Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Advice needed regarding Unix doc/book Post 302610149 by balajesuri on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 02:11:53 AM
Old 03-21-2012
Welcome to the forum:
Check this link, specifically post #2: https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...me-basics.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

programming advice needed....

i'm a grad student taking a UNIX course and a networks course (i have a background in C++ and JAVA). i'm trying to combine the two classes. My questions stems from a networks programming homework assignment below: "Using the operating system and language of your choice, develop a program to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trostycp
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix book (urgent help needed)

hi guys i am new to UNIX and i am very much excited to learn how it works.. i was very confused with how to start and what book to follow so i went to my lecturer and asked him if he could suggest something. he advised me to get this book Your UNIX: The Ultimate Guide by "Sumitabha Das" ISBN:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhashkashyap
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

eval problem.. advice needed!

Hi I need some major help with eval I have a statement using eval: read input eval variable$input=”something” Now I want to use the “variable$input” in some commands but I don't know how to call it without replacing the $input with the command line value (which I obviously can't do). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cactus Jack
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

'for' loop advice needed ....!!

/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep "inet" | grep -v "inet6" | grep -v "127.0.0.1" | grep -v "0.0.0.0"|grep -v "192.168.100.2" | awk '{print $2}' I use above command to get IP addresses on AIX boxes.Values coming here are set to a variable "Host IPs.IP Addresses" in my fingerprinting engine. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'for' loop advice needed....!!

Scenario: Command used to capture IPs on a host: /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep "inet" | egrep -v "inet6|0.0.0.0|192.168.100.2" | awk '{print $2}' Following for loop used to capture interface names: for INTERFACE in `/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | nawk '$1 ~ /:$/ && $1 {sub(":$", "", $1); print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
3 Replies

6. Linux

Scripting advice needed

Evening all, Im trying to get a script that will: Select the most 3 recent files in a specific directory Run a command on them (like chmod) Ask of you would like to continue Copy the files to another directory If a linux guru could help me out, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wiggins
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX advice needed desperately :/

Firstly I do need to state that I am turning here as a last resort. Im in my first year of a Computer Networking and technical support course, and as a first year I must complete a Introductory Unix/Linux class. I have been doing well in the course so far however I have been stumped on the final... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: setaylor5
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with ACL's (Help/Advice Needed)

Hi Experts,,, Need your help/advice on how to fix this I have 2 users under same group (primary group) and i want to give 777 permissions on a directory to one dir owned by user1 when granted i can see than from getfacl but when i actually login as user2 i can touch a file . ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddyfreaks1
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Study Advice Needed

I just have a question regarding learning Solaris, I have a Linux and AIX background and I would like to learn Solaris, I have been giving some Solaris 10 Study Guides and just wondered how relevant they would be to Solaris 11 or should I try and get some study materials which are targeted towards... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markmorris182mx
1 Replies

10. AIX

VIO Book needed

hi all i need any good book or video tutorials for understanding and administrating VIO thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbadry13
1 Replies
DtMmdbBookGetTabList(library call)										DtMmdbBookGetTabList(library call)

NAME
DtMmdbBookGetTabList -- obtains the list of tab sections in a book SYNOPSIS
#include <DtMmdb.h> DtMmdbHandle** DtMmdbBookGetTabList( DtMmdbInfoRequest* request, unsigned int* length); DESCRIPTION
The DtMmdbBookGetTabList function returns the list of tab sections for the specified book object. It returns the list in a NULL-terminated array. Use the DtMmdbFreeHandleList function to release the memory when the array is no longer needed. Table lookup is involved when the identifier is specified by either the primary_oid or sequence_num field. ARGUMENTS
request Specifies the bookcase in the bookcase descriptor field, as well as a valid value in the primary_oid, the secondary_oid, or the sequence_num field. The primary_oid represents the DtInfo Database object identifier of the TOC section; the secondary_oid rep- resents the object identifier of the book itself; and the sequence_num represents the sequence number of the book within the bookcase (0 based). If more than one of these fields have a valid value, the order of precedence is: primary_oid, secondary_oid, and, last, sequence_num. length Specifies the variable to receive the length of the returned list of sections, if the returned pointer to the list is not NULL. RETURN VALUE
If DtMmdbBookGetTabList completes successfully, it returns a pointer to the list of sections for the book. If it fails, it returns a NULL pointer. EXAMPLE
None. SEE ALSO
TO BE SUPPLIED. DtMmdbBookGetTabList(library call)