Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extra symbols when vi a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extra symbols when vi a file Post 302605477 by problemchild on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 01:48:22 PM
Old 03-07-2012
Extra symbols when vi a file

When i try to vi a file, see some extra characters "l^H^@^@^@^@^F^@"...but when i cat the same file i am not seeing this...How do i remove this???

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove extra lines in the file

Hi, I have some files, with some extra lines in weird characters on the top and bottom of the. I want to get rid of those line. Is there a way I can do that? example of the input file. I want to get rid of those lines in bold (B ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: CamTu
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent: How to eliminate special symbols in a file and how to read it

Hi, I have file called suppliersList.txt --------------------------------- 112|MIMUS|krish@google.com 113|MIMIRE|krish@google.com 114|MIMCHN|krish@google.com 115|CEL|krish@google.com 108|UGEN|krishn@google.com 109|SLAND|krish@google.com i have 3 varibale ------------- no Name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate extra contents from file

Hi all, i have a file and i want that after 6th slash "/" in each line of the file the contents gets truncated. Can anyone tell me how to do that !! thanks in advance One more thing how can i change the size of output buffer of console, as i had very long output and its not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glamo_2312
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort file adding extra character

HI all i have this script : #!/bin/bash sort /usr/tmp/"REPORT"$1 -o \ /usr/tmp/"SREPORT"$1 -k 1,7 -S 150 end of script now i'm doing this command : ls -lsgt *REPORT* 4 -rw-r--r-- 300 Sep 16 REPORT54784 4 -rw-r--r-- 301 Sep 16 SREPORT54784 as you can see the sorted file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

m4 adds extra space at top of file.

I have used m4 in the past to generate source code where aesthetics and space were of no consequence . Now I am using it to generate script and program templates . So here is an excerpt from my m4 file for producing a generic bash script: dnl `$Id$' define(`START_SCRIPT',`#!/bin/bash... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Symbols From a File like the copyright symbol

Hi guys, I have a txt file full of funny symbols like the copyright symbol and other funny ones that get in the way when trying to use sed. For example, not sure if you can read this but I have a line that looks like this: 24(9):995Â*1001 DOI: 10.1007/s11606-009-1053-2 © When I'm using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshdg
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the words with symbols in a file in unix

I have file like below Hi iam author <br>joseph</br> in france. I live in my home <br></br> but no food. I will play footbal <br></br> but i wont play cricket. I will read all the books <br>all fiction stories</br> i hate horror stories. I want output like below Hi iam author... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothsekark
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra lines from file

I have a file where data looks like this: === <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xml xmlns:s='uuid:XYZ' xmlns:dt='uuid:ABC' xmlns:rs='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset' xmlns:z='#RowsetSchema'> <s:Schema id='RowsetSchema'> <s:ElementType name='row'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra data in output file

Gents, I did a small scritp called make_file It read file1.txt file and generate an output as attached.. But the script is showing more extra information not needed. I have attached the output file as desired. Could you please help to fix this scrip to get the correct output Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File Containing Extra delimiter should be removed

The input file is this: a|b|c|d x|y|z|n||||||||| p|q|r|s||| g|h|i| w|e|r|| Now as per requirement , each row should have only 3 delimiter. Now the 2nd row & last row has an extra delimiter, How to remove that ? In some large file having 100K data , there can be 100 such rows having... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikdKunal
4 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)