Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Character Find and replace in Unix or Perl Post 302609691 by Skrynesaver on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 09:55:30 AM
Old 03-20-2012
Quick and dirty Perl solution, you should:
  1. enable strict and warnings
  2. check for regex special characters in $ARGV[0] and escape them
  3. use File::Temp rather than the lazy option below which would clobber a file called temp.dat in the current directory

Code:
perl -e '@filenames=glob("./*.txt");
for $filename (@filenames){
    open($file ,"<",$filename);
    open ($temp,">","temp.dat");
    while(<$file>){
        $_=~s/$ARGV[0]//g;
        print $temp $_;
    }
    close $file;
    close $temp;
    rename "temp.dat", $filename;
}' %

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parentheses in perl find/replace

I'm trying to use the following command to do a batch find and replace in all commonly named files through a file hierarchy find . -name 'file' |xargs perl -pi -e 's/find/replace/g' which works fine except for a substitution involving parenthesis. As a specific example I'm trying to sub... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeffish
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace character in a string

Hi all, My problem is the following: I've a script that must list all files in a directory and write this information in a text file. I've tried to get the list through ls command and then write it using msgecho msgecho "`ls $PATH_APS_JOB_ORA`" This works good but the created string... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: callimaco0082
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a character

Hi Team, i have 1st cloumn of data containing, LAMSBA01-BA-COFF-YTD LAMSBA01-BA-COFF-ITD LAMSBA01-BA-AGGR-IND . LAMSBA01-BA-CURR-COFF-BAL i need to replace the "-" to "_" (underscore) using AWK . please help me on this. Thanks, Baski (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl find and replace

Hi, Please could someone advise, how I can resolve this issue with my find and replace command : perl -i -npe "s#RLM_LICENSE.*#RLM_LICENSE=$TEAM_TOP/licenses/abc.demo.lic#;" environment.properties $TEAM_TOP is an environment varible within my system. when i run this perl command from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fettie
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a particular character in perl

Hi, I have a file with two string : aa_bb_cc_def gg_hh_jj_xyz now i want a command in perl script, which gives me the result as : aa_bb_cc.def gg_hh_jj.xyz Can anyone help me on this plz.. thanks in advane. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arup1980
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How replace -- character in perl

Hi All, I am having below issue could anybody help me. $x= SELECT * FROM EMP --xyz this change is done in q2; I want delete the charchters from -- to till the end. I want $x to be $x= SELECT * FROM EMP; Thanks, Vijay G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gvk25
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Find and replace till nth occurence of a special character

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a pattern in each line in a file and remove the in between words till the 3rd occurrence of double quote ("). Ex: CREATE TABLE "SCHEMANAME"."AMS_LTV_STATUS" (Note: "SCHEMANAME" may changes for different schemas. Its not a fixed value) I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace, perl code

Hi, Can somebody tell whats wrong with "find and replace perl code". I wanted to find "\n".write(status,data" and replace with "\n",data" in multipls files. #!/usr/bin/perl my @files = <*.c>; foreach $fileName (@files) { print "$fileName\n"; my $searchStr0 =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chettyravi
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace single character w/awk given conditions

I have a file that looks like this: 14985 DPN verb PPa to spend. 12886 DPNDJN bay tree. 15686 DQ verb to observe 15656 KC ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies
IO::AtomicFile(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       IO::AtomicFile(3pm)

NAME
IO::AtomicFile - write a file which is updated atomically SYNOPSIS
use IO::AtomicFile; ### Write a temp file, and have it install itself when closed: my $FH = IO::AtomicFile->open("bar.dat", "w"); print $FH "Hello! "; $FH->close || die "couldn't install atomic file: $!"; ### Write a temp file, but delete it before it gets installed: my $FH = IO::AtomicFile->open("bar.dat", "w"); print $FH "Hello! "; $FH->delete; ### Write a temp file, but neither install it nor delete it: my $FH = IO::AtomicFile->open("bar.dat", "w"); print $FH "Hello! "; $FH->detach; DESCRIPTION
This module is intended for people who need to update files reliably in the face of unexpected program termination. For example, you generally don't want to be halfway in the middle of writing /etc/passwd and have your program terminate! Even the act of writing a single scalar to a filehandle is not atomic. But this module gives you true atomic updates, via rename(). When you open a file /foo/bar.dat via this module, you are actually opening a temporary file /foo/bar.dat..TMP, and writing your output there. The act of closing this file (either explicitly via close(), or implicitly via the destruction of the object) will cause rename() to be called... therefore, from the point of view of the outside world, the file's contents are updated in a single time quantum. To ensure that problems do not go undetected, the "close" method done by the destructor will raise a fatal exception if the rename() fails. The explicit close() just returns undef. You can also decide at any point to trash the file you've been building. AUTHOR
Primary Maintainer David F. Skoll (dfs@roaringpenguin.com). Original Author Eryq (eryq@zeegee.com). President, ZeeGee Software Inc (http://www.zeegee.com). REVISION
$Revision: 1.2 $ perl v5.12.4 2011-09-18 IO::AtomicFile(3pm)