Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem with case
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with case Post 302607613 by Corona688 on Thursday 15th of March 2012 12:38:51 AM
Old 03-15-2012
Functions can't be depended on in sh. bash and ksh have them, but a plain bourne sh wouldn't.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem w. case structure

Hello, I am having a problem setting a range of numbers for the "case" structure. I can use with no problems, but when I use it doesn't work??? Does the case struture allow numeric ranges? eg: echo -e "enter number between 0 and 60: \c" read $answer case $answer in ) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joe54321
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh case problem

I'm trying to run a ksh script with a case condition to handle parameters. #!/bin/ksh db_start(){ *code } db_shut(){ *code } case "$1" in up) db_start TRNG ;; down) db_shut TRNG ;; *) echo "Usage: $0 { up | down }" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digiteck
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Case statement problem

I need to display this menu and accept variables. Can someone tell me why i am having a problem with this case statement, please # TAPE MANAGER MAIN MENU tapemgr_Main_Menu() { echo "Legato Tape Management System Menu" echo " This system is used to report Legato ERV Offsite and Tapes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gzs553
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with CASE pattern matching

I am using ksh on a HP Ux. I have a simple script but am having problem with the case statement:- #!/usr/bin/sh Chl=”SM.APPLE_SWIFT_DV” LoConfirm=”” case $chl in ) LoConfirm=”Using channel at Building 1” echo “test conditon1” echo $LoConfirm;; ) LoConfirm=”Using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gummysweets
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with my case statements

Hi there, Im having some problems with this function, I pass two arguments to the function $1 $2 (Arguments are month and date inputted by the user) for some reason the case always fails... however in the cases defined below where it shouldnt fail the result is: if it fails with input... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darklight
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with case statement

Hi, I need modify the all lines in a file into one format. cat file htec.twe34c.ATI .hesh.twdghu..ATI ..hesh.twdghu..ATI htec.twe3 hjsct14567ati Output should have 16 characters htectwe34c ATI heshtwdghu ATI heshtwdghu ATI htectwe3 ATI hjsct14567 ATI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartheek
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with CASE statement

Guys, Here is the script syntax which is not accepting the parameters & not performing the said activity. $ ./routing.sh xyz123-ra str enable ********************************************************************** Preparing to service the request for Device xyz123-ra in Question... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using 'Case' statement

Hi, When I execute the below script, I am getting the error as ' is not expected.ror at line 3 : `in #!/bin/sh case $1 in -r) echo Force deletion without confirmation ;; -i) echo Confirm before deleting ;; *) echo Unknown argument ;; esac I could not see any problem with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sathish_Obla
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using bash case statement

I have the following bash script and it is not accepting the lines "--"|"--""-") "--""-"") while do echo "Current Argument is ${1}" case "$1" in "--"|"--""-") echo "Argument is ${1}" shift # Skip ahead one to the next argument. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case execution problem

hi guys....in my code the echo statements inside case statements are not printing the required display info....pls help me out #!/bin/bash tput clear tput cup 3 15 tput setaf 3 echo "BACKUP PROJECT" tput sgr0 tput cup 5 17 tput rev echo "select option" tput sgr0 tput cup 7 15 echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: diw10
12 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)