Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Logic Explanation of Match command in Linux Post 302605296 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 07:23:33 AM
Old 03-07-2012
This behavior seems to be gawk-only. The other awks I tried display ARE just fine without quotes.
If I use
Code:
awk --posix -F, '$3~011{ print $2 }' file

or
Code:
awk --posix -F , '{if (match($3,011)) { print $2 } }'

then ARE is displayed as well..

Perhaps we should introduce a standard banner on this forum:
if on Solaris use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk. When using gawk, use (g)awk --posix

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-07-2012 at 08:44 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line explanation

Hello everyone, I found this command line in a website: perl -pi.bak -we's/\z/Your new line\n/ if $. == 2;' your_text_file.txt With this command line you can insert a new line anywhere you want in a text without overwriting what's in it. -p causes perl to assume a loop around your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goude
4 Replies

2. Programming

Fuzzy Match Logic for Numerical Values

I have searched the internet (including these forums) and perhaps I'm not using the right wording. What I'm looking for is a function (preferably C) that analyzes the similitude of two numerical or near-numerical values, and returns either a true/false (match/nomatch) or a return code that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcus121
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED command explanation

can someone please explain the below sed command.. sed 's/\(*|\)\(.*\)/\2\1/' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command explanation

can anyone please tell me what does this expression means , i am under probation and need some explanation :) $AUDIT_DIR -type f -mtime +$AUDIT_EXPIRE \ -exec rm {} > /dev/null 2>&1 \; AUDIT_DIR="/var/log/" AUDIT_EXPIRE='30' Please use code tags! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation a of command in linux

Hi All I ran a script in Linux. In the script i have lines like && echo "Failed: Missing ${CM_ENV_FILE} \n" && return 1 . ${CM_ENV_FILE} Where CM_ENV_FILE = /data/ds/dpr_ebicm_uat//etl/cm3_0/entities/BBME/parameters/cm.env But its taking this path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vee_789
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of the sort command

Hi everyone, I am wondering if someone could please break down and explain the following sort command for me: ls ${DEST_LOCATION}/${FILES} | sort -rt -k 4,4n | head -1 I have tried working it out using 'man sort', but on AIX there is not a great explanation of this function. I know that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl scripts: requesting for logic explanation

Hi, balajesuri and durden_tyler, I have found your perl script for the thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/176370-perl-script-help-me-extracting-string.html, but find it difficult to understand the syntax. Could you or any forum members kindly shed some light on the logic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation

Will someone give me an explanation on how the sed command below works. sed 's/.*//' Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation on problem "match" function awk

Hello Unix experts, If I could get any explanations on why the code below doesn't work it would be great ! My input looks like that ("|" delimited): Saaaaabbbbbccccc|ok Sdddddfffffggggg|ok The goal is, if $2 is "ok", to remove everything before the pattern given in the match function... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Explanation of Nawk command

Hi Folks, I am struggling to understand nawk command which was used by another developer. Can you please explain what each character or string is doing here below: if ; then (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirans.229
3 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)