Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: spawn() Vs. fork()
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users spawn() Vs. fork() Post 302606370 by anandgodse on Sunday 11th of March 2012 01:24:10 AM
Old 03-11-2012
Bug spawn() Vs. fork()

what is diffenrence between spawn and fork ?

"fork() system call spawns the processess" what is mean by this sentence.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

spawn: not found

Hi, I'm very new to UNIX. I need to FTP a file to a remote host. It happens through a port 2222.I need to automate the process as the SCP command prompts for a password. 1) The regular ftp, tells me that the connection is refused 2) The sftp login@remotehost gives me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy.cog
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Spawn Not Found

I need to run the spawn command but when I typed it in, I got "ksh: spawn: not found". So, I downloaded spawn-fcgi but it required to be compiled first. The compile failed when I tried it. I need a copy that's ready to be used. Unix system info: OS: Sun Solaris 2.8 Shell: ksh Does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
4 Replies

3. Programming

spawn a process with a different user

Hello Everyone: I have the following code int main() { system("/usr/OtherUser/bin/runX"); return 0; } runX must be executed with privileges from another user, how could I do that? I know the password for such user. Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using spawn and expect getting error

#!/bin/sh # # set -x stty -echo; read -p "Input password:" A; stty echo; echo; for HOST in `cat elc.hosts.list` do # echo "Connecting to $HOST" expect -c "set timeout -1;\ spawn sshr $HOST -l root \"mkdir /perfstat;\";\ match_max 100000;\ expect *'/root/.ssh/id_dsa':*;\ send --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madlot
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawn snmptrap from python

Hi I am trying to spawn an snmptrap from python but i keep getting the following error Invalid version specified after -v flag: 2c -c public 192.168.2.162 SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.3.1.1 here is the python code i am using from subprocess import Popen Popen() When i test the same... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaf3773
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with spawn.. newbie to shell

Hi, I have a problem with the spawn execution with expect.. i have done the code for expect in a separate file and i am calling the this execution from the bash script.. as given below.. -bash-4.1$ cat main.sh #!/usr/bin/bash ./spawn.exp ========================== -bash-4.1$ cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishkumar432
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep 600 or fork/spawn a process or daemon?

Hi, I have a script that run every 10 minutes, from a specific timeframe of the day, for example 0500 - 1900. The script is some sort of checker script for an application log file and check for errors and email us if there is error/s reported in the log. At the moment, I schedule it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Spawn: Command not found

Hi all, I want to run the following command from my main prompt : # spawn bash but I get the following error: spawn: Command not found. For this to work , I first have to go into expect. #expect expect1.1>spawn bash spawn bash 564 expect1.2> Is there any way I can skip the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Spawn: command not found

Dear Concern, I want to run following script in RHEL 6.3. $ cat sftp_upload.sh #!/usr/bin/expect spawn sftp -oPort=434 bkashtopup@172.16.252.59 expect "*?assword:*" send "bkashtopup1234\n" send "lcd /BI/application/report/script/daily/daily_bkash_itopup_detail\r" expect sftp> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawn command not found!!!

Hi, I am writing a script to automate installation of java in shell script. #!/bin/sh #!/usr/bin/expect ls -la | grep jdk* | rpm -ivh ./jdk*.rpm alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_71/bin/java 2 spawn alternatives --config java expect "Enter to keep the current... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boby.kumar
5 Replies
VFORK(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  VFORK(2)

NAME
vfork -- spawn new process in a virtual memory efficient way SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t vfork(void); DESCRIPTION
Vfork() can be used to create new processes without fully copying the address space of the old process, which is horrendously inefficient in a paged environment. It is useful when the purpose of fork(2) would have been to create a new system context for an execve. Vfork() differs from fork in that the child borrows the parent's memory and thread of control until a call to execve(2) or an exit (either by a call to exit(2) or abnormally.) The parent process is suspended while the child is using its resources. Vfork() returns 0 in the child's context and (later) the pid of the child in the parent's context. Vfork() can normally be used just like fork. It does not work, however, to return while running in the childs context from the procedure that called vfork() since the eventual return from vfork() would then return to a no longer existent stack frame. Be careful, also, to call _exit rather than exit if you can't execve, since exit will flush and close standard I/O channels, and thereby mess up the parent processes standard I/O data structures. (Even with fork it is wrong to call exit since buffered data would then be flushed twice.) SEE ALSO
execve(2), fork(2), sigaction(2), wait(2) ERRORS
The vfork() system call will fail for any of the reasons described in the fork man page. In addition, it will fail if: [EINVAL] A system call other than _exit() or execve() (or libc functions that make no system calls other than those) is called fol- lowing calling a vfork() call. BUGS
This system call will be eliminated when proper system sharing mechanisms are implemented. Users should not depend on the memory sharing semantics of vfork as it will, in that case, be made synonymous to fork. To avoid a possible deadlock situation, processes that are children in the middle of a vfork() are never sent SIGTTOU or SIGTTIN signals; rather, output or ioctl(2) calls are allowed and input attempts result in an end-of-file indication. HISTORY
The vfork() function call appeared in 3.0BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution