Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: adding text with sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding text with sed Post 302617459 by Corona688 on Monday 2nd of April 2012 04:46:40 PM
Old 04-02-2012
I think I figured it out. You're using / as the separator, so when your URL contains / , that mangles the expression.

Use something else instead, like #

Code:
sed 's#</body>#<A HREF='"$index"'>'"$description"'</A>\
</body>#' "$index"

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed - adding new line

I want to use sed to look for spaces in text and when find one move the next word to the next line. I used: sed 's/ /\n/g' out > new However when there is more than one space between two words it adds more lines between them. And I just want the words to be one under another. How can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sovixi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed for adding word

hello i have a file (myfile) contains line as follows /home/mytarget/myproject i want to add a pattern at the end of this line. my pattern is- /.*mk i want like it - /home/mytarget/myproject/*.mk i tried sed like sed 's/$//*.mk/' myfile > newfilename, but not wrking. pls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shailesh_arya
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text to a file

Hi All I am making a script in which.I have a problem i try to discribe. File1 content need to be append in file 2 but such as if content already exist then dont add. File1 IS Like this myname yourname hername hisname File2 %AddNameHere myname yourname hername hisname (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text into file

Hello, I after some assistance please. Below is a file I need to read and for each line write an output. My input file looks like this 2 20008 2003-08-26 2 20032 2003-08-26 2 20041 2003-08-26 2 20037 2003-08-26 2 20050 2003-08-26 6 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: giles.cardew
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Text To |bc Output

Hello. I have this.. $ echo '2+2' | bc 4 But I want to output it as 4 MB So, can I achieve that through one single command line? Thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text before and after a word

Hello, I have a list: i.e: 40331786 50331787 30331788 30331789 30331790 50331791 50331792 50331793 70331794 70331795 70331796 ... ... and I need to add text before and after each number: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding more text to a variable

Is there a more simple way to add text to a variable I havevar="blue" and like to add green to getecho $var blue green Here is how I do it. var=$(echo "${var} green") ---------- Post updated at 13:23 ---------- Previous update was at 13:12 ---------- :o Uff Not always easy to see the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text from a variable using sed (Or awk) with punctuation

Hi All, I would have though this would have been simple, but... I have text in a variable that I need to insert into a bunch of other files... The text is simple: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeg1484
2 Replies
LDBSEARCH(1)							  [FIXME: manual]						      LDBSEARCH(1)

NAME
ldbsearch - Search for records in a LDB database SYNOPSIS
ldbsearch [-h] [-s base|one|sub] [-b basedn] [-i] [-H LDB-URL] [expression] [attributes] DESCRIPTION
ldbsearch searches a LDB database for records matching the specified expression (see the ldapsearch(1) manpage for a description of the expression format). For each record, the specified attributes are printed. OPTIONS
-h Show list of available options. -H <ldb-url> LDB URL to connect to. See ldb(3) for details. -s one|sub|base Search scope to use. One-level, subtree or base. -i Read search expressions from stdin. -b basedn Specify Base DN to use. ENVIRONMENT
LDB_URL LDB URL to connect to (can be overrided by using the -H command-line option.) VERSION
This man page is correct for version 4.0 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
ldb(3), ldbedit(1) AUTHOR
ldb was written by Andrew Tridgell[1]. If you wish to report a problem or make a suggestion then please see the http://ldb.samba.org/ web site for current contact and maintainer information. This manpage was written by Jelmer Vernooij. NOTES
1. Andrew Tridgell http://samba.org/~tridge/ [FIXME: source] 04/19/2012 LDBSEARCH(1)