Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove ^? characters in shell variables on using backspace Post 302614251 by sachinverma on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 11:13:27 AM
Old 03-28-2012
Thanks

stty erase ^? solved the problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script backspace not working for Unicode characters

Hello, My Perl script reads input from stdin and prints it out to stdout. After I read input I use BACKSPACE to erase characters. However BACKSPACE does not work with Unicode characters that are multi-bytes. On screen the character is erased but underneath only one byte is deleted instead of all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdw
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with checking that 2 variables contain matching characters

hi i am writing a hangman script and am having trouble checking the correct letters against the word i need the script to compare the word against the letters guessed that are correct so once all the letters within the word have been guessed it will alow me to create a wining senario eg ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsecer
3 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Check 2 variables for matching characters

hi i am writing a hangman script and am having trouble checking the correct letters against the word i need the script to compare the word against the letters guessed that are correct so once all the letters within the word have been guessed it will alow me to create a wining senario this must... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing the characters of 2 variables

hi i am writing a hangman script and am having trouble checking the correct letters against the word i need the script to compare the word against the letters guessed that are correct so once all the letters within the word have been guessed it will alow me to create a wining senario eg ... (13 Replies)
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove the last characters from each row of csv using shell script

Hi, I've a csv file seperated by '|' from which I'm trying to remove the excess '|' characters more than the existing fields. My CSV looks like as below. HRLOAD|Service|AddChange|EN PERSONID|STATUS|LASTNAME|FIRSTNAME|ITDCLIENTUSERID|ADDRESSLINE1 10000001|ACTIVE|Testazar1|Testore1|20041|||... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajak.net
24 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading control characters into variables

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script to help with some digital signature work currently being undertaken where we have a file that contains a number of rows ending with ^M. What I need to do is concatenate this using shell scripting and retain the control character. E.G. abc^M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with lines or variables that have spaces or special characters

Example: while read line do stat -c %G $line done < somefile.txtThe problem is that inside somefile.txt lines can have any symbol allowed as file name, like (). Even with spaces, it splits the words. somefile.txt:dira/my first jump.avi dirb/surf video (1080p).mkv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line

here's what im trying to do. i have a file containing lines similar to this: data.txt: 1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU 1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh hidden characters in variables

Hi. I'm getting the following hidden characters \uat the start of a string after I pass in variables from the command line. I only noticed this when I set -x in my KSH script. Can anybody tell me how this happens and how to remove them? Many thanks. + STR=$'\uusername testuser1' + print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to have local shell variables in a ksh script seen on remove server in SSH block?

I have googled this and found many solutions, but none of them are working for me. I am in a korn shell, most others reference bsh, maybe that is the issue? Anyway, all I am trying to do is use a variable I have declared in my main script in a remote shell I am running through ssh. So I have a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
8 Replies
ECHO(1) 								FSF								   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo - display a line of text SYNOPSIS
echo [OPTION]... [STRING]... DESCRIPTION
NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo which will supercede the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documenta- tion for details about the options it supports. Echo the STRING(s) to standard output. -n do not output the trailing newline -e enable interpretation of the backslash-escaped characters listed below -E disable interpretation of those sequences in STRINGs --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Without -E, the following sequences are recognized and interpolated: NNN the character whose ASCII code is NNN (octal) \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c suppress trailing newline f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab AUTHOR
Written by FIXME unknown. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for echo is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and echo programs are properly installed at your site, the command info echo should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 4.5.3 February 2003 ECHO(1)