Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search file in a unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search file in a unix Post 302612471 by shanmu on Monday 26th of March 2012 02:22:04 AM
Old 03-26-2012
search file in a unix

Hi,

You can use find command ,

Code:
find `pwd` -name "partoffilename"

if you need to get the full path means you can use this

cheers,
shanmu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix search a string in the text file

File name : Sample.txt Actually i would like to read <schema>Oracle<schema> string from input file and return only once database as my output. Please advise me. Moved to appropriate forum. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balajikalai
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix script to search within a .tar or .gz file

HI, I want to get few line from the file which is in .gz file. .gz file contains many txt files and I want to search a string in all these txt files and need to get the previous 3 line as output including current line(where search string present). I tried the zgrep and got the line number,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sateesh512
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in retrieving log from a UNIX file using the search patterns

Hi everyone, I am trying to retrieve certain log from a big file. The log size can be from 200 - 600 lines. I have 3 search patterns, out of which 2 (first and last lines) search patterns are common for all the transactions but 3rd search pattern (occurs in the middle of transaction) is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrayudu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and append words in the same file using unix scripting file operations

Hi , I have a file myhost.txt which contains below, 127.0.0.1 localhost 1.17.1.5 atrpx958 11.17.10.11 atrpx958zone nsybhost I need to append words only after "atrpx958" like 'myhost' and 'libhost' and not after atrpx958zone. How to search the word atrpx958(which is hostname) only,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsreeni
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX: Search file between two Date stamps

Hi, I have a requirement to find a file based on date stamp provided by user. In one of the shared location I get data file say “datafile<dataformat>“. And User will provide the date based on which I need to select a file which is 7 days older, if a file not present within 7 days, then I need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhosh86467
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX shell script to search a string in a file

Hi folks, I am new for shell script, I hope somebody to help me to write shell script My requirement is below steps 1. I have apache access.log i.e located in /var/log/httpd/ Ex. 127.0.0.1 - - "GET... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Scripting help to input string and search a file to find

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input within a file I know will have to use the read and grep commands, anyone can give me somewhere to start would help Task: Write a script to display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 12ic11
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input within a file I know will have to use the read and grep commands, anyone can give me somewhere to start would help Task: Write a script to display which volume pool a given... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi Don, this is not homework question. I work for a Credit card company and my development goal this year is to learn Unix. I would love if others can help me get started, thanks. Hi everyone I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a file which is also present in another file in UNIX

Hi there, I am new to Unix and had below requirement to finish my task. I have file1.dat which has data as shown below. case1.txt case2.txt case3.txt case4.txt file1.dat has only file names I have folder which has above files mentioned in file1.dat ./all_files case1.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj028
6 Replies