Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to remove and recreate a lock file Post 302619241 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 5th of April 2012 06:45:15 AM
Old 04-05-2012
Several errors:
variable names cannot start with a number in most modern shells. 2day has to be something else.

This line :
Code:
if [$6 !=$curr_month && $7!=$2day] then

needs to be :
Code:
if [ $6 !=$curr_month && $7!=$2day ]; then

Lose the $2day variable name, I did not change it. the [ and ] characters have to be
separated by spaces, you need a semicolon between ] and the word "then"

Lastly, the $6 $7 and $9 variables are not defined anywhere, you are confusing awk syntax with shell syntax.

What shell are you using? What OS?
Please post the output of:
Code:
echo $SHELL
uname -a

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove CVS lock

Hi All, CVS repository is setup on linux server and we are using wincvs to checkout/tag .. etc but we are getting below lock error so how to remove this lock and what is the reason for lock?? cvs rtag: waiting for username's lock in /space/cvs/modulename (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

2. Solaris

how to recreate scripts under /etc/rc3.d folder

Hi All, We have the JMS Queue startup script S52imq and some other scripts in our solaris server 5.8 version. now unknowingly something happend to those scripts and its lost. How can I recreate those scripts again to start the JMQ queue again? We have Solaris 5.10 version which is having... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsurendiran
3 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Please look at this screen shot: How do I remove this lock icon?!

RESOLVED in the screen shot I'd like to remove the lock sandwiched between the spaces indicator and the monitor icon, how do I get rid of it? It locks the screen and I cannot remember how it came to be http://guptaxpn.com/tmp/lock_icon_screenshot.png Thanks for your help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Security Question: Lock after invalid login, Session Lock and Required Minimum Password Length

Hello all, If anyone has time, I have a few questions: How do I do the following in Linux. We are using Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is based on Red Hat too. 1. How to lock the account after a few (like 3) invalid password attempts? 2. How do you lock a screen after 30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nstarz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete and Recreate around 400 Symbolic Links in one Folder

Hello, I recently just switched my phphandler to suPHP on my server in order to increase security a bit. I am working with 2 scripts, one of which is vbulletin forums and the other is custom. The vbulletin forum avatars are all symbolic links to pictures in the other custom script. When I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambition13
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Testing privileges -lock lockfile /var/lock/subsys/..- Permission denied

Hi all, I have to test some user priviliges. The goal is to be sure that an unauthorized user can't restart some modules (ssh, mysql etc...). I'm trying to automate it with a shell script but in same cases I got the syslog broadcast message. Is there any way to simply get a return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

No lock file: Preventing multiple instance of a script

I've been bitten by using a lock or pid file to prevent multiple instances of a script. A user typed kill -9, and the pid file didn't go away. You can't trap -9. So when he tried to restart, it said "already running", and I got trouble report. Argh. So here's what we came up with: # Stop if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: McFadden586
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

How to lock a file through UNIX KSH shell script?

I wrote two shell scripts in UNIX that renames the same file and scheduled them at the same time. The following are the steps that I followed:- 1. I wrote 2 scripts named s1.sh and s2.sh, both trying to add “exec_” prefix to the name of the files present in a folder i which already don't start... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: piuli
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script calling multiple scripts (using lock file)

Hi all, i have compiled a script as below. Basically this script is intended to call 3 other scripts, which i intend to run simultaneously. #!/usr/bin/bash HOMEDIR=/path/of/home LOCKDIR=$HOMEDIR/lock #check for LOCK LOCKFILE=$LOCKDIR/$(basename $0 .sh).lock if ; then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Ignite-UX INDEX file messed up, how to recreate?

OK, so I just messed myself up. Thinking the /var/opt/ignite/data/INDEX files was static, I manually edited the file and added 2 more OS's to it. During an Install it only showed the first OS (started with 11.31, 3 versions then added a 11.23, and a 11.11 stanza's). The 11.23 and 11.11 never... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)