Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find out if a script has ended or still running Post 302619065 by sam05121988 on Wednesday 4th of April 2012 10:26:36 PM
Old 04-04-2012
Thanks everyone, I got this now

Special thanks to DeCoTwc for this very useful post

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the server name a script is running on

Is there any kind of command I can use to find out the name or IP address of the server I am currently on? We have a script that exists on multiple servers and I'd like to set a variable differently based on what server I am on. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellburger
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to diply Files that are not ended with .sh

Cal any one let me know how to disply the files that are not ended with .sh Is there any command that to reverse the regular expression. ls -l *.sh displys all files ended with .sh exactly opposite files(not ended with .sh). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find username of user running the script

Hello All, If I have a simple cgi script and want to find the name of the person accessing the page, is it possible? How do I get the name of this user? Please help. I was trying a vague method but it doesn't seem to work with all browsers and versions ... $val=$ENV{'HTTP_COOKIE'}; $name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garric
1 Replies

4. Linux

Why had the OpenMosix project ended?

I want to build a load-balancing cluster and I the multiprocess support then I read: 'Any single program that can run as multiple processes can benefit from OpenMosix: "The GIMP" photo editor and the "kandel" fractal generator are known to do this. Unless I can find a load-balancing cluster... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in using cat and ended up with no space error in aix

While doing cat on a large file (3 GB file) , I am getting the no space error in the shell script hugefile.sh. Eg: for i in `cat hugefile.txt` do echo "$i" done error: hugefile.sh: no space Please let me know your thoughts in handling this no space issue. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing a process has ended (in the background)

Hi guys. Hopefully this question will make sense! Continuing on my script to automatically copy some huge files across the network onto various servers as background jobs, I need to be able to check that each job has finished successfully. The script below shows what I want - almost. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

number ended by 0

i have to create a simple program for my programming class and mij ide is giving me some errors. The program has to calculate the number of figures entered by a hid ended by a "0" the code i've written is: // number of numbers.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application. //... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metal005
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the script running time and subtract from sleeptime

HI Guys, I want to find out the script running time and subtract from sleeptime. My Script Below Give me error :- #!/usr/bin/ksh timeout=100 start=$SECONDS sleep 20 end=$SECONDS echo "Time: $((end - start)) " ScTime = $((end - start)) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to find out if a process is running on any all machines

Hi All, I have been a guest visitor from a long time and this forum is wonderful. I finally am a member of this forum too, so i am here stuck with a shell script that i was trying to write My requirement is that i should be able to create a shell script which will check if a process is running on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rex0226
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out process name that are running for last 10 days.

Hi all, As i am new to shell script.Please help me to write a Shell script to find out process name that are running for last 10 days. Thank's in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_1988
8 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start com- mand. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)