Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to stop the process in shell scripting? Post 302610575 by kristinu on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 12:10:45 PM
Old 03-21-2012
Can he background it?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell stop process after found value in file

hi guys can somebody help me here... i've a file that contains total of ip that connects to my server and their ip like this : 80 80 xxx.xxx.xx.xxx 75 75 xxx.xxx.xx.xxx 73 73 xxx.xxx.xx.xxx where first columns and second were the total connections... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriezo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Process Shell Scripting

I have a following program: echofunc() { filename=$1 echo "reading $filename" while read line do echo $line; sleep 6; done < $filename } split -5 new.dat ls x* > input.dat while read file do echofun $file & done < input.dat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhieraj
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wait Process in Shell Scripting.

Hello, I have a script that needs to wait till the previous process is done within the same script.But my script doesnt wait till that it is done.Can anyone suggest how I can stop my process till the previous task is done. I tried 'wait' but I dont have a static process id so is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sud
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting not showing in process when it goes to sleep

Hi All, Here is my script: sleep_time=`echo "9.6 * $num_servers"|bc| cut -d. -f1` if ; then sleep_time=3600;fi ### Allow the compare script to kick in after 1 hour at the least logger "Sleeping for $sleep_time seconds ...Will call compare.sh thereon" $act_log sleep $sleep_time #sleep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntgobinath
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop monitoring of servers at the time of reboot through shell scripting?

We have number of servers which belongs to platforms Solaris, AIX,HP-UX and LINUX. Monitoring tool 'Patrol Agent' process run on the servers to check for the server health and communicate with the Patrol server through the port 5181. During scheduled reboot and maintenance of servers we do receive... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subharai
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process multiple input files using Shell scripting

Hi, I would like to write a for loop that does the following: I have a file called X.txt and other files called 1.txt,2.txt, .....,1000.txt. I want to substitute the 6th column of the file X.txt with 1.txt and store the output as X.1. Then I want to do the same with X.txt and 2.txt and store... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting Stop/Start Application

I did a search of these forums but couldnt find a suitable resolution. I am attempting to script a stop and start of an application on AIX. Such as: However it has authentication where username and password prompts will appear after running the above command requiring input from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soupy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting errors for ftp process

Hi i am facing problem in shell scripting for ftp process getting following errors here is the script & result vi GtpTxnlogs_ftp.sh "GtpTxnlogs_ftp.sh" 40 lines, 921 characters #!/usr/bin/bash ###################################################################################### #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarmistha
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to display only the first 5 running process using top in shell scripting?

topfunc() { top } topfunc Here i used the top command inside a function,and i called the function. when executing this bash file i get all the process which are using by the kernel i just want to display only the first 5 running process. is it possible? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
7 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)