Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Problem while traversing directories Post 302611621 by davis7son on Friday 23rd of March 2012 07:59:39 AM
Old 03-23-2012
Problem while traversing directories

I was given to create a backup of all files in a given directory(command line argument) into say /home/vishal/back and the back up files must be accordingly to the extension of the file i.e pdf files are saved in back/pdf doc files back/doc etc . I gave a recursive function to traverse through the given directory but im getting correct answers until this case exists

say the user gave user/yyy and lets say directroy yyy contains 2 directories xxx and zzz and one file say op.doc. If say xxx has 2 other directories and also some file,(there is no error when there is only directories and no file ). Here is my code ... please help

recur() <<<<recursive function>>>>>
{
echo $1
cd $1
for i in *
do
if [ -d $i ]
then recur $1/$i

else
filename=$i
extension=$(echo ${filename}|awk -F\. '{print $2}')
cd /home/vishal/back
count=0
for p in *
do
typ=$(echo ${p})
if [ $extension = $typ ]
then count=1
break
fi
done

if [ $count -eq 1 ]
then cp $1/$filename /home/vishal/back/$typ/
else
mkdir /home/vishal/back/$extension/
cp $1/$filename /home/vishal/back/$extension/
fi

fi

done
cd $1
cd ..
}

recur $1 <<<<$1 is user given directory>>>>>>>

Lovely University, India , Prof Kumar Patel, CS Engineering
This User Gave Thanks to davis7son For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Traversing a file system

I'm pretty new at this UNIX stuff, and this may be a simple question but I'm kind of stuck :confused: Let's say I have a large directory structure of .essay files, where I saved all of the essays that I did over the last few years. Not all of the .essay files are in the same directory (all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hooj
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traversing thru dirs and deleting files based on date

Hi Folks I am pretty new to unix and shellscripting. I need help on writing logic on traversing recursively through a set of directories under a top-level folder and delete files(mostly text) which are 1 month old. Can you people help me on this? Thanks a lot Ravi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi2082
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Traversing Pascal/Delphi code using GVim

Hi, I am using GVim as editor... and i am viewing code of pascal/ delphi.. my problem is its difficult to use GVim as source code browser.... normally ctags helps to traverse in vim for c/c++.. is there anything like that for pascal/ delphi to minimise this complication of each... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SankarV
0 Replies

4. Programming

Vector Traversing

Hi i have the following structure struct S { char Mod_num; char val; char chr_nm_cd; } I am reading a 2GB file and inserting into the structure and writing into a vector. I feel like only vector will be a right option. I tried with multimap but it is memory intensive and hence i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script for traversing directory

hi please suggest a korn script which will traverse all subdirectory in the current directory? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilayans
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find directory name while traversing subdirectories

Hi, I have a parent directory in which I have sub directories of different depth /usr/usr1/user2/671 /usr/usr1/672 /usr/user2/user1/673 /usr/user2/user3/user4/674 And I need the names of all the directories that which starts only with 6 in a file. Thanks, (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
12 Replies

7. Programming

Traversing in Array of pointers

Please find the below program. the requirement and description of the program also given: ganesh@ubuntu:~/my_programs/c/letusc/chap9$ cat fa.c.old /* Program : write a program to count the number of 'e' in thefollowing array of pointers to strings: char *s = { "We will teach you how... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

traversing a string

I am writing a script which will read a word and say how many vowels and consonants does the word contain. but i dont know how to traverse a string in shell scripting. if it was in C i'd have done something like this: cout<<"plz enter the word"<<endl; cin>>word; int consonants, vowels;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
4 Replies

9. Programming

How to reverse a linked list by traversing only once.?

Program to reverse a linked list by traversing only once. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VSSajjan
1 Replies

10. Programming

Traversing member of structure of vector C++

Hello, I want to loop thru a vector composed of many entries as structure, which contains sequenceID and sequence. At looping, delete any structure if the sequence is a perfect-match substring of another sequence of any other structure, so that the resulted vector contains only unique sequences.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies
NTDBBACKUP(8)						    System Administration tools 					     NTDBBACKUP(8)

NAME
ntdbbackup - tool for backing up and for validating the integrity of samba .ntdb files SYNOPSIS
ntdbbackup [-s suffix] [-v] [-h] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(1) suite. ntdbbackup is a tool that may be used to backup samba .ntdb files. This tool may also be used to verify the integrity of the .ntdb files prior to samba startup or during normal operation. If it finds file damage and it finds a prior backup the backup file will be restored. OPTIONS
-h Get help information. -s suffix The -s option allows the administrator to specify a file backup extension. This way it is possible to keep a history of ntdb backup files by using a new suffix for each backup. -v The -v will check the database for damages (corrupt data) which if detected causes the backup to be restored. COMMANDS
GENERAL INFORMATION The ntdbbackup utility can safely be run at any time. It was designed so that it can be used at any time to validate the integrity of ntdb files, even during Samba operation. Typical usage for the command will be: ntdbbackup [-s suffix] *.ntdb Before restarting samba the following command may be run to validate .ntdb files: ntdbbackup -v [-s suffix] *.ntdb Note that Samba 4 can use .tdb files instead, so you should use tdbbackup on those files. Samba .tdb and .ntdb files are stored in various locations, be sure to run backup all .(n)tdb files on the system. Important files includes: o secrets.(n)tdb - usual location is in the /usr/local/samba/private directory, or on some systems in /etc/samba. o passdb.(n)tdb - usual location is in the /usr/local/samba/private directory, or on some systems in /etc/samba. o *.tdb and *.ntdb located in the /usr/local/samba/var directory or on some systems in the /var/cache or /var/lib/samba directories. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 4 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
tdbbackup(8), ntdbrestore(8) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The ntdbbackup man page was written by Rusty Russell, based on the tdbbackup man page by John H Terpstra. Samba 4.1 06/17/2014 NTDBBACKUP(8)