Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Copy files for particular dates Post 302604151 by agama on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 10:37:59 AM
Old 03-03-2012
Assuming by your response that the file names do NOT contain the date, and thus you need to base your selection on the last modification time, this would be one way. Create a start/end marker with timestamps that bound your desired selection criteria, and then run a find that lists all files that fall within that range.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ksh

touch -t 201202150000.00 marker.start    # bounds Feb 15 2012 midnight - Feb 16 23:59:59
touch -t 201202162359.59 marker.end

# cd to desired directory if needed, or enter full path instead of '.' in the find command 
find . -type f -newer marker.start  ! -newer marker.end   |while read file
do
    if [[ ${file%%.*} != "marker" ]]    # skip markers (assumes no files you want to copy start with marker.
    then
        ls -al "$file"            # demonstration/verification 
        # remove the ls command and replace with your copy command 
    fi
done
rm marker.start marker.end

Last edited by agama; 03-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: clarification

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files by dates

I've tried every way possible to remove files by date and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have an idea how to remove files by dates? Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dman110168
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy only files created between two dates

Hi all, I like to get two date values from command line, and I have to copy all the files created in between that dates in a particular folder to destination folder. The date comparison is little bit consusing me. Please help. Regards Sethu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sethu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files and dates

Hello all. I am trying to do a file listing on a particular directory by date. I need to list the files and their directories that have a timestamp between Dec-1-2006 and Jan-1-2007. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mastachef
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

files between any two given dates

Can any one help me in getting all the files between any two given dates.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to generate all the dates in DDMMYY format between 2 dates

Hello friends, I am looking for a script or method that can display all the dates between any 2 given dates. Input: Date 1 290109 Date 2 010209 Output: 300109 310109 Please help me. Thanks. :):confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find all files other than first two files dates & last file date for month

Hi All, I need to find all files other than first two files dates & last file date for month and month/year wise list. lets say there are following files in directory Mar 19 2012 c.txt Mar 19 2012 cc.txt Mar 21 2012 d.txt Mar 22 2012 f.txt Mar 24 2012 h.txt Mar 25 2012 w.txt Feb 12... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files between two dates in UNIX

Hi Team, I need to connect to a prod server and need to get the files which falls between two dates. I should not create ant files on that machine. I am using korn shell. Your help is very much appreciated. Vinay (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the files between particular dates

Hi Please help me for the below task. In my home directory if I run ls -l command, it lists all the files, here I want to delete files created from January 2014 to Aug 2014...but I need to keep the files which are created after September 01 2014. Thanks Siva (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to Move files of different dates

Hi, Currently I'm moving the files based on date like below. "mv *20150901* backup_folder" - Limitation: can move only 1 day files to backup folder. I want to move the files of different dates like 20150901,02, 03, 04..... Is there any single command to do it. Thanks in advance!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashs1218
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file dates before copy

Sometimes when I boot, my system goes into emergency mode. I then use Clonezilla to restore an image. Usually the image is older than the current date. This is part of a backup script that runs as a startup program. cd /home/andy/bin/ zip -u -q Ubuntu_Scripts.zip *.sh *.rb *.c *.py... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
22 Replies
GENPLOTFILES(1) 						      colplot							   GENPLOTFILES(1)

NAME
genplotfiles - utility to help automate creation of collectl plot file from raw ones SYNOPSIS
/opt/hp/colplot/genplotfiles.pl -outdir [-switches] DESCRIPTIONS
This utility is not intended to meet all plot file creation needs, but quite frankly should meet most. Features not provided with this utility are best realized by running collectl directly in playback mode (see collectl -p). It is therefore important to understand what this utility will and will not do for you before building an automation strategy around it. The algorithm used is fairly simple - genplotfiles examines each collectl raw file to see it it falls within the data ranges (if specified) and contains a matching hostname (if specified). If a plot file already exists, the timestamps are compared and the raw file skipped if its newer than the plotfile. Any raw files that pass all these tests are then passed to collectl with their timestamp wildcarded. The result is all raw files for that host/date will be processed. This means if you copy over collectl raw files multiple times over the course of the day using rsync, you can immediately genererate up-to-date plots for them using genplotfiles. Furthermore, you won`t even need any date parameters if the older plot files are alreay up to date. For an example of what a cron job that aggregates multiple collectl logs onto a single system for plotting purposes, see crontab.sh in the same directory as this script. SWITCHES
All switches are optional with the exception of -outdir: -colbin path-to-collectl This points to collectl and is only necessary if /usr/sbin is not in your path or you`ve chosen to install collectl in a non-stan- dard directory. -debug number Primarily for development, will provide intermediate processing information based on its value. See souce for details. -force Always generate plot files even in there is an existing one that is newer than the latest raw file. This will be necessary if you want to rerun this script and just change the value of -subsys. -help Print a summary of available switches. -host string Only process files that contain this string in their hostname portion of the filename. -indir directory Directory where to look for collectl logs. The default is /var/log/collectl and is therefore only necessary if your logs are in a non-standard location. -outdir directory Directory into which to write the plottable files. This field is required. -fromdate date Ignore files with a datestamp in their name less that this value. The default is 20050101 and so defaults to all files. The value of `yesterday` is also recognized to simplify scripts that call this. -thrudate date Ignore files with a datestamp in their name with a datestamp greater than this value. The default is the current day and one can also specify a value of `yesterday`. -subsys string Instead of using the default subsystems for which data was collected, generate output files based on this set. There are basically two reasons for doing this. The first is that you may want to reduce the size of the plot files, though with compression there is rarely much point in this. The second is if you`ve asked collectl to collect summary data but want to plot detail data. See the colplot FAQ for more information. AUTHOR
This program was written by Mark Seger (mjseger@gmail.com). Copyright 2005 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. SEE ALSO
LOCAL
OCTOBER 2005 GENPLOTFILES(1)