Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare filename to file folder Post 302615793 by Scrutinizer on Friday 30th of March 2012 05:56:17 AM
Old 03-30-2012
Alternatively test and try this:
Code:
for dir in directory_2/*/
do 
  dir=${dir%/}
  for file in directory_1/*"${dir##*_}"*
  do 
    echo mv "$file" "$dir"
  done
done

If satisfied with the results then you can test and remove the echo statement
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare the difference between a file and a folder??

Hi, I have a .txt file which has to be compared with a folder and print the difference to some other .txt file. I did try with the diff command..i mean diff /tmp/aaa/bbb.txt /space/aaa/bbb/ /***bbb.txt contains all the files names which may or may not exist in the folder bbb..so i need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two files using filename

I want to compare two file using filename. suppose two files are same directory. what is the command for this. thanks in advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Jar/Tar to a diffent folder/same folder w/ filename

Hi, I want to extract myfile.war to a folder which is in the same folder with war file.I did this as normal: jar -xvf myfile.war But it exploded all the content of file to the same level folder instead of that I was expecting to create a folder called myfile. This works with tar: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reis3k
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking files in folder using starting string for filename

Hi, How do i check if there are any files present in the folder with some specific starting string. For eg :- I have used this where Source_File is filename parameter. if then return 2 fi But in my case the source file name is not constant. The only constant thing is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to sort files into folder according to a string in the filename

Hi all. I am very new to linux scripting and i have a task i can only solve with a script. I need to sort files base on the date string in their filenames and create a folder using the same date string then move the files to their respective folders. Scenario: Folder Path:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace47
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Need to compare two folder / FS permissions

Hi, Need to compare two folders / File systems permissions & time stamps including sub folders and files. Kindly let me know if any commands available. Regards :: VM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novaothers
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare text file and a folder

Hi, I have a folder which contains some files a1.txt a2.txt a3.txt a4.txt a5.txt a6.txt a7.txt a8.txt a_index.txt Also i have a text file which contains entries like this a1.txt a3.txt a7.txt I want to comapare this text file and folder and remove the similar values in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files in a folder based on another file

I have a file named file.txt that looks as follows //class1.txt 45 234 67 89 90 //class2.txt 456 34 78 89 120 class1 and class2.txt are the names of files in a folder named folder1. The content of class1.txt file in folder1 67 9 89 5 234 9The content of class2.txt file in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaff rufus
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a filename of a folder?

Hi, Please help me i have a file directory in .txt. inside this directory is a list of names of folders to find inside in a folder. to make more easy to understand below is my list inside .txt: foldernameA foldernameB foldernameC I need to check if those folder names are inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmarzan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all pdf an get make a folder from filename substring

Hi , i need your advice. i will find all *.pdf files and make a folder for every different prefix of file names. for example: test_21424234.pdf new_242342.pdf at the and i will that i create ( if not exits ) a new folder "test" and "new" , afterwards i will move the file in this new... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maxwill
3 Replies
SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					    SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-mkshadow - GNU shtool create shadow tree using symlinks SYNOPSIS
shtool mkshadow [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-a|--all] src-dir dst-dir DESCRIPTION
This command creates a shadow tree of src-dir under dst-dir by recreating the directory hierarchy of src-dir under dst-dir and by creating the files of src-dir by linking them into the corresponding directories under dst-dir via symbolic links. When src-dir can be reached via relative paths from dst-dir, relative symbolic links are used, too. This high-level functionality is originally designed for developers to create copies of source trees. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -a, --all Really shadow all files and directories in src-dir. Default is to skip CVS related files and directories, backup files, object files, etc. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool mkshadow -v -a . /tmp/shadow HISTORY
The GNU shtool mkshadow command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later revised and taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), ln(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)