Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search backwards to certain string Post 302613547 by methyl on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 12:13:22 PM
Old 03-27-2012
A completely different approach, but unsuitable for very large files because it does an extra pass of the file for each error found.
Works by numbering the lines in the input stream, finding each occurance of "No BC record found" and then scanning the ten lines above that record for the last occurrence of a record containing "Policy".

Code:
cat -n filename.txt | grep "No BC record found"|awk '{print $1}' | while read E1
do
        # Line ten lines above "No BC record found"
        E2=$((${E1} - 10))
        if [ ${E2} -le 0 ]
        then
                E2=1
        fi
        # Line number one line above "No BC record found"
        E3=$((E1 -1))
        # Search 10 line block to just above "No BC record found"
        sed -n "${E2},${E3}p;${E3}q" filename.txt | \
                grep "Policy" | tail -1 | awk '{print $3}'
done

./scriptname

... and I know that it has a "cat" command in it !

Last edited by methyl; 03-27-2012 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: spellin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search backwards

Hi, I have a variable , lets say a=/disk1/net/first.ksh i need to grep "first.ksh" everytime "a" gets changed dynamically and i do not know how many '"/" are there in my variable. Can somebody help me out. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search backwards relative to a string

Hi, I have to search for first occurenceof string str1 in a file(>5GB). Now, after I have that , I have to search backwards from that offset till I get another string str2. I should also be able to get the new string str2's offset. Similarly, I look for last occurence of str1 and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finder255
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search backwards in a log file by timestamp of entries?

Hello. I'm not nearly good enough with awk/perl to create the logfile scraping script that my boss is insisting we need immediately. Here is a brief 3-line excerpt from the access.log file in question (actual URL domain changed to 'aaa.com'): 209.253.130.36 - - "GET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevinmccallum
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for string and replace backwards

I'm new to Unix scripting and I'm not sure if this can be done. Example: search (grep) in a file for 'Control ID' and then replace with 4 blanks 7 bytes before 'Control ID. input "xxxxxx1234xxxxxxxControl IDxxxxxx" output: "xxxxxx xxxxxxxControl IDxxxxxx" thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbt828
7 Replies

6. Programming

How to search a file based on a time stamp backwards 10 seconds

Hi all, I'm after some help with this small issue which i'm struggling to work out a fix for. I have a file that contains records that all have a time stamp for each individual record, i need to search the file for a specific time stamp and then search back 10 seconds to see if the number... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp3arsy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: find and replace backwards, until string

Some help please: Need to find string ||(everything in front of it)B0300|| and replace it with ||0|| globally In: 16112121||||0||0||0||0||0||52||52||0||0||0||0||1507200053342B0300||1507200053342B0300||0||0||0||0700 Out: 16112121||||0||0||0||0||0||52||52||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0700 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
tre-agrep(1)						      General Commands Manual						      tre-agrep(1)

NAME
tre-agrep - print lines approximately matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
tre-agrep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Searches for approximate matches of PATTERN in each FILE or standard input. Example: `tre-agrep -2 optimize foo.txt' outputs all lines in file `foo.txt' that match "optimize" within two errors. E.g. lines which contain "optimise", "optmise", and "opitmize" all match. OPTIONS
Regexp selection and interpretation: -e PATTERN, --regexp=PATTERN Use PATTERN as a regular expression; useful to protect patterns beginning with -. -i, --ignore-case Ignore case distinctions (as defined by the current locale) in PATTERN and input files. -k, --literal Treat PATTERN as a literal string, that is, a fixed string with no special characters. -w, --word-regexp Force PATTERN to match only whole words. A "whole word" is a substring which either starts at the beginning or the record or is preceded by a non-word constituent character. Similarly, the substring must either end at the end of the record or be followed by a non-word constituent character. Word-constituent characters are alphanumerics (as defined by the current locale) and the under- score character. Note that the non-word constituent characters must surround the match; they cannot be counted as errors. Approximate matching settings: -D NUM, --delete-cost=NUM Set cost of missing characters to NUM. -I NUM, --insert-cost=NUM Set cost of extra characters to NUM. -S NUM, --substitute-cost=NUM Set cost of incorrect characters to NUM. Note that a deletion (a missing character) and an insertion (an extra character) together constitute a substituted character, but the cost will be the that of a deletion and an insertion added together. Thus, if the const of a substitution is set to be larger than the sum of the costs of deletion and insertion, direct substitutions will never be done. -E NUM, --max-errors=NUM Select records that have at most NUM errors. -# Select records that have at most # errors (# is a digit between 0 and 9). Miscellaneous: -d PATTERN, --delimiter=PATTERN Set the record delimiter regular expression to PATTERN. The text between two delimiters, before the first delimiter, and after the last delimiter is considered to be a record. The default record delimiter is the regexp " ", so by default a record is a line. PATTERN can be any regular expression that does not match the empty string. For example, using -d "^From " defines mail messages as records in a Mailbox format file. -v, --invert-match Select non-matching records instead of matching records. -V, --version Print version information and exit. -y, --nothing Does nothing. This options exists only for compatibility with the non-free agrep program. --help Display a brief help message and exit. Output control: -B, --best-match Only output the best matching records, that is, the records with the lowest cost. This is currently implemented by making two passes over the input files and cannot be used when reading from standard input. --color, --colour Highlight the matching strings in the output with a color marker. The color string is taken from the GREP_COLOR environment vari- able. The default color is red. -c, --count Only print a count of matching records per each input file, suppressing normal output. -h, --no-filename Suppress the prefixing filename on output when multiple files are searched. -H, --with-filename Prefix each output record with the name of the input file where the record was read from. -l, --files-with-matches Only print the name of each input file which contains at least one match, suppressing normal output. The scanning for each file will stop on the first match. -n, --record-number Prefix each output record with its sequence number in the input file. The number of the first record is 1. -q, --quiet, --silent Do not write anything to standard output. Exit immediately with zero exit status if a match is found. -s, --show-cost Print match cost with output. --show-position Prefix each output record with the start and end offset of the first match within the record. The offset of the first character of the record is 0. The end position is given as the offset of the first character after the match. -M, --delimiter-after By default, the record delimiter is the newline character and is output after the matching record. If -d is used, the record delim- iter will be output before the matching record. This option causes the delimiter to be output after the matching record. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, reads standard input. If less than two FILEs are given -h is assumed, otherwise -H is the default. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if a match is found, 1 for no match, and 2 if there were errors. If -E or -# is not specified, only exact matches are selected. PATTERN is a POSIX extended regular expression (ERE) with the TRE extensions. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the TRE mailing list <tre-general@lists.laurikari.net>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 Ville Laurikari. This is free software, and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You are welcome to redistribute this software under certain conditions; see the source for the full license text. TRE agrep 0.8.0 November 21, 2004 tre-agrep(1)