Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking OS Type on Servers
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Checking OS Type on Servers Post 302606352 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 10th of March 2012 10:27:40 PM
Old 03-10-2012
I'm missing something - the output you show does have kernel information - essentially the output of uname -a. This tells you a lot. You can teach your code what it means and decode it. How many server nodes in the network? A simple file or db tablewith nodenames, which you have to have anyway, with an extra set of fields can hold this infor.

For Linux & other UNIX, you seem to want the contents of a file like /etc/release, or whatever. The simplest way without writing a bunch of MIB C code is to use a direct ssh connection through a nothing-like account that can only see /etc/release (or whatever you deem necessary). Assuming that a version number is mission critical: Net-SNMP and 'what's up gold' among other snmp software offerings all provide for this - the scripted ssh connection kind of thing. As an example: WUG interfaces with IMacro so you can write expect-like scripts and get anything you want from a system, read-only, provided it doesn't violate security rules.

Also, I do not know of an OID speficied to do that. SysDescr is up to the OS implementer what gets returned AFAIK.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different type of shells?

Hello there, i just want to know what are the different type of shells and the main difference betwee them. The problem is that if you try to search over the net you will find a lot of information and hence you will have no enough time to read all of them.....Anyone can help with this?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charbel
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk type checking

Hello, How to check if two variables( fields in awk) have the same datatype ( INTEGER , REAL, TEXT ) ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty_123
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

String type to date type

Can one string type variable changed into the date type variable. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rinku
1 Replies

4. Programming

array type has incomplete element type

Dear colleagues, One of my friend have a problem with c code. While compiling a c program it displays a message like "array type has incomplete element type". Any body can provide a solution for it. Jaganadh.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl data type checking

I am using perl 5.8.0. I need to check some values to see it they are floats. Our system does not have Data::Types so I can't use is_float. Is there something else that I can use? The only thing in Data is Dump.pm. I am not allowed to download anything to our system so I have to use what I have.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Type of RAID

Hi i need to know how i made for getting witch RAID my system used exist a commad for this ? thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimitris
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script checking for a file in various servers

I am trying to write a script that checks whether or not, a file exists on multiple servers. My code / logic so far is: #!/usr/bin/ksh print "Enter File name to be checked" read MYFILE ssh server1 " cd /var/opt/logs ; if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin
4 Replies

8. SCO

Stop boot system at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases"

Hi, (i'm sorry for my english) I'm a problem on boot sco unix 5.0.5 open server. this stop at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases" (See this image ) I'm try this: 1) http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/50/37093/#post37094 2) SCO: SCO Unix - Server hangs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: buji
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking running process status using "grep" on multiple servers in load sharing system.

Suppose i have 3 different servers say x,y and z. Im running some process say ABC and 40 instances for the same is being created. In load sharing suppose on server x, 20 instances are running server y, 10 instances are running server z, 10 instances are running. While checking the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankitknit
1 Replies
GRID-CERT-DIAGNOST(1)						  Globus Commands					     GRID-CERT-DIAGNOST(1)

NAME
grid-cert-diagnostics - Print diagnostic information about certificates and keys SYNOPSIS
grid-cert-diagnostics [-h] | [-help] [-p] [-n] [-c CERTIFICATE] DESCRIPTION
The grid-cert-diagnostics program displays information about the current user's security environment, including information about security-related environment variables, security directory search path, personal key and certificates, and trusted certificates. It is intended to provide information to help diagnose problems using GSIC. By default, grid-cert-diagnostics prints out information regarding the environment and trusted certificate directory. If the -p command-line option is used, then additional information about the current user's default certificate and key will be printed. The full set of command-line options to grid-cert-diagnostics consists of: -h, -help Display a help message and exit. -p Display information about the personal certificate and key that is the current user's default credential. -n Check time synchronization with the ntpdate command. -c CERTIFICATE, -c - Check the validity of the certificate in the file named by CERTIFICATE or standard input if the parameter to -c is -. EXAMPLES
In this example, we see the default mode of checking the default security environment for the system, without processing the user's key and certificate. Note the user receives a warning about a cog.properties and about an expired CA certificate. % grid-cert-diagnostics Checking Environment Variables ============================== Checking if X509_CERT_DIR is set... no Checking if X509_USER_CERT is set... no Checking if X509_USER_KEY is set... no Checking if X509_USER_PROXY is set... no Checking Security Directories ======================= Determining trusted cert path... /etc/grid-security/certificates Checking for cog.properties... found WARNING: If the cog.properties file contains security properties, Java apps will ignore the security paths described in the GSI documentation Checking trusted certificates... ================================ Getting trusted certificate list... Checking CA file /etc/grid-security/certificates/1c4f4c48.0... ok Verifying certificate chain for "/etc/grid-security/certificates/1c3f2ca8.0"... ok Checking CA file /etc/grid-security/certificates/9d8788eb.0... ok Verifying certificate chain for "/etc/grid-security/certificates/9d8753eb.0"... failed globus_credential: Error verifying credential: Failed to verify credential globus_gsi_callback_module: Could not verify credential globus_gsi_callback_module: The certificate has expired: Credential with subject: /DC=org/DC=example/OU=grid/CN=CA has expired. In this example, we show a user with a mismatched private key and certificate: % grid-cert-diagnostics -p Checking Environment Variables ============================== Checking if X509_CERT_DIR is set... no Checking if X509_USER_CERT is set... no Checking if X509_USER_KEY is set... no Checking if X509_USER_PROXY is set... no Checking Security Directories ======================= Determining trusted cert path... /etc/grid-security/certificates Checking for cog.properties... not found Checking Default Credentials ============================== Determining certificate and key file names... ok Certificate Path: "/home/juser/.globus/usercert.pem" Key Path: "/home/juser/.globus/userkey.pem" Reading certificate... ok Reading private key... ok Checking Certificate Subject... "/O=Grid/OU=Example/OU=User/CN=Joe User" Checking cert... ok Checking key... ok Checking that certificate contains an RSA key... ok Checking that private key is an RSA key... ok Checking that public and private keys have the same modulus... failed Private key modulus: D294849E37F048C3B5ACEEF2CCDF97D88B679C361E29D5CB5 219C3E948F3E530CFC609489759E1D751F0ACFF0515A614276A0F4C11A57D92D7165B8 FA64E3140155DE448D45C182F4657DA13EDA288423F5B9D169DFF3822EFD81EB2E6403 CE3CB4CCF96B65284D92592BB1673A18354DA241B9AFD7F494E54F63A93E15DCAE2 Public key modulus : C002C7B329B13BFA87BAF214EACE3DC3D490165ACEB791790 600708C544175D9193C9BAC5AED03B7CB49BB6AE6D29B7E635FAC751E9A6D1CEA98022 6F1B63002902D6623A319E4682E7BFB0968DCE962CF218AAD95FAAD6A0BA5C42AA9AAF 7FDD32B37C6E2B2FF0E311310AA55FFB9EAFDF5B995C7D9EEAD8D5D81F3531E0AE5 Certificate and and private key don't match AUTHOR
University of Chicago Globus Toolkit 5.0.2 04/25/2011 GRID-CERT-DIAGNOST(1)