Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading columns, making a new file using another as template Post 302606188 by Corona688 on Friday 9th of March 2012 07:56:26 PM
Old 03-09-2012
This is probably overkill, but I had 500 megabytes of extremely messy flatfiles to merge and sort. This ought to be reliable if not fast, tolerant of things like missing columns.

Code:
$ cat col.awk

# Set up input and output separators
BEGIN { FS=","  ;       OFS="," }

# First line in a file?  Figure out what our columns are.
FNR == 1 {
        if(NR==1) # Very first line in very first file
        {
                COLMAX=NF
                # Mark down the contents of all the columns
                for(N=1; N<=NF; N++)
                {
                        ORDER[N]=$N
                        ORDER[$N]=N
                        REORDER[N]=N
                }
                print # Print columns
                next # Go to next line
        }

# First line in the second/third/fourth file?  Find out how we need to reorder.

# Delete old columns
        for(X in REORDER)       delete REORDER[X];

# Match field M against column N.
        for(N=1; N<=COLMAX; N++)
        {
                for(M=1; M<=NF; M++)
                if($M == ORDER[N])
                {
                        REORDER[N]=M;
                        break;
                }

if(!REORDER[N])
                {
                        print "Couldn't find " ORDER[M] " in " FILENAME >"/dev/stderr";
                        REORDER[N]=NF+10;
                }
        }

# Only print the first line of columns
        if(NR != 1)     next;
}

# Reorder all input
{
        split($0, ZZT, FS);

PFIX=""
        STR=""
        for(N=1; N<=COLMAX; N++)
        {
                STR=STR PFIX ZZT[REORDER[N]];
                PFIX=","
        }

$0=STR
}

1 # Print all other lines

$ awk -f col.awk columnfile data

interacao,AspAsp,AspCys,CysAsp,CysCys,classe
beta_alfa,DA,DD,CA,CD,ppi

$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

gawk - reading two files & re arrange the columns

Hi, I am trying to read 2 files and writing to the 3rd file if I find the same elements in 2 files. my first file is 1 0 kb12124819 766409 1.586e-01 1 0 kb17160939 773886 8.674e-01 1 0 kb4475691 836671 8.142e-01 1 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezhil01
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh questions - Reading columns and lines on unix

1-) For the command below, I want to read second column: 32751. How will I get it ? $ ps -ef|grep deneme U00 32751 22745 0 16:30 pts/1 00:00:00 ksh deneme U00 32762 32132 0 16:30 pts/2 00:00:00 grep deneme 2-) For the command below, how will I read all lines line by line? For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senem
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading columns in tab delimited file

I want to read only one column in "|" delimited file and write that column to a new file. For Ex: Input File 1|abc|324|tt 2|efd|11|cbcb 3||1|fg 4|ert|23|88 Output : I want to read column 3 in diff file. 324 11 1 88 Can anyone give me inputs on this ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: net
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare columns and rows with template, and fill empty slots.

Hi, I'm working on a script that will take the contents of a file, that is in a row and column format, and compare it to a arrangment file. Such that if there is any or all blanks in my content file, the blank will be filled with a flag and will retain the row and column configuration. Ex. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hizzle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a larger .xml file from a template(sample file)

Dear All, I have a template xml file like below. ....Some---Header....... <SignalPreference> ... <SignalName>STRING</SignalName> ... </SignalPreference> ......Some formatting text....... <SignalPreference> ......... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

6. Programming

Reading multiple columns in C++

Dear all, I am novice in C+= programing. I would like to seek help in one of the progra. Here it is, I have txt file which has the data as following order varA varB -21 0 -21.2 3, 4, 5, 6 -21.4 45, 65, 87, 98, 98 -22.0 345677, 349887, 98766, 877654, 987543 -23.0 76549,... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading columns from a text file and to make an array for each column

Hi, I am not so familiar with bash scripting and would appreciate your help here. I have a text file 'input.txt' like this: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 I want to store each column in an array like this a ={2 5 8}, b={3 6 9}, c={4 7 10} so that i can access any element, e.g b=6 for the later use. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a composite file of transposed columns

Hello, I have a directory with allot of tab delimited text files that have data that look like, filePath distance (1,4-dioxan-2-ylmethyl)methylamine 0.0 4-methylmorpholine 0.0755473632594 1-propyl-4-piperidone 0.157792911954 heptaminol 0.158142893249 N-acetylputrescine 0.158689628956... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific range of columns in an Excel file

Hi All, I want to read an excel file. PFA excel, I want to read the cloumn from A to G and the V to AH starting from Row number 3. Please help me on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhisrajput
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading columns using arrays

Hello, Please help in how to read rows and columns using array and print them. I have below output and i want to store this in array and print the required rows or columns. aaaaaaa 123 bbbbbb 456 ccccccc 888 Use code tags, thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cva2568
1 Replies
File::Spec::Functions(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  File::Spec::Functions(3)

NAME
File::Spec::Functions - portably perform operations on file names SYNOPSIS
use File::Spec::Functions; $x = catfile('a','b'); DESCRIPTION
This module exports convenience functions for all of the class methods provided by File::Spec. For a reference of available functions, please consult File::Spec::Unix, which contains the entire set, and which is inherited by the modules for other platforms. For further information, please see File::Spec::Mac, File::Spec::OS2, File::Spec::Win32, or File::Spec::VMS. Exports The following functions are exported by default. canonpath catdir catfile curdir rootdir updir no_upwards file_name_is_absolute path The following functions are exported only by request. devnull tmpdir splitpath splitdir catpath abs2rel rel2abs case_tolerant All the functions may be imported using the ":ALL" tag. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2004 by the Perl 5 Porters. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Spec, File::Spec::Unix, File::Spec::Mac, File::Spec::OS2, File::Spec::Win32, File::Spec::VMS, ExtUtils::MakeMaker perl v5.16.3 2013-01-16 File::Spec::Functions(3)