Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in? Post 302606033 by codemaniac on Friday 9th of March 2012 11:24:39 AM
Old 03-09-2012
Something like that you want ?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# secret-pw.sh: secret password
echo
echo -n "Enter password "
read passwd
echo "password is $passwd"
echo -n "If someone had been looking over your shoulder, "
echo "your password would have been compromised."
echo && echo # Two line-feeds in an "and list."
stty -echo # Turns off screen echo.
echo -n "Enter password again "
read passwd
echo
echo "password is $passwd"
echo
stty echo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Urgent !!! - Script to Change passwords in unix

I have SunOs 5.8. I need to change password using a unix shell script. I have tried to pipe the passwords to the passwd command but does not work. Pls provide a script to change passwds of a list of users using a shell script. ( I have also tried crypt() but did not work) The flow of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tofani
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix passwords?

The local policy is set in our LAN so that passwords have to be 8 characters and contain a capital letter, a small letter and a special character. Is Unix able to restrict users passwords to certain lengths and characters. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About unix passwords.

How the unix is maintaining the password ? How it does the encryption and how the passwords are stored in the system and where it is stored ? How it is better when compared to other OS ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle Passwords in Unix scripts

Hi Most of the shell scripts I am dealing with have to connect to oracle database . The username password is stored in a environment file which sets the variables for username and password . Set user id do not work on AIX so users who will execute these scripts need to have read or execute... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: clifford
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Check for Unix/Linux Passwords

We have almost 100+ Unix/Linux servers, on which I have account. Does anybody have a batch script which can do the following : - check if my password is correct - change my password We use SFTP/SSH on Linux. The solution should force reading of password from command line. ( Passwordless... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucknowm
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

how to Hide Passwords From UNIX ps Command

Hi, By reporting the process status with ps, any Unix user will see the command line arguments #ps -ef UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD lsc 13837 13825 0 May 11 pts/17 0:01 -ksh oracle 4698 6294 0 12:00:40 ? 0:00 sqlplus -s system/manager appluser 4229 4062 0 12:00:03... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagirathi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH - Passing Unix login passwords through shell scripts

Hi All , I need to call a script runscript_B.sh on server A, the runscript_B.sh script locating in server B. The runscript_B.sh in calls another script runscript_A on server A itself. it seend, i need to be connect from Server A to Server B using ssh. I have tryed like this in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

8. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change passwords for User accounts on multiple UNIX/Linux machines remotely?

Hello Experts, Need some direction on creating shell script for following environment: We have about 20 people in the team working as Oracle DBA's (sysdba's and appdba's). Total Servers which is a mix of Unix and Linux are 200. We do not have Root user access on any of the servers and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sha2402
3 Replies
SSH2_METHODS_NEGOTIATED(3)						 1						SSH2_METHODS_NEGOTIATED(3)

ssh2_methods_negotiated - Return list of negotiated methods

SYNOPSIS
array ssh2_methods_negotiated (resource $session) DESCRIPTION
Returns list of negotiated methods. PARAMETERS
o $session - An SSH connection link identifier, obtained from a call to ssh2_connect(3). RETURN VALUES
EXAMPLES
Example #1 Determining what methods were negotiated <?php $connection = ssh2_connect('shell.example.com', 22); $methods = ssh2_methods_negotiated($connection); echo "Encryption keys were negotiated using: {$methods['kex']} "; echo "Server identified using an {$methods['hostkey']} with "; echo "fingerprint: " . ssh2_fingerprint($connection) . " "; echo "Client to Server packets will use methods: "; echo " Crypt: {$methods['client_to_server']['crypt']} "; echo " Comp: {$methods['client_to_server']['comp']} "; echo " MAC: {$methods['client_to_server']['mac']} "; echo "Server to Client packets will use methods: "; echo " Crypt: {$methods['server_to_client']['crypt']} "; echo " Comp: {$methods['server_to_client']['comp']} "; echo " MAC: {$methods['server_to_client']['mac']} "; ?> SEE ALSO
ssh2_connect(3). PHP Documentation Group SSH2_METHODS_NEGOTIATED(3)