Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Folders and Files Inventory
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Folders and Files Inventory Post 302604608 by methyl on Monday 5th of March 2012 12:07:17 PM
Old 03-05-2012
In addition to owner and group name, will each user retain their original numeric UID and GID - or are they different on the new computer?

What software do you have available to copy the files?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Differentiate Between Files and Folders?

Hi All, I'm a rookie using HPUX and I know this is going to sound like a bonehead question, but when I list the contents of a directory, how can I determine which objects are files and which are folders? I'm using the ll and ls commands to lists the contents. So far I've been determining the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgower2
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing old files except configuration files and folders

Dear all, I want to remove files older than 2 months in the /home/member directory. But except the configuration files (like .bash_profile .config/ .openoffice/ .local/ .kde/ etc..) I have tried with the command find . -mtime +60 -wholename './.*' -prune -o -print -exec mv {} \; but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcalicut
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

to get the timestamp of files from the files and folders in Unix

Hi, I had a directory and many subdirectories and files with in it. Now i want to get the timestamp of files from the files and folders recursively. :( Please help me to generate a script fort he above mentioned requirement! Appreciate for ur qick response Thanks in advance! ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move folders containing certain files

Hello, How can I move just the folders that contains files modified n days ago? Source tree: |-- SourceFolder | |-- Subfolder1 | | |-- file1.dat | | `-- file2.dat | |-- Subfolder2 | | |-- filea.dat | | `-- fileb.dat Destination tree: |-- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavix
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files to Folders

Hi Friends, Below is my requirement and i am not clear how to approach this issue in unix programming. I have a folder with 2500 files. The files are in below format. 1234_name1.txt 1234_name123.txt 4567_name1.txt 4567_name123.txt and i need a program which will read each file from this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: diva_thilak
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all the files in the present path and Folders and subfolders files also

Hi, I need a script/command to list out all the files in current path and also the files in folder and subfolders. Ex: My files are like below $ ls -lrt total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc users 419 May 25 10:27 abcd.xml drwxr-xr-x 3 abc users 4096 May 25 10:28 TEST $ Under TEST, there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match files between two folders

I have two folders: FOLDER1 file_101_1010.txt file_102_1007.txt file_103_1003.txt file_104_1007.txt file_105_1011.txt file_106_1006.txt file_108_1007.txt file_109_1002.txt file_110_1006.txt file_111_1008.txt file_112_1011.txt file_113_1012.txt file_114_1001.txt file_115_1009.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies
CHOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  CHOWN(8)

NAME
chown -- change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ... chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chown utility changes the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified files. Symbolic links named by arguments are silently left unchanged unless -h is used. The options are as follows: -f Don't report any failure to change file owner or group, nor modify the exit status to reflect such failures. -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the user ID and/or the group ID of the link itself. -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. Instead, the user and/or group ID of the link itself are modified. This is the default. Use -h to change the user ID and/or the group of symbolic links. -R Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -v Cause chown to be verbose, showing files as the owner is modified. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The owner and group operands are both optional; however, at least one must be specified. If the group operand is specified, it must be pre- ceded by a colon (``:'') character. The owner may be either a numeric user ID or a user name. If a user name is also a numeric user ID, the operand is used as a user name. The group may be either a numeric group ID or a group name. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. For obvious security reasons, the ownership of a file may only be altered by a super-user. Similarly, only a member of a group can change a file's group ID to that group. DIAGNOSTICS
The chown utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the chown utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. This has been changed to be a colon (``:'') character, so that user and group names may contain the dot character. On previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have owners. The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. LEGACY DESCRIPTION
In legacy mode, the -R and -RP options do not change the user ID or the group ID of symbolic links. SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), find(1), chown(2), fts(3), compat(5), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The chown utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compliant. HISTORY
A chown utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
March 31, 1994 BSD