Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting meaning of today=${1:-${today}} Post 302612715 by Vidhyaprakash on Monday 26th of March 2012 09:35:14 AM
Old 03-26-2012
meaning of today=${1:-${today}}

what does today=${1:-${today}} mean???

I saw a script which has these two lines:
today=`date '+%y%m%d'`
today=${1:-${today}}

but both gives the same value for $today

Code:
user:/export/home/user>today=`date '+%y%m%d'`
user:/export/home/user>echo $today
user:/export/home/user>today=${1:-${today}}
user:/export/home/user>today=
user:/export/home/user>today=${1:-${today}}

user:/export/home/user>

Can someone please let me know, what actually today=${1:-${today}}
means???

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list today's files

Hi, I am trying to list names of only today's files OR say, files which are not older than 1 hour and copy them in 'list.txt' file. I know, :ls > list.txt will list all the files. But, how to list today's files? Any help will be appriciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep out only today's date

Hi, I have some log files. I've been asked to grep out error messages that have happened ONLY today. (However, the logs keep messages a long time so they have error messages going back weeks) They log details in these fields (order): Month Day Time Server message I can grep out the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
8 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

How Would You Like Your Loops Served Today?

Scrutinizer and i had a discussion about loops in shell scripts and you might be interested in joining in and share your experiences: i wrote an example script which basically employed the following logic: cat /some/file | while read var ; do echo var = $var # just do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check, if date is not today

hello, in a file exist entries in date format YYYYMMDD. i want to find out, if there are dates, which isn't today's date. file: date example text 20140714 <= not today's date 20140715 <= not today's date 20140716 <= today's date my idea is to use Perderabo's datecalc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies
CALENDAR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       CALENDAR(1)

NAME
calendar - reminder service SYNOPSIS
calendar [ - ] DESCRIPTION
Calendar consults the file `calendar' in the current directory and prints out lines that contain today's or tomorrow's date anywhere in the line. Most reasonable month-day dates such as `Dec. 7,' `december 7,' `12/7,' etc., are recognized, but not `7 December' or `7/12'. If you give the month as ``*'' with a date, i.e. ``* 1'', that day in any month will do. On weekends `tomorrow' extends through Monday. When an argument is present, calendar does its job for every user who has a file `calendar' in his login directory and sends him any posi- tive results by mail(1). Normally this is done daily in the wee hours under control of cron(8). The file `calendar' is first run through the ``C'' preprocessor, /lib/cpp, to include any other calendar files specified with the usual ``#include'' syntax. Included calendars will usually be shared by all users, maintained and documented by the local administration. FILES
calendar /usr/libexec/calendar to figure out today's and tomorrow's dates /etc/passwd /tmp/cal* /lib/cpp, egrep, sed, mail as subprocesses SEE ALSO
at(1), cron(8), mail(1) BUGS
Calendar's extended idea of `tomorrow' doesn't account for holidays. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 CALENDAR(1)