Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Reading command line arguments and setting up values if option not provided Post 302611429 by Corona688 on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 08:50:57 PM
Old 03-22-2012
You've not defined any of your classes as usual so I have no idea what any of your code is doing.

The easiest way to set a default is to just set the value in the first place. If there's another value found, overwrite the original.

Code:
int var=32;

if(has_value) var=get_value;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Reading 2 arguments from a command line

If no arguments are entered I wanna be able to read 2 arguments, i have done like this but it doesnt work: x=0 until #loop starts do if ; then echo No arguments were entered, please enter 2 arguments. read $1 $2 elif || ; then echo $#... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vozx
0 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Reading values from the command line

Hi I want to give the user the choice of whether or not they want to include a certain option when they run the script. This is my getops: while getopts " s: d: r f: e h " option do case $option in f ) dsxfile="$OPTARG";; d ) dbname="$OPTARG";; s ) dsn="$OPTARG";; r )... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
0 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

trouble understanding file option and command line arguments

Hi, I am creating a program with the C language that simulates the WC command in Unix. My program needs to count lines, bytes and words. I have not added the code to count bytes and words yet. I am having trouble understanding what the file option/flag '-' does. I can not visualize how it moves... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heywoodfloyd
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line / script option to filter a data set by values of one column

Hi all! I have a data set in this tab separated format : Label, Value1, Value2 An instance is "data.txt" : 0 1 1 -1 2 3 0 2 2 I would like to parse this data set and generate two files, one that has only data with the label 0 and the other with label -1, so my outputs should be, for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnat01
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line arguments with multiple values

how can I pass multiple values from command line arguments example script.sh -arg1 op1 -arg2 op1 op2 op3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple values from multiple lines and columns and setting them to unique variables.

Hello, I would like to ask for help with csh script. An example of an input in .txt file is below, the number of lines varies from file to file and I have 2 or 3 columns with values. I would like to read all the values (probably one by one) and set them to independent unique variables that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FMMOLA
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Comparing arguments with in line values of file and printing the result

I need to develop a script where I will take two date arguments as parameter date1 and date2 which will in format YYYYMM. Below is the input file say sample.txt. sample.txt will have certain blocks starting with P1. Each block will have a value 118,1:TIMESTAMP. I need to compare the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: garvit184
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace values in script reading line by line using sed

Hi all, Let's say I have a script calling for the two variables PA_VALUE and PB_VALUE. for pa in PA_VALUE blah blah do for pb in PB_VALUE blah blah do I have a text file with two columns of values for PA and PB. 14.5 16.7 7.8 9.5 5.6 3.6 etc etc I would like to read this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimsonengineer
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file lines and pass line values as arguments.

Dears, Need help to implement below requirement A file (detail.txt)contain : 1st column: Stream 2nd column: PathAddress 3rd column: Counterlimit 4th column: TransactionDateColumn 5th column: DateType 6th column: SleepValue 7th column: Status Need to write a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading properties from file and setting variable values

I want to read properties from a file and print evaluated values of each key. I am using AIX6.1. myfile.props protocol=http siteA.host=siteAhostname pageA=pageNameA siteAURL1=${protocol}:/${siteA.host}/pagea/blabla?v1=32 siteAURL2=${protocol}:/${siteA.host}/${pageA}/blabla?v1=32... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
5 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - read one line from user input SYNOPSIS
timeout] DESCRIPTION
copies one line (up to a new-line) from the standard input and writes it on the standard output. It returns an exit code of 1 on EOF and always prints at least a new-line. It is often used within shell files to read from the user's terminal. Options recognizes the following command-line option: Timeout after timeout seconds where timeout is an integer value (if a non-integer value is specified, it is converted to an integer; i.e., rounded down). A blank is required between and the timeout argument. This option is not documented in POSIX and other industry standards, and should not be used in portable applications. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following lines in a shell script prompt for a file name and display information about the file: To limit the response time to 10 seconds, use the form: then test for no response. If no response occurs before timeout expires, a default behavior should be provided. WARNINGS
This command is likely to be withdrawn from X/Open standards. Applications using this command might not be portable to other vendors' sys- tems. As an alternative is recommended. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
line(1)