing some files? example when i want to update the password and shadow file in unix. how do i implement file locking?? please advice thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yang
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File locking

i am working on a device runnin on linux....i have configured the samba server in the device such that my windows PC can access a shared folder in the device. Also in the device i am runnin some programs which access the files in this shared folder. What i want to know is whether there is any way i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhinx
1 Replies

10. Solaris

NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle - Solaris 10

Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: (file handle: 68000000 1bc5492e 20000000 377c5e 1ce9395c 720a6203 40000000 bdfb0400) Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host zyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies
INN::Config(3pm)					    InterNetNews Documentation						  INN::Config(3pm)

NAME
Config.pm - Export all the variables an INN Perl script might need DESCRIPTION
This Perl module sets up any and all the variables that an INN Perl script might need. More particularly, it allows to use inn.conf variables: they are all provided by innconfval, as well as the version of INN (in the variable $INN::Config::version). Other useful variables are also provided (directories, files, programs, masks, parameters) and you should have a look at the source code of the module to see what you can use in your Perl scripts. You only have to declare the module at the beginning of them: use lib '<pathnews>/lib/perl'; use INN::Config; Then, you can for instance use: print $INN::Config::localmaxartsize; to print the value of localmaxartsize as it is set in inn.conf. You can also specify a version when you import the module. If you write: use INN::Config 2.5.0; only versions of INN superior to 2.5.0 will be able to run the Perl script. It is also possible to import the variables directly in your namespace if you specify what you want to import: use INN::Config qw($localmaxartsize $pathbin); Note that a legacy innshellvars.pl is also provided in pathnews/lib for compatibility reasons with old Perl scripts not shipped with INN. It was used by versions of INN anterior to 2.5.0. The corresponding scripts for Shell and Tcl are, however, still in use: innshellvars and innshellvars.tcl. They offer the same capabilities as this module. HISTORY
innshellvars.pl was written by James Brister <brister@vix.com> for InterNetNews in 1996. It was converted to the INN::Config Perl module by Julien Elie in 2007. $Id: Config.pm.in 8357 2009-02-27 17:56:00Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
inn.conf(5), innconfval(1), perl(1). INN 2.5.2 2009-05-21 INN::Config(3pm)