Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to Identify long running unix processes Post 302619417 by mohamedirfan on Thursday 5th of April 2012 12:07:32 PM
Old 04-05-2012
How to Identify long running unix processes

Hi All, Need an urgent help, I have a requirement to find long running unix processes.. I have tried the below commands, but not succeed. I need to arrange the unix processess in an order of elapsed time (high to low) that runs in a system.
For Eg:
Consider we have 3 processes,
Pid 1
pid 2
pid 3
pid 1 is running for past 3 hours
pid 2 is running for past 5 hours
pid 3 is running for past 1 hour
The output of the command should be like this..
Descending order based on how long it runs...
pid 2 (5 hours)
pid 1 (3 hours)
pid 3 (1 hour)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify specific processes from different Machine

Hi, i;m getting a hard time on how to have this kind of script. 1. ssh on another machine and check if a specific process is running and notify in there is a problem. SOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify the unix processes performing high disk i/o reads and writes

I would like to write shell/perl script which identifies the top unix processes that are performing high disk I/O's or/and writes If any one knows the solution please help me? -Swamy (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avsswamy
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for long running processes....

I searched the forums but didn't see anything related to what I'm looking for. I need a script that would give me a listing of jobs running longer than, for example, 12 hours or so. Thanks in advance for your assistance!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CyberOptiq
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine the active processes on the system which are running since long time

Hi , Please help me shell script to determine the active processes on the system which are running since long time (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itian2010
2 Replies

5. AIX

Script to identify high CPU usage processes

Hi Guys, I need to write a script capable of identifying when a high cpu utilitzation process. It sounds simple but we are on a AIX 5.3 environment with Virtual CPU's (VP's) and logical CPU's. Please any ideas or tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks. Harby. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you print the number of processes that each user is currently running in Unix?

Ok, so I know there's a way to do this, but I've been trying to find out all afternoon with no luck. I think it should print out something like this: 1 bin 2 daemon 6 duo Where the numbers on the left are the number of processes being run by the user whose name is listed on the right. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duo11
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Unix command to get all processes running on a port

Hi, Can someone provide me the Linux command to get the list of all processes running on a particular port. Thanks, Sandy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy8765
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question about finding the PID of long-running processes

The end result that I'd like is to terminate any process on my ps -u username list that extends beyond 20 minutes. I know for a fact that this process will be named l.exe, but I don't know the number in between and I won't know the PID. Is there a way to use grep or pidof to do this task every 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bolanok
2 Replies

9. AIX

Identify All Processes memory and cpu usage.

Hi All, Anyone has script to monitor AIX total processes memory and cpu usage that contribute to the total memory and CPU utilize so far ? The purpose of this is to analyze process memory trend. Thanks. Best Regards, ckwan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
2 Replies

10. AIX

Need to check long running processes on the database server and the os is AIX

Hello, Please help me with a script with which I can check long running processes on the database server and the os is AIX. Best regards, Vishal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies
serialize(1)						      General Commands Manual						      serialize(1)

NAME
serialize - force target process to run serially with other processes SYNOPSIS
command [command_args] pid] DESCRIPTION
The command is used to force the target process to run serially with other processes also marked by this command. The target process can be referred to by pid value, or it can be invoked directly on the command. Once a process has been marked by the process stays marked until process completion unless is reissued on the serialized process with the option. The option causes the pid specified with the option to return to normal timeshare scheduling algorithms. This call is used to improve process throughput, since process throughput usually increases for large processes when they are executed serially instead of allowing each program to run for only a short period of time. By running large processes one at a time, the system makes more efficient use of the CPU as well as system memory, since each process does not end up constantly faulting in its working set, to only have the pages stolen when another process starts running. As long as there is enough memory in the system, processes marked by behave no differently from other processes in the system. However, once memory becomes tight, processes marked by are run one at a time with the highest priority processes being run first. Each process will run for a finite interval of time before another serialized process is allowed to run. Options supports the following options: Indicates the process specified by pid should be returned to timeshare scheduling. Indicates the pid of the target process. If neither option is specified, is invoked on the command line passed in. RETURN VALUE
returns the following value: Successful completion. Invalid pid specification, nonnumeric entry, or pid specification is that of a special system process. Could not execute the specified command. No such process. Must be root or a member of a group having the privilege to execute ERRORS
fails under the following condition and sets (see errno(2)) to the following value: The pid passed in does not exist. EXAMPLES
Use to force a database application to run serially with other processes marked for serialization: Force a currently running process with a pid value of 215 to run serially with other processes marked for serialization: Return a process previously marked for serialization to normal timeshare scheduling. The pid of the target process for this example is WARNINGS
The user has no way of forcing an execution order on serialized processes. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
setprivgrp(1M), getprivgrp(2), serialize(2). serialize(1)