Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris zip -r <directory> failing due to 2GB limit - Just asking opinion Post 302609405 by frank_rizzo on Monday 19th of March 2012 08:54:32 PM
Old 03-19-2012
why not just run this?

Code:
tar clf - client_install | gzip --best > ../client_install.tar.gz

or use the -C flag for tar if your version supports it. If you have the GNU version you can do it all in one step.

Code:
tar -czvlf client_install.tar.gz client_install

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SUN Solaris 9 - Is there a 2GB file size limit?

Hi I am using SUN/Solaris 9 and I was told that some unix versions have 2GB size limit. Does this applies to SUN/Solaris 9? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

tar 2GB limit

Any idea how to get around this limit? I have a 42GB database backup file (.dmp) taking up disk space because neither tar nor cpio are able to put it onto a tape. I am on a SUN Solaris using SunOS 5.8. I would appreciate whatever help can be provided. Thanks! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SLKRR
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size Limit for zip files

Hi, I am using the jar command to compress a directory. The size of the directory contents is 105 GB. The jar/zip that gets created is approximately 5.5 GB in size. But this file seems to be corrupt when verified using the unzip command. Is there any limitation for the size of the zip file?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prafulasher
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing to file failing (maybe due to lock?)

Driver script kicks off supporter scripts in background. The supporter script writes it's own PID ($$) into a status file. When script completes, deletes the PID from the status file. The driver script constantly polls this status file for number of lines. As and when it's get lower than XX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baivab
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip files inside the directory, but not the directory itself

Hi, Im facing a problem that im stucked, I have the following structure: thales@pereirtc-vbox:/home/VfARM$ ls code config doc lib manifest.bak manifest.rel manifest.v3 ns pub if i try to execute zip -q -o arm.zip VfARM/* it will create a zip file with the folder VfARM.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thales.Claro
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

2GB file size limit

Greetings, I'm attempting to dump a filesystem from a RHEL5 Linux server to a VXFS filesystem on an HP-UX server. The VXFS filesystem is large file enabled and I've confirmed that I can copy/scp a file >2GB to the filesystem. # fsadm -F vxfs /os_dumps largefiles # mkfs -F vxfs -m... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkimura
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip all files in a directory and move to another directory

Hi, need to zip all files in a directory and move to another directory after the zip.. i am using this one but didnt help me... zip -r my_proj_`date +%Y%m%d%H%MS`.zip /path/my_proj mv in_proj_`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.zip /path/source/ i am trying to zip all the files in my_proj... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh failing due to Bad owner error

i am logged in with "user1" on host1. I m trying to ssh to host2 using user id "user2" $ ssh user2@host2 Bad owner or permissions on /home/user1/.ssh/config Question 1: Can you please tell me why am i getting the Bad owner permissions error on that directory ? Question 2: Where is it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH is failing due to unknown reason

Hi, I have setup keys between user1@server1 and user2@server2 however, the ssh is failing. server1 is Linux 3.10.0-514.6.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP whereas server2 is 5.10 Generic_150400-40 sun4v sparc sun4v I have checked port 22 to be open and keys to be correct. I also find the permissions... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar to a particular directory is Failing

Below are my system and tar details. bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-40 sun4v sparc sun4v bash-3.2$ which tar /usr/bin/tar I use this command to untar at the file at this location: /web/applications/configurations tar -xvf bent.tar -C... (18 Replies)
18 Replies
zipnote(1)						      General Commands Manual							zipnote(1)

NAME
zipsplit - split a zipfile into smaller zipfiles SYNOPSIS
zipsplit [-t] [-i] [-p] [-s] [-n size] [-r room] [-b path] [-h] [-v] [-L] zipfile ARGUMENTS
zipfile Zipfile to split. OPTIONS
-t Report how many files it will take, but don't make them. -i Make index (zipsplit.idx) and count its size against first zip file. -n size Make zip files no larger than "size" (default = 36000). -r room Leave room for "room" bytes on the first disk (default = 0). -b path Use path for the output zip files. -p Pause between output zip files. -s Do a sequential split even if it takes more zip files. -h Show a short help. -v Show version information. -L Show software license. DESCRIPTION
zipsplit reads a zipfile and splits it into smaller zipfiles. EXAMPLES
To be filled in. BUGS
Does not yet support large (> 2 GB) or split archives. SEE ALSO
zip(1), unzip(1) AUTHOR
Info-ZIP v3.0 of 8 May 2008 zipnote(1)