Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting questions about updating a zip file Post 302606066 by Corona688 on Friday 9th of March 2012 12:54:11 PM
Old 03-09-2012
The only worry I'd have about modifying the same file repeatedly is that the table of contents must be changed, every time. It's not simply adding to the end. Mess up the table of contents and the file's entire contents could be unrecoverable. Be extremely careful to prevent more than one thing from accessing the file simultaneously. This even includes reads, because the table of contents changing in mid-read could cause confusion or worse to the program reading it.

Splitting among a few zips to reduce the potential for damage, and of course keeping backups, may be wise.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Updating a File in a Zip Archive

Hello everyone, I have a script that pulls a text file out of a zip archive and updates the file. What I need to do is put it back in the zip archive and replace the old one, but I am having no luck. Everything I search on forums or internet points to the command zip, that command is not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbridle
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unzip .zip file and list the files included in the .zip archive

Hello, I am trying to return the name of the resulting file from a .zip archive file using unix unzip command. unzip c07212007.cef7081.zip Archive: c07212007.cef7081.zip SecureZIP for z/OS by PKWARE inflating: CEP/CEM7080/PPVBILL/PASS/G0063V00 I used the following command to unzip in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledev
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk updating one file with another, comparing, updating

Hello, I read and search through this wonderful forum and tried different approaches but it seems I lack some knowledge and neurones ^^ Here is what I'm trying to achieve : file1: test filea 3495; test fileb 4578; test filec 7689; test filey 9978; test filez 12300; file2: test filea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecano
11 Replies

4. AIX

ZIP multiple files and also specify size of zip file

I have to zip many pdf files and the size of zip file must not exceed 200 MB. When size is more than 200 MB then multiple zip files needs to be created. How we can achieve this in UNIX? I have tried ZIP utility but it takes a lot of time when we add individual pdfs by looping through a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tom007
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip a file with .zip extension.

Hi, I need to zip a .dat file with .zip extension. I tried using the "zip" command. But shell says. "ksh: zip: not found" Currently I am using gunzip to zip and changing the extension ".gz" to ".zip" as follows. mv $file `echo $file | sed 's/\(.*\.\)gz/\1zip/'` But when I tried... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aeroticman
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zip file inside Zip file(s)

I've a zip file called Z00.zip and in that file there are 22 more zip files. Each zip file having .txt files nearly 10,000 files. I am trying to unzip all these .txt files in one command line to unzip each .zip file from Z00.zip file. Would like to know whether possible to unzip all sub-zip files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip Multiple files to One .zip file in AIX system

Hi I have a requirement in unix shell where I need to zip multiple files on server to one single .zip file. I dont see zip command in AIX and gzip command not doing completely what I want. One I do .zip file, I should be able to unzip in my local Computer. Here is example what I want... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAMA PULI
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can we Zip multiple files created on the same date into one single zip file.?

Hi all i am very new to shell scripting and need some help from you to learn 1)i have some log files that gets generated on daily basis example: i have abc_2017_01_30_1.log ,2017_01_30_2.log like wise so i want to zip this 4 logs which are created on same date into one zip folder. 2)Post zipping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b.saipriyanka
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we Zip multiple files created on the same date into one single zip file.?

Hi all i am very new to shell scripting and need some help from you to learn 1)i have some log files that gets generated on daily basis example: i have abc_2017_01_30_1.log ,2017_01_30_2.log like wise so i want to zip this 4 logs which are created on same date into one zip folder. 2)Post zipping... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b.saipriyanka
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Updating in file

hi, i have an csv(which is a month's log file containing userid and log in date ) file which has to be appended to another file say master.log.I need to compare the next month's log data to master.log file .In case, there is new log date for userid it has to get updated in master.log file or i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preema
2 Replies
NOWEB(1)						      General Commands Manual							  NOWEB(1)

NAME
htmltoc - add table of contents to HTML document SYNOPSIS
htmltoc [-2345] [file] DESCRIPTION
htmltoc adds a table of contents to the HTML document named on the command line or provided as standard input. The table of contents is inserted between <tableofcontents> and </tableofcontents>, which must appear on lines by themselves. Any text between those two markers is discarded. These markers are inserted automatically by the sl2h(1) filter. The table of contents includes only headers at levels 2, 3, 4, and 5. This can be changed by using a command-line option, e.g., -123456789P to include all possible headers. BUGS
htmltoc can't cope with a header that is split across multiple lines, even though this is legal HTML. SEE ALSO
nowebfilters(7), sl2h(1) VERSION
This man page is from noweb version 2.11b. AUTHOR
Norman Ramsey, Harvard University. Internet address nr@eecs.harvard.edu. Noweb home page at http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/noweb. Stephen Parker provided a preliminary version. local 3/28/2001 NOWEB(1)