Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with tar/pax
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with tar/pax Post 302613507 by pinnacle on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 11:03:34 AM
Old 03-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by agama
I don't use pax very often, but I think this will do what you want:

Code:
pax -s "!.*/!!" -f data.tar -k -r /foo/bar/input.txt

It should extract only input.txt to the current directory, and should not try to create the directory structure (/foo/bar in this case) above it. If you use the 'p' option on the substitution parameter (-s) it will print all of the filenames, not just the ones that match the ones given on the command line. The -k option should issue a warning, and not overwrite the file already on disk, if a file exists.

I used bangs (!) in the substitution parameter as it avoids needing to escape the slant and thus is easier to read.

I also believe you can use a pattern so somethingg like "/foo/bar/*.txt" would pull all .txt files from the archive and place them in the current directory. (Quotes are needed here to prevent glob expansion matching anything in the current driectory.)

Hope this gets you a bit further along.

Thanks agama this works great except a minor change is needed.

Instead of untarring the file in current directory i would like to untar it to any other directory of my choice. What should be the change.

I understood what the command is doing except the following piece.

Code:

-s "!.*/!!"

I understand it is replacing the directory path but not completley understand it.

Would appreciate you inputs on this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to retain text using pax

I have a .tar file consisting of text and binary files. I ftp'd the .tar file using ftp binary. when I did the pax to unwind the tar file, I noiticed that the text files were encoded in binary. **How would I retain the text characteristics of the ascii text files, while also keeping the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: idic5
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris and PAX

I am having trouble with the pax command on Saris. I want to sue it to untar a file to a different directory. So if mytar.tar conatins files that were in /u02/mydir/mydir2/mydir3, I want to untar them to /export/home/mydir. An example I have is: pax -r -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
2 Replies

3. AIX

PAX error on retrieving from tape

Hi, I am using AIX 5.3.0.0 and Ultrium LTO3 Tape Drive as rmt1. I have backup some of my database file using command "pax" as pax -wvf /dev/rmt1 "./data01/abc.dmp" But when I tried to read the file from tape by issuing the command, pax -vf /dev/rmt1 The error message displayed as pax:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pax help

we created a TAR file ( souce /opt/oracle/10.2) . If we want to extract it diff directory say (/tmp) . I know we can use pax to do this .but inside TAR we have absolute path ref . if we pax does it replaces absolute path in TAR ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pax me out

hi I am using this command pax -f /Unix/codes/code.tar -r -s::/Unix/archive: objective is to transfer tar file /Unix/codes/code.tar to /Unix/archive with untarring done . For this reason i am using pax and not tar -xvf as we cant specify untarred destination in that the problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar/cpio/pax read patterns from stdin

tar has the -T operand for reading patterns from a file. Is there any way to read patterns from stdin, without creating a temp file? I would like to avoid iterating over the archive repeatedly (e.g. with a loop or xargs) as this is a large archive and we're only extracting a small number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between 'pax', 'tar', and cpio

Could any one please help me in understanding the difference between pax,tar and cpio. all of them basically creates archive files. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshi123
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using pax to restore into current directory?

Hello, I have a tape backup (it was made using dd/tar) and I want to use dd/pax to restore tape to disk, in IBM AIX 7.2. I can restore from tape using example below without issues. #/usr/bin/dd bs=128k if=/dev/rmt0 | /usr/bin/pax -r -v /home/c3rb3rus/utils/* USTAR format archive... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
6 Replies
File::Basename(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       File::Basename(3pm)

NAME
File::Basename - Parse file paths into directory, filename and suffix. SYNOPSIS
use File::Basename; ($name,$path,$suffix) = fileparse($fullname,@suffixlist); $name = fileparse($fullname,@suffixlist); $basename = basename($fullname,@suffixlist); $dirname = dirname($fullname); DESCRIPTION
These routines allow you to parse file paths into their directory, filename and suffix. NOTE: "dirname()" and "basename()" emulate the behaviours, and quirks, of the shell and C functions of the same name. See each function's documentation for details. If your concern is just parsing paths it is safer to use File::Spec's "splitpath()" and "splitdir()" methods. It is guaranteed that # Where $path_separator is / for Unix, for Windows, etc... dirname($path) . $path_separator . basename($path); is equivalent to the original path for all systems but VMS. "fileparse" my($filename, $directories, $suffix) = fileparse($path); my($filename, $directories, $suffix) = fileparse($path, @suffixes); my $filename = fileparse($path, @suffixes); The "fileparse()" routine divides a file path into its $directories, $filename and (optionally) the filename $suffix. $directories contains everything up to and including the last directory separator in the $path including the volume (if applicable). The remainder of the $path is the $filename. # On Unix returns ("baz", "/foo/bar/", "") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz"); # On Windows returns ("baz", 'C:fooar', "") fileparse('C:fooaraz'); # On Unix returns ("", "/foo/bar/baz/", "") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz/"); If @suffixes are given each element is a pattern (either a string or a "qr//") matched against the end of the $filename. The matching portion is removed and becomes the $suffix. # On Unix returns ("baz", "/foo/bar/", ".txt") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz.txt", qr/.[^.]*/); If type is non-Unix (see "fileparse_set_fstype") then the pattern matching for suffix removal is performed case-insensitively, since those systems are not case-sensitive when opening existing files. You are guaranteed that "$directories . $filename . $suffix" will denote the same location as the original $path. "basename" my $filename = basename($path); my $filename = basename($path, @suffixes); This function is provided for compatibility with the Unix shell command basename(1). It does NOT always return the file name portion of a path as you might expect. To be safe, if you want the file name portion of a path use "fileparse()". "basename()" returns the last level of a filepath even if the last level is clearly directory. In effect, it is acting like "pop()" for paths. This differs from "fileparse()"'s behaviour. # Both return "bar" basename("/foo/bar"); basename("/foo/bar/"); @suffixes work as in "fileparse()" except all regex metacharacters are quoted. # These two function calls are equivalent. my $filename = basename("/foo/bar/baz.txt", ".txt"); my $filename = fileparse("/foo/bar/baz.txt", qr/Q.txtE/); Also note that in order to be compatible with the shell command, "basename()" does not strip off a suffix if it is identical to the remaining characters in the filename. "dirname" This function is provided for compatibility with the Unix shell command dirname(1) and has inherited some of its quirks. In spite of its name it does NOT always return the directory name as you might expect. To be safe, if you want the directory name of a path use "fileparse()". Only on VMS (where there is no ambiguity between the file and directory portions of a path) and AmigaOS (possibly due to an implementation quirk in this module) does "dirname()" work like "fileparse($path)", returning just the $directories. # On VMS and AmigaOS my $directories = dirname($path); When using Unix or MSDOS syntax this emulates the dirname(1) shell function which is subtly different from how "fileparse()" works. It returns all but the last level of a file path even if the last level is clearly a directory. In effect, it is not returning the directory portion but simply the path one level up acting like "chop()" for file paths. Also unlike "fileparse()", "dirname()" does not include a trailing slash on its returned path. # returns /foo/bar. fileparse() would return /foo/bar/ dirname("/foo/bar/baz"); # also returns /foo/bar despite the fact that baz is clearly a # directory. fileparse() would return /foo/bar/baz/ dirname("/foo/bar/baz/"); # returns '.'. fileparse() would return 'foo/' dirname("foo/"); Under VMS, if there is no directory information in the $path, then the current default device and directory is used. "fileparse_set_fstype" my $type = fileparse_set_fstype(); my $previous_type = fileparse_set_fstype($type); Normally File::Basename will assume a file path type native to your current operating system (ie. /foo/bar style on Unix, fooar on Windows, etc...). With this function you can override that assumption. Valid $types are "MacOS", "VMS", "AmigaOS", "OS2", "RISCOS", "MSWin32", "DOS" (also "MSDOS" for backwards bug compatibility), "Epoc" and "Unix" (all case-insensitive). If an unrecognized $type is given "Unix" will be assumed. If you've selected VMS syntax, and the file specification you pass to one of these routines contains a "/", they assume you are using Unix emulation and apply the Unix syntax rules instead, for that function call only. SEE ALSO
dirname(1), basename(1), File::Spec perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 File::Basename(3pm)