Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Reading long options in C++ program Post 302611867 by kristinu on Friday 23rd of March 2012 04:38:25 PM
Old 03-23-2012
Reading long options in C++ program

I am reading arguments passed to a C++ program which accepts long options.

Long options start with '--', with the value joined with the option by an = sign, with no intervening spaces.

An example is as follows:

Code:
programName --vdz=15.0

I want to store 'vdz' in variable 'key', whereas 15.0 is stored in variable 'value'.

However I also need to find the character string starting from the first occurance of '='. I call it 'after'. Then assign 'value' by going to the second character position onward.

Code is as follows:
Code:
const char* after = strchr(argv[i], '=');
if (after != NULL) const char* value = after + 1;

Well, 'after' can be viewed as the value I want. Thus I am wondering whether I can assign 'value' immediately, or come up with a better descriptive variable name than 'after'.

Any suggestions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading long filenames from nero to AIX

One of my colleagues is having an issue moving files between a windows box and the AIX servers in the office. The filenames are being truncated though i don't know to what extent. He's using Nero to burn the CD and I think he mentioned he's using Joliet. I found another thread that shows a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: categoryzd
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script to run the commands reading options from local file

I have to use shell script to run series of commands on another unix box by connecting through SSH and giving user credentials. For running commands on remote machine I have to use options reading from a local file. Process: Connecting to remote unix server <host1.ibm.com> through ssh Login: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsprout
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using getopt for both short and long options

Hi , I am using getopt for both short and long options as below SHORTOPTS="a:c" LONGOPTS="alpha:,charlie" OPTS=$(getopt -o $SHORTOPTS --longoptions $LONGOPTS -n "$progname" -- "$@") eval set -- "$OPTS" while ; do case $1 in -a|--alpha) echo "-a or --alpha... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi , I am using getopt for both short and long options as below SHORTOPTS="a:c" LONGOPTS="alpha:,charlie" OPTS=$(getopt -o $SHORTOPTS --longoptions $LONGOPTS -n "$progname" -- "$@") eval set -- "$OPTS" while ; do case $1 in -a|--alpha) echo "-a or --alpha... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi , I am using getopt for both short and long options as below SHORTOPTS="a:c" LONGOPTS="alpha:,charlie" OPTS=$(getopt -o $SHORTOPTS --longoptions $LONGOPTS -n "$progname" -- "$@") eval set -- "$OPTS" while ; do case $1 in -a|--alpha) echo "-a or --alpha... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading command options one by one

Hi, Just some questions on the script below...? Given: bash-2.03$ command -a option1 name1 name2 ParseOptions() { local Len=${#@} local Ctr=2 #always start at 2 local Name=() local Iter=0 while ; do if <- Is this correct? so I can get the $2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading command line options from bash script

I have the following code and I am calling it using ./raytrac.bash -u and getting problems. For some reason opt_usage is still 0. opt_usage=0 iarg=0 narg=$# while (($iarg < $narg)) do (( iarg = $iarg + 1 )) arg=$argv usrInputFlag=`echo $arg | awk '/=/ {print 1}; ! /=/... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display a message if program hangs(takes too long)

I have a ksh script (script1) that calls another ksh script (script2). If script2.ksh hangs or takes too long to execute I want script1.ksh to kill the call to script2.ksh and instead just display "Script2 can't run right now". Could someone help me with coding this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :: Getopt::Long in the program

While going through some of the perl script... I had found the below line.. use Getopt::Long; my $GetOptionsReturnCode = GetOptions ( '<>' => sub { push(@unknownArg, @_); }, 'h|help' => sub { &helpMessage(); exit 0; }, ); Could anyone please explain the above one ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a long literal continued next line

I am trying to identify all messages or prompts from a number of COBOL programs and they can usually be identified by a pair of double quotes on one line. However, sometimes the literal will not be finished on the first line but after a dash in column 7 of the next line, the literal will be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)