Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a shell script to compare two directories and produces the output Post 302613371 by muraliinfy04 on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 07:04:16 AM
Old 03-27-2012
Bug Need a shell script to compare two directories and produces the output

Hi,
I am using solaris OS 10 and Bash shell.I need a script which will compare the two directories and produces the output.
Step 1: In detail say suppoose I have machine one and have a directory dir1. Script should iterate through the directories and subdirectories inside and produce the output say output1.txt.

second step: I have a machine 2 and directory say dir2.script again iterate through the directories and subdirectories inside and produce an output say output2.txt

third step: need to compare the two files say output1.txt and output2.txt and if you found any difference in the two output files generate the output to new text file say output3.txt.

I am new to shell scripting. Appreciate your help on it.

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 03-27-2012 at 08:11 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

vgscan produces no output using file descriptors on Oracle Enterprise Linux.

I wrote a simple program which will create a child process to execute a command and the output will be redirected to the file. Please have a look at the following code -> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h> void execute(char **argv) { ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandiworld
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files in two directories and output changed files to third directory

I have searched about 30 threads, a load of Google pages and cannot find what I am looking for. I have some of the parts but not the whole. I cannot seem to get the puzzle fit together. I have three folders, two of which contain different versions of multiple files, dist/file1.php dist/file2.php... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkeep
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -n1 -r -p "Press..." key / produces error in bash shell script

Hello! Sorry, for my not so perfect english! I want to stop bash shell script execution until any key is pressed. This line in a bash shell script read -n1 -r -p "Press any key to continue..." key produces this error When I run this from the command line usera@lynx:~$ read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxinho
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip produces different output from the same input

Hi there, I'm puzzled. Compressing the same file (same name, same md5sum) at two different times will produce a different output. I mean the md5sum of the resulting .gz files are different. Does it make any sens to any of you? I'd like some explanations if you know what's going on. Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell Script to compare xml files and print output to a file

All, PLease can you help me with a shell script which can compare two xml files and print the difference to a output file. I have attached one such file for you reference. <Group> <Member ID=":Year_Quad:41501" childCount="4" fullPath="PEPSICO Year-Quad-Wk : FOLDER.52 Weeks Ending Dec... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanthrajgowda
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

2. Write a shell script that produces some summary information of the system at a particular moment

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: 3. The attempts at a solution (include all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsk319342
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sort command produces strange output

cat a .a ba .b bb .c bc sort a .a .b ba bb bc .c NOTE: .a and .b appears before ba and bb, where as .c appears after bc. In general (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajb
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & Copy Directories : Bash Script Help

Beginner/Intermediate shell; comfortable in the command line. I have been looking for a solution to a backup problem. I need to compare Directory 1 to Directory 2 and copy all modified or new files/directories from Directory 1 to Directory 3. I need the directory and file structure to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rod
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to compare directories and delete files on target server

Hello, I need help in writing the shell script for below mentioned case. There are 2 servers(server A, server B). A cronjob syncs files between these 2 servers. Existing script is copying files from A to B. This is done using the command rsync. However, the files are not deleted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SravaniVedam11
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk runs and produces output but with error

When I run the awk below, I get an error message awk -v OFS='\t' '$(NF-1)=="Benign" || ($(NF-2) OFS $(NF-1))=="Likely Benign" {$(NF)=$(NF-2) OFS $(NF-1)} {print $0 }' input awk: cmd. line:1: (FILENAME=VUS FNR=8) fatal: attempt to access field -1 input Chr Start End Ref ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)