Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to ensure a script can only be invoked from another? Post 302608579 by agama on Sunday 18th of March 2012 01:02:32 AM
Old 03-18-2012
Depending on just how complex you need to get, it could be as simple as setting an environment variable in scriptA and checking for it in scriptB.

Code:
export Xppid=$$               # script A exports it's pid

and in scriptB:

Code:
if [[ "$Xppid" != "$PPID" ]]
then
   echo "cannot run, not invoked by scriptA"
   exit 1
fi

Of course, the user could export their PID just like the script, but if you aren't concerned with users trying to skirt the system, then this is easy and it does the trick. There might be other, more "secure," methods, but my brain isn't coming up with any at the moment.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to ensure lines are in sequence

Hello there, I check files containing more than 2000 lines, I try to make sure that the lines are in sequence...for example the first line begins with Av567, second line contains Av568 and so on up to the last line that may contain Av2500. I need a script to check that all lines are in sequence... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine if the script has been invoked manually or not?

Hi, Is there a way to determine if the script has been invoked manually or not( might be invoked by a schedular or crontab)? Thanks, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the values to the secondary script when it invoked by primary script

Hi, When I invoke a script s1.sh it will call an another script s2.sh by itself. This script s2.sh will call some java files, so while running the script it asks for a file name to be processed. Which we can see in the screen. The file name to be processed is present in script s1.sh Now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venu_eie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing the values to the secondary script when it invoked by primary script

Hi, When I invoke a script s1.sh it will call an another script s2.sh by itself. This script s2.sh will call some java files, so while running the script it asks for a file name to be processed. Which we can see in the screen. The file name to be processed is present in script s1.sh Now I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_eie
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

why the script name not displayed and not sh invoked?

Say there is a shell script named test.sh. I intentionally omit the #! line in test.sh for testing perpose. I did the following : $ echo $0 -ksh ---> current shell $ echo $$ 12919 ---> PID of the current shell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hongwei
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON: Script not getting invoked

Hi, I have the following script - fixpart="/files/myScript # Transfer Script" echo "Specify the transfer frequency in minutes - " echo "every 1, 2, 3, or 5 minutes (default every 1 minute) " echo $nn "Frequency ? :" $cc read ans case $ans in 2) echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script invoked using "sh" is not executing. Urgent help required

Hi , I am new to shell scripting. I am using Linux for doing scripting. Below is my script, which takes 2 parameters as input. test.sh has the below: #!/bin/bash . $HOME/.profile gpg --yes --no-use-agent -r "$(eval echo \$$2_Var)" -e $1 1st parameter is command line... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarb
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with script invoked from a keyboard shortcut

-EDIT- I have solved my problem below by using a different program. Instead of xsel I am using xclip which basically does the same thing and works fine from a script invoked by a global hotkey. -END EDIT- Hi, I've written a simple script to copy my email address into both the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle function invoked from shell script doubt

hi gurus, I have tried myself to invoke an oracle function. there are three different function available need to be called for differnt. can you tell me whether the below code is correct to call oracle function from shell script. Any help would be highly appreciated. cat location.sh ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
5 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start com- mand. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)