Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nawk issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting nawk issue Post 302604869 by aigles on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 07:43:37 AM
Old 03-06-2012
Code:
echo 'Sau(rabh is Nice' | nawk -v a="Saurabh" '{print substr($1,1,match($1, /[(]/))}'

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk

Hi, I had this syntax and no matter what I do, I can't get it run. err message: run6: syntax error at line 121 : `(' unexpected I went to line 121 and it's comment out! All the variables passed to nawk are valid. There are two places I suspect have the problem: 1.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nawk use

I found a command who prints x lines before and after a line who contain a searched string in a text file. The command is : ------------------- nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=2 a=4 s="string" file1 ...where "b" and "a" are the number of lines to print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctap
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access values of awk/nawk variables outside the awk/nawk block?

i'm new to shell scripting and have a problem please help me in the script i have a nawk block which has a variable count nawk{ . . . count=count+1 print count } now i want to access the value of the count variable outside the awk block,like.. s=`expr count / m` (m is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saniya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep / nawk issue

I have a report which contains the following: Count Value % 47 69.12 18 26.47 3 4.41 I want to grep the total on the bottom brackets and store in a variable. However this may have a different figure everyday. To read the i do: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nesting - two nawk into one nawk

hi people; this is my two awk code: nawk '/cell+-/{r=(NF==8) ? $4FS$5FS$6 : NF==7 ? $4FS$5 : $4 ;c=split(r,rr);for (i=1;i<=c;i++){if(rr != "111111"){printf($3" %d ""\n",(i+3))}}printf("")}' /home/gc_sw/str.txt > /home/gc_sw/predwn.txt nawk -F'*' '{gsub(/ *$/,"")}$0=$1$($NF-2)'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nawk help!!!

Hi, Please help me I want to filter all messages having a value less than a particular value..Please advice how to use <= in the below red marked script.. Getting the error as no such file or directory for the marked line no. Thanks in advance... Script is as under : read message gawk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue with toupper in nawk

Hi All, I am seeing an issue while using toupper in nawk. Below is the code that I am using.Toupper method is not working as expected in this case.nawk 'NR==FNR{a=$4" "$5}NR>FNR{print NF?$0:a"\n";if(/^cn:/) x=toupper($0)}' FS="" id_list.txt attributes.txt > out In the above script, id_list... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samingla
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue with nawk while using variable assignment

#ifconfig -a | nawk '/1.1.1.1/{print}' inet 1.1.1.1 netmask xxxxxxxxx broadcast 0.0.0.0 If i assign the ip to a variable and search for the variable nothing gets printed!! # ifconfig -a | nawk -v ip=1.1.1.1 '/ip/{print}' I am not able to understand why this is happening! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution Issue with nawk

Hi, I'm trying to reformat some badly formatted XML that I've extracted from Oracle clob columns using the following nawk command: nawk '{gsub(/&lt;/,/>\n/); print}' test.raw > test.xml the substitution executes fine, but instead of subbing &lt; with > followed by newline, it subs the &lt; with a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sffuji
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Problem - nawk out of space in tostring on

Hi.. i am running nawk scripts on solaris system to get records of file1 not in file2 and find duplicate records in a while with the following scripts -compare nawk 'NR==FNR{a++;next;} !a {print"line"FNR $0}' file1 file2duplicate - nawk '{a++}END{for(i in a){if(a-1)print i,a}}' file1in the middle... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
12 Replies
SUBSTR(3)								 1								 SUBSTR(3)

substr - Return part of a string

SYNOPSIS
string substr (string $string, int $start, [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the portion of $string specified by the $start and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. Must be one character or longer. o $start - If $start is non-negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th position in $string, counting from zero. For instance, in the string ' abcdef', the character at position 0 is ' a', the character at position 2 is ' c', and so forth. If $start is negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th character from the end of $string. If $string is less than or equal to $start characters long, FALSE will be returned. Example #1 Using a negative $start <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", -1); // returns "f" $rest = substr("abcdef", -2); // returns "ef" $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, 1); // returns "d" ?> o $length - If $length is given and is positive, the string returned will contain at most $length characters beginning from $start (depend- ing on the length of $string). If $length is given and is negative, then that many characters will be omitted from the end of $string (after the start position has been calculated when a $start is negative). If $start denotes the position of this trunca- tion or beyond, false will be returned. If $length is given and is 0, FALSE or NULL, an empty string will be returned. If $length is omitted, the substring starting from $start until the end of the string will be returned. Example #2 Using a negative $length <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", 0, -1); // returns "abcde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 2, -1); // returns "cde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 4, -4); // returns false $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, -1); // returns "de" ?> RETURN VALUES
Returns the extracted part of $string; or FALSE on failure, or an empty string. CHANGELOG
+--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ |5.2.2 - 5.2.6 | | | | | | | If the $start parameter indicates the position | | | of a negative truncation or beyond, false is | | | returned. Other versions get the string from | | | start. | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #3 Basic substr(3) usage <?php echo substr('abcdef', 1); // bcdef echo substr('abcdef', 1, 3); // bcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 4); // abcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 8); // abcdef echo substr('abcdef', -1, 1); // f // Accessing single characters in a string // can also be achieved using "square brackets" $string = 'abcdef'; echo $string[0]; // a echo $string[3]; // d echo $string[strlen($string)-1]; // f ?> Example #4 substr(3) casting behaviour <?php class apple { public function __toString() { return "green"; } } echo "1) ".var_export(substr("pear", 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".var_export(substr(54321, 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".var_export(substr(new apple(), 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".var_export(substr(true, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".var_export(substr(false, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".var_export(substr("", 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "7) ".var_export(substr(1.2e3, 0, 4), true).PHP_EOL; ?> The above example will output: 1) 'pe' 2) '54' 3) 'gr' 4) '1' 5) false 6) false 7) '1200' ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Returns FALSE on error. Example #5 <?php var_dump(substr('a', 1)); // bool(false) ?> SEE ALSO
strrchr(3), substr_replace(3), preg_match(3), trim(3), mb_substr(3), wordwrap(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR(3)