Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add substring in a file containing fixed length record. Post 302615951 by CarloM on Friday 30th of March 2012 09:49:22 AM
Old 03-30-2012
You're attempting to extract the substrings before you've read any records.
Code:
awk 'BEGIN {sum_a=0;sum_b=0; }
{
a=substr($0,389,3);b=substr($0,399,3)
printf"%d\t\t%d",a,b;
sum_a = sum_a+a;
sum_b = sum_b+b;
}
END {printf"%d\t\t%d",sum_a,sum_b}'

This User Gave Thanks to CarloM For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

fixed record length

hello! I have a file with fixed record length... format: 123445asdfg 4343777 sfgg I wanna convert it to 123445,asdfg ,4343,777 ,sfgg is there any way to do it? sed/grep/awk?? at the moment I use sed -e 's_ \(\)_,\1_g' but it works only if there are spaces between... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace fixed length record file

Hi I need to be search a file of fixed length records and when I hit a particular record that match a search string, substitute a known position field In the example file below FHEAD000000000120090806143011 THEAD0000000002Y0000000012 P00000000000000001234 TTAIL0000000003... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nedkelly007
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add character based on record length

All, I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for, and haven't had any luck patching things together. I need to look through a file, and if the record length is not 874, then add 'E' in position 778. Your help is greatly appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CutNPaste
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed Length file from a SQL script

Hi, I have a DB2 UDB 9.7 SQL script, as follows: I need to pass the script into Unix and generate a fixed length file from this. Can someone kindly provide a script to achieve it? SELECT CAST(COALESCE(CL_ID,'000000000') AS CHAR(9)) AS CL_ID ,STATUS... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebsus
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
AWK(1)							      General Commands Manual							    AWK(1)

NAME
awk - pattern scanning and processing language SYNOPSIS
awk [ -Fc ] [ prog ] [ file ] ... DESCRIPTION
Awk scans each input file for lines that match any of a set of patterns specified in prog. With each pattern in prog there can be an asso- ciated action that will be performed when a line of a file matches the pattern. The set of patterns may appear literally as prog, or in a file specified as -f file. Files are read in order; if there are no files, the standard input is read. The file name `-' means the standard input. Each line is matched against the pattern portion of every pattern-action statement; the associated action is performed for each matched pattern. An input line is made up of fields separated by white space. (This default can be changed by using FS, vide infra.) The fields are denoted $1, $2, ... ; $0 refers to the entire line. A pattern-action statement has the form pattern { action } A missing { action } means print the line; a missing pattern always matches. An action is a sequence of statements. A statement can be one of the following: if ( conditional ) statement [ else statement ] while ( conditional ) statement for ( expression ; conditional ; expression ) statement break continue { [ statement ] ... } variable = expression print [ expression-list ] [ >expression ] printf format [ , expression-list ] [ >expression ] next # skip remaining patterns on this input line exit # skip the rest of the input Statements are terminated by semicolons, newlines or right braces. An empty expression-list stands for the whole line. Expressions take on string or numeric values as appropriate, and are built using the operators +, -, *, /, %, and concatenation (indicated by a blank). The C operators ++, --, +=, -=, *=, /=, and %= are also available in expressions. Variables may be scalars, array elements (denoted x[i]) or fields. Variables are initialized to the null string. Array subscripts may be any string, not necessarily numeric; this allows for a form of associative memory. String constants are quoted "...". The print statement prints its arguments on the standard output (or on a file if >file is present), separated by the current output field separator, and terminated by the output record separator. The printf statement formats its expression list according to the format (see printf(3)). The built-in function length returns the length of its argument taken as a string, or of the whole line if no argument. There are also built-in functions exp, log, sqrt, and int. The last truncates its argument to an integer. substr(s, m, n) returns the n-character sub- string of s that begins at position m. The function sprintf(fmt, expr, expr, ...) formats the expressions according to the printf(3) for- mat given by fmt and returns the resulting string. Patterns are arbitrary Boolean combinations (!, ||, &&, and parentheses) of regular expressions and relational expressions. Regular expressions must be surrounded by slashes and are as in egrep. Isolated regular expressions in a pattern apply to the entire line. Regu- lar expressions may also occur in relational expressions. A pattern may consist of two patterns separated by a comma; in this case, the action is performed for all lines between an occurrence of the first pattern and the next occurrence of the second. A relational expression is one of the following: expression matchop regular-expression expression relop expression where a relop is any of the six relational operators in C, and a matchop is either ~ (for contains) or !~ (for does not contain). A condi- tional is an arithmetic expression, a relational expression, or a Boolean combination of these. The special patterns BEGIN and END may be used to capture control before the first input line is read and after the last. BEGIN must be the first pattern, END the last. A single character c may be used to separate the fields by starting the program with BEGIN { FS = "c" } or by using the -Fc option. Other variable names with special meanings include NF, the number of fields in the current record; NR, the ordinal number of the current record; FILENAME, the name of the current input file; OFS, the output field separator (default blank); ORS, the output record separator (default newline); and OFMT, the output format for numbers (default "%.6g"). EXAMPLES
Print lines longer than 72 characters: length > 72 Print first two fields in opposite order: { print $2, $1 } Add up first column, print sum and average: { s += $1 } END { print "sum is", s, " average is", s/NR } Print fields in reverse order: { for (i = NF; i > 0; --i) print $i } Print all lines between start/stop pairs: /start/, /stop/ Print all lines whose first field is different from previous one: $1 != prev { print; prev = $1 } SEE ALSO
lex(1), sed(1) A. V. Aho, B. W. Kernighan, P. J. Weinberger, Awk - a pattern scanning and processing language BUGS
There are no explicit conversions between numbers and strings. To force an expression to be treated as a number add 0 to it; to force it to be treated as a string concatenate "" to it. AWK(1)