Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash Shell Script and Cron
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Shell Script and Cron Post 302607501 by gull04 on Wednesday 14th of March 2012 03:19:17 PM
Old 03-14-2012
Firstly does cron have your environment, a quick check is to source in the local profile for your user.

There are many ways of doing this we'd normally use a token file or the like.

Normally I would put a token in the last line of the log file or in a separate file, then check the token with the following script. You must remember to either create a new logfile or null the logfile at the begining of the first script and you should test that it has done so.

In the first file something like;

Code:
print "Completed Ok" >> ${logfile}

In the following script;

Code:
if
          tail -1 ${logfile} | grep "Completed Ok" | grep -v grep
                then
                      Do Your Bits Here!
                else
                      print "The Backup had a problem - please investigate." >> ${logfile}
fi

This is just one of many ways you could do this, this very simplistic and probably wouldn't be allowed in a production environment. Ensure that any tests that you write are suitable for purpose - key to any of them is testing the result and failing safe!

Regards

Dave

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

executing shell script from the cron

This isn't the usual problem that a shell script runs from the command line and not the cron. It's a little different. Among other things, the shell scrip executes my .profile to set a bunch of variables. It then does an env to ensure that it ran OK. There are echos in the shell script and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abNORMal
2 Replies

2. AIX

Is it possible to have more than one Cron in shell script?

Hi, can we have more than one cron in the shell script? If so pls let me know on what basis it is running. Whether on OS scheduling or the time scheduled in the cron file.Pls answer this query. Many Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yamini Thoppen
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

General Q: how to run/schedule a php script from cron jobs maybe via bash from shell?

Status quo is, within a web application, which is coded completely in php (not by me, I dont know php), I have to fill out several fields, and execute it manually by clicking the "go" button in my browser, several times a day. Thats because: The script itself pulls data (textfiles) from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job shell script..

Hey Guys, i was trying out a shell script which has to remove a file for every 90 mins. this is the code i came up with . $ crontab -e file1 file1 contains 30 1 * * * * rm -r /folder1/folder2/somefile.txt Now i need the cron to run for every 90 mins. the problem with this is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script and Cron

Hi there, I have a script that pulls in a weather feed via FTP then writes the output to a file. This script is run everyday at 3pm by cron. Heres the shell script: #!/bin/sh HOST='ftp.weatheronline.co.uk' USER='my username' PASSWD='my password'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpk_3
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing cron using bash script

How can I change the cron entries only for ABC and XYZ from dosomething_1.0.sh to nowchanged_2.0 using a bash script ? Any help will be appreciated. # # ABC 00,05,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /mydir/dosomething_1.0.sh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 # # ## # DEF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I run bash script using cron job

How do I run bash script using a cron job? I have tried to just write the path of the script, but that didn't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling bash script works when called manually but not via Cron?

Hi, I've got a Bash backup script I'm trying to run on a directory via a cron job nightly. If I ssh in and run the script manually it works flawlessly. If I set up the cron to run evertything is totally messed up I don't even know where to begin. Basically the path structure is ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)