Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System Calls using C w/BASH
Top Forums Programming System Calls using C w/BASH Post 302611727 by whyte_rhyno on Friday 23rd of March 2012 11:14:03 AM
Old 03-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Your buffer only has five bytes of space.

Writing beyond that is rampaging through stack space, overwriting every local variable behind it until it finds and corrupts your stack frame itself, crashing your program the next time it tries to do anything to the stack.

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{

int i;
    char theCommand[16384] = "cat ";

for (i = 1; i < argc; i++)
    {
        strcat(theCommand, argv[i]);
    }
    strcat(theCommand, " >> testfile.txt");
    system(theCommand);

return 0;
}

D'oh! That would explain the segmentation fault, then.

Thank you very much for your help!

I had to put some white space in between the files because it was concatenating them together like: file.txtfile2.txtfile3.txt, is this the acceptable way of doing it (below)?

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{

int i;
    char theCommand[16384] = "cat ";

for (i = 1; i < argc; i++)
    {
        strcat(theCommand, argv[i]);
        strcat(theCommand, " ");
    }
    strcat(theCommand, " >> testfile.txt");
    system(theCommand);

return 0;
 }

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. Programming

System calls

why user is not able to switch from user to kernel mode by writing the function whose code is identical to system call. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
1 Replies

7. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

c++ calls bash

hi, i'm a noob i have a quuestion: is possible to call and run the bash script by c++ program? if so, is it posible in grafic? specially Qt ? thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3.14.TR
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - print differences between two files SYNOPSIS
diff [-c | -e | -C n] [-br]file1 file2 OPTIONS
-C n Produce output that contains n lines of context -b Ignore white space when comparing -c Produce output that contains three lines of context -e Produce an ed-script to convert file1 into file2 -r Apply diff recursively to files and directories of EXAMPLES
diff file1 file2 # Print differences between 2 files diff -C 0 file1 file2 # Same as above diff -C 3 file1 file2 # Output three lines of context with every diff -c file1 file2 # Same diff /etc /dev # Compares recursively the directories /etc and /dev diff passwd /etc # Compares ./passwd to /etc/passwd DESCRIPTION
the same name, when file1 and file2 are both directories" difference encountered" Diff compares two files and generates a list of lines telling how the two files differ. Lines may not be longer than 128 characters. If the two arguments on the command line are both directories, diff recursively steps through all subdirectories comparing files of the same name. If a file name is found only in one directory, a diagnostic message is written to stdout. A file that is of either block special, character special or FIFO special type, cannot be compared to any other file. On the other hand, if there is one directory and one file given on the command line, diff tries to compare the file with the same name as file in the directory directory. SEE ALSO
cdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), patch(1). DIFF(1)