Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print (echo) variable in a single line Post 302614085 by balajesuri on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 08:35:16 AM
Old 03-28-2012
Code:
# !/bin/sh
i=0
while [ $i -ne 10 ]
do
    j=$i
    while [ $j -ge 0 ]
    do
        echo -e "$j \c"
        j=`expr $j - 1`
    done
    echo
    i=`expr $i + 1`
done

Instead of invoking 'expr', try using ((j--)) and ((i++))

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the output in single line

Hi, Please suggest, how to get the output of below script in single line, its giving me in different lines ______________________ #!/bin/ksh export Path="/abc/def/ghi"; Home="/home/psingh/prat"; cd $Path; find $Path -name "*.C#*" -newer "abc.C#1234" -print > $Home cat $Home | while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prat007
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo to print double quotes along with variable substitution

Hi, I am generating html code using cshell, but i am having one problem while printing double quotes, I need to write following code in file. where $var contains list of web address <a href="$var">$var</a> So i am using echo "<a href="$var">$var</a>" > file.html But with this " in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo/print variable question

while read filer ; do echo $filer $1 $2; ssh $filer vfiler status -r | awk '/running/{host=$1}/Path:/{path=$2;print host,path}'; done < filers.list this will print node1 vfiler0 / vfiler2 /vol/vfiler2_vol0 vfilert /vol/vfiler_vol vfilert /vol/virt_vol where node1 = $filer. however how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riegersteve
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question - How do I print contents of an array on a single line?

I have the following code: print @testarray; which returns: 8 8 8 9 How do I return the array like this: The output is: 8, 8, 8, 9 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find 2 expressions then print in a single line

Guys, need help. I have a file that contains something like this: abc def ghi jkl I want to print the first and last line of the file and the output should be in a single line. so, output should be like this: abc jkl (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solidhelix08
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print in single line

HI I am having a flle like below . test.txt ssh aaaaaaa@bbbbbbbbb "head -1 /xxxxxx/yyyyyyy/yyyyyyy.sp.issuer_upd_fd" echo /xxxxxx/yyyyyyy/yyyyyyy.sp.issuer_upd_fd ssh aaaaaaa@bbbbbbbbb "head -1 /xxxxxx/yyyyyyy/yyyyyyy.sp.xreff_upd_gm" echo /xxxxxx/yyyyyyy/yyyyyyy.sp.xreff_upd_gm ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo printing a line in 2 lines; expected to print in one line

Dear All, fileName: therm.txt nc3h7o2h 7/27/98 thermc 3h 8o 2 0g 300.000 5000.000 1390.000 41 1.47017550e+01 1.71731699e-02-5.91205329e-06 9.21842570e-10-5.36438880e-14 2 -2.99988556e+04-4.93387892e+01 2.34710908e+00 4.34517484e-02-2.65357553e-05 3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep echo awk print all output on one line

Hello, I've been trying to find the answer to this with Google and trying to browse the forums, but I haven't been able to come up with anything. If this has already been answered, please link me to the thread as I can't find it. I've been asked to write a script that pulls a list of our CPE... (51 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwalker
51 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output to file print as single line, not separate line

example of problem: when I echo "$e" >> /home/cogiz/file.txt result prints to file as:AA BB CC I need it to save to file as this:AA BB CC I know it's probably something really simple but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Cogiz (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo print on same line while loop using variable

Currently using below script but echo it print the output in two line. Input file all-vm-final-2.txt CEALA08893 SDDC_SCUN DS_SIO_Workload_SAPUI_UAT_01 4 CEALA09546 SDDC_SCUN DS-SIO-PD5_Workload_UAT_SP1_Flash_07 4 CEALA09702 SDDC_SCUN DS-VSAN-RMP-WORKLOAD01 4 DEALA08762 SDDC_LDC... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
3 Replies
expr(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  expr(1B)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as a logical, arithmetic, or string expression SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/expr argument... DESCRIPTION
The expr utility evaluates expressions as specified by its arguments. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Each token of the expression is a separate argument, so terms of the expression must be separated by blanks. Characters special to the shell must be escaped. Note: 0 is returned to indicate a zero value, rather than the null string. Strings containing blanks or other special characters should be quoted. Integer-valued arguments may be preceded by a unary minus sign. Internally, integers are treated as 32-bit, two's-complement numbers. The operators and keywords are listed below. Characters that need to be escaped are preceded by `'. The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped within {} symbols. expr | expr Returns the evaluation of the first expr if it is neither NULL nor 0; otherwise, returns the evaluation of the second expr if it is not NULL; otherwise, 0. expr & expr Returns the first expr if neither expr is NULL or 0, otherwise returns 0. expr { =, , , <, <=, != } expr Returns the result of an integer comparison if both arguments are integers, otherwise returns the result of a lexical comparison. expr { +, - } expr Addition or subtraction of integer-valued arguments. expr { , /, % } expr Multiplication, division, or remainder of the integer-valued arguments. string : regular-expression match string regular-expression The two forms of the matching operator above are synonymous. The matching operators : and match compare the first argument with the second argument which must be a regular expression. Regular expression syntax is the same as that of regexp(5), except that all pat- terns are "anchored" (treated as if they begin with ^) and therefore ^ is not a special character, in that context. Normally, the matching operator returns the number of characters matched (0 on failure). Alternatively, the ... pattern symbols can be used to return a portion of the first argument. substr string integer-1 integer-2 Extracts the substring of string starting at position integer-1 and of length integer-2 characters. If integer-1 has a value greater than the length of string, expr returns a null string. If you try to extract more characters than there are in string, expr returns all the remaining characters from string. Beware of using negative values for either integer-1 or integer-2 as expr tends to run forever in these cases. index string character-list Reports the first position in string at which any one of the characters in character-list matches a character in string. length string Returns the length (that is, the number of characters) of string. ( expr ) Parentheses may be used for grouping. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Adding an integer to a shell variable Add 1 to the shell variable a. a='expr $a + 1' Example 2 Returning a path name segment Return the last segment of a path name (that is, the filename part). Watch out for / alone as an argument: expr will take it as the divi- sion operator (see BUGS below). # 'For $a equal to either "/usr/abc/file" or just "file"' expr $a : '.*/ $a Example 3 Using // characters to simplify the expression The addition of the // characters eliminates any ambiguity about the division operator and simplifies the whole expression. # A better representation of example 2. expr //$a : '.*/ Example 4 Returning the value of a variable Returns the number of characters in $VAR. expr $VAR : '.*' EXIT STATUS
expr returns the following exit codes: 0 If the expression is neither NULL nor 0. 1 If the expression is NULL or 0. 2 For invalid expressions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1), attributes(5), regexp(5) DIAGNOSTICS
syntax error for operator/operand errors non-numeric argument if arithmetic is attempted on such a string division by zero if an attempt to divide by zero is made BUGS
After argument processing by the shell, expr cannot tell the difference between an operator and an operand except by the value. If $a is an =, the command: expr $a = '=' looks like: expr = = = as the arguments are passed to expr (and they will all be taken as the = operator). The following works: expr X$a = X= Note: the match, substr, length, and index operators cannot themselves be used as ordinary strings. That is, the expression: example% expr index expurgatorious length syntax error example% generates the `syntax error' message as shown instead of the value 1 as you might expect. SunOS 5.11 6 Jun 2000 expr(1B)