Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variables into SED or AWK and multiple commands Post 302609417 by lostincashe on Monday 19th of March 2012 09:44:40 PM
Old 03-19-2012
Bug

Thankyou
Yes sorry, the command you mentioned
sed ..... <$filename >$newfilename # incomplete command, not sure what you need the sed to doI am using a SED command to delete a blank lines in an existing file and it opens a newfile with the new data. I then run it through another SED command which extracts the searched variable(s) that the user inputs. So using

sed '/NZDT/{N;s/\n//;}' access.log > testfile2003121130
then using another SED command with a variable (or two variables) which have been entered by the user (variableyyyy) - putting that in the next SED command and running that on the newfile testfile2003121130. .
so
user inputs first entered data when prompted "john"
user is prompted again if they want to enter another criteria to search at the same time "smith" (search for john smith) - thats not the actual text I am searching for just an example.

sed '/NZDT/{N;s/\n//;}' access.log > testfile2003121130
cat testfile2003121130 | sed -e '/./{H;$!d;}' -e 'x;/variableyyy/!d'
print the result to screen.
I am hoping to automate this rather than put in two separate commands.

Hope that may clarify what I am trying to do.
Thanks again regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Multiple Commands applied to an address

Trying to write a sed command that applies multiple replacements to a specific address. Need a second pair of eyes I guess cause my syntax appears to be correct (obviously not though) I am getting an error. Any Help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. sed -f foo envOracle sed: Function... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple sed commands

hello! I have a few sed commands sed '/^$/d' < $1 > tmp.t sed '/^ \{3,\}/d' < tmp.t > tmp1.txt ..... how can I write them in a single line? sed '/^$/d' < $1 > | '/^ \{3,\}/d' < $1 > tmp1.txt any idea? thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables in sed commands

Hi there, I need to be able to put the hostid of my box into a file (replacing the text "enter_hostid_here" so i tried sed -e 's/enter_hostid_here/`hostid`/g' inputfile > outputfile but it takes the `hostid` literally as text .....how can I get this info into the file (ideally in a single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables within awk/sed commands

Can I use my own variables within awk and sed for example: I've written a while loop with a counter $i and I want to use the value of $i within sed and awk to edit certain lines of text within a data file. I want to use : sed '1s/$/texthere/g' data.csv Like this: sed '$is/$/$age/g' data.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustaine85
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting multiple sed commands on a single line

Hi, I want to make sed write a part of fileA (first 7 lines) to file1 and the rest of fileA to file2 in a single call and single line in sed. If I do the following: sed '1,7w file1; 8,$w file2' fileA I get only one file named file1 plus all the characters following file1. If I try to use curly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varelg
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform 3 awk commands to multiple files in multiple directories

Hi, I have a directory /home/datasets/ which contains a bunch (720) of subdirectories called hour_1/ hour_2/ etc..etc.. in each of these there is a single text file called (hour_1.txt in hour_1/ , hour_2.txt for hour_2/ etc..etc..) and i would like to do some text processing in them. Each of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing multiple variables into SED

Hello I am hoping you can help. I use ksh in Solaris9 I am trying to pass user imputed variables into SED but for some reason can only get SED to recognize one variable. I have experimented with te below command with putting ' ' and " " in different places but I cant seem to get it to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to execute multiple commands

Let's say I have a file called test.out. In this file I want to do the following: 1. Search for DIP-10219 and with this: 2. Remove everything in front of cn= 3. Remove everything after *com 4. Remove duplicate lines 5. Replace ( with \( 6. Replace ) with \) For 1-3 I have figured out this... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use sed commands on multiple lines

I have a text file and i want to run 3 sed commands for the lines entered by the user using perl script. I am doing this manually till now. need some help with this The sed commands I have to use are : sed -i "s/{+//" error.txt sed -i "s/+}//" error.txt sed -i "s/\//g" error.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: utkarshkhanna44
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)