Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Multiplying 2D arrays using fork() Post 302607140 by giampoul on Tuesday 13th of March 2012 06:12:24 PM
Old 03-13-2012
Multiplying 2D arrays using fork()

HI,
i am trying to multiply 2 2D arrays (a[2][3],b[3][4]) using fork.
The answer will be at c[2][4].
Each child have to calculate 1 row of c[2][4].
The code is right, as i think of it, with no errors but i dont get the correct c array...
I think there is maybe a mistake in i dimension ...
Anyway, here is the code:
Code:
//multiply a[2][3] * b[3][4] = c[2][4]
//with fork
//each child completes one c[2][4]'s row

#include<stdio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>

main()
{
  int a[2][3]={1,2,3, 
	       4,5,6};
  int b[3][4]={1,2,3,4,
	       9,10,11,12};
  int c[2][4];
  int i,j;
  int m;	//for the calculation
  int n;	//common 3
  int pid;	//fork

for(i=0;i<2;i++)
  {
    pid=fork();
    if(pid==-1)
    {
      printf("Can't fork\n");
    }
    if(pid==0)//child
    {
      for(j=0;j<4;j++)
      {
	for(n=0;n<3;n++)
	{
	  m=m+a[i][n]*b[n][j];
	}
	c[i][j]=m;
	m=0;
      }
      exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
    }
    if(pid>0)//parent
    {
      wait(0);
    }
  }
  printf("C:\n");
  for(i=0;i<2;i++)
  {
    for(j=0;j<4;j++)
    {
      printf("%d\t",c[i][j]);
    }
    printf("\n");
  }	       
}

Any help, please ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error only when multiplying two numbers

Hi $ a=10 ; b=2 $ expr $a + $b 12 $ expr $a - $b 8 $ expr $a / $b 5 $ expr $a * $b expr: syntax error Any idean why I am getting this error only when multiplying two numbers. Whats the exact syntax? Thanks a lot to all in advance CSaha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplying Floats/Decimals

Is there a way that i can get something like this to work: Number=`expr 80 \* 10.69` i.e. To multiply an integer by a decimal or a decimal by a decimal etc...? thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rleebife
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiplying values from two text files

Im very new to programming. But I would like to write a script which extracts and multiply values from 2 txt and output as a new file. Can someone please teach me how to write it? Thank you so much for example File A File B 1 34 1 2 2 13 2 2 3 8 3 3 File C output 1 68 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchichichi
2 Replies

4. Programming

question about int arrays and file pointer arrays

if i declare both but don't input any variables what values will the int array and file pointer array have on default, and if i want to reset any of the elements of both arrays to default, should i just set it to 0 or NULL or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

5. Programming

problem in multiplying arrays

Hi, this is my code.It's simple : there are 2 2D arrays and the multiplied to C. #include<stdio.h> #include<sys/shm.h> #include<sys/stat.h> #include<stdlib.h> main() { int *A; //A int *B; //B int *C; //C int i,j,x,k,d; int id; ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: giampoul
17 Replies

6. Programming

Multiplying column in awk and PHP

hello, I'm writing a php script in fedora to run with a csv file. I want the script to read column 4 and multiply each single line in the column by 1000, how would that script look? I've written one script but it's obviously incorrect because it will not execute the command. here is my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brandonadam
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplying array element

I am trying to take all the elements of an array and multiply them by 2, and then copy them to a new array. Here is what I have i=0 for true in DMGLIST do let DMGSIZES2="${DMGSIZES}"*2 let i++ done unset i echo ${DMGSIZES2} It does the calculation correctly for the first element,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a loop for multiplying columns

I have 2 files, that look like this: ID SNP1 SNP2 SNP3 SNP4 A1 1 2 0 2 A2 2 0 1 1 A3 0 2 NA 1 A4 1 1 0 2 and this: SNP score SNP1 0.5 SNP2 0.7 SNP3 0.8 SNP4 0.2 Basically, all of the SNP-values are 0,1, 2 or NA, and they each have a score, listed in the second file. The total... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayakj
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Group sums by matching and then multiplying by weights

Hi Experts, Please help with the following. I have 3 columns in File 1 , variables with values nested within groups. File 1 gr1 var1 a gr1 var2 b gr1 var3 a gr1 var4 c gr2 var1 a gr2 var2 a gr2 var4 c gr3 var1 b gr3 var3 b gr3 var4 a gr3 var5 a (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplying lines of file that contain certain letter by value

I am trying to remove the last letter in a file and then multiply each line (which contained this letter) by 500. This is what I have: 1499998A 1222222A 1325804A 1254556 1235 9998 777 cat /tmp/listzz |gawk '{print $4}'|gawk '{gsub(//, ""); print } This removes the A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies
FORK(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork - create a child process SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void); DESCRIPTION
fork creates a child process that differs from the parent process only in its PID and PPID, and in the fact that resource utilizations are set to 0. File locks and pending signals are not inherited. Under Linux, fork is implemented using copy-on-write pages, so the only penalty incurred by fork is the time and memory required to dupli- cate the parent's page tables, and to create a unique task structure for the child. RETURN VALUE
On success, the PID of the child process is returned in the parent's thread of execution, and a 0 is returned in the child's thread of exe- cution. On failure, a -1 will be returned in the parent's context, no child process will be created, and errno will be set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN fork cannot allocate sufficient memory to copy the parent's page tables and allocate a task structure for the child. ENOMEM fork failed to allocate the necessary kernel structures because memory is tight. CONFORMING TO
The fork call conforms to SVr4, SVID, POSIX, X/OPEN, BSD 4.3. SEE ALSO
clone(2), execve(2), vfork(2), wait(2) Linux 1.2.9 1995-06-10 FORK(2)