Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to remove numeric characters in the flat file Post 302604147 by birei on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 10:12:27 AM
Old 03-03-2012
Hi rafimd1985,

One way:
Code:
$ perl -pe 's/\d+//g' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove page breaks from a flat file???

Hi All, I get a flat file with its last field data splitting onto a new line.I got this program from Vgersh which when run would cancatenate the split data back to the end of the previous records.But this program fails when it encounters a page break between the split data and the previous... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Replacing Characters in Flat File

I was wondering if somebody could help me with something on UNIX. I have a file that looks like this - "nelson,bill","bill","123 Main St","Mpls","MN",55444,8877,william I want to replace all comma with pipes (|), except if the comma is within double quotes. (The first field is an example of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelson553011
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

foreign characters in flat file

Hey, Is there anyway I anks, Pocha (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaman
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to remove the first line from a flat file ?

Hi, I want to remove the first line from a flat file using unix command as simple as possible. Can anybody give me a hand ? Thanks in advance. xli (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: xli
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines in Flat file based on first 5 characters

Hi I have the fixed width flat file having the following data 12345aaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbb 12365sssssssssscccccccccc 12365sssss 12367ddddddddddvvvvvvvvvv 12367 vvvvv Here the first column is length 5 second is length 10 third is length 10 if the second or third column exceeds... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brado
3 Replies

6. AIX

How to cut a flat file according to a certain number of characters?

hello everybody i am looking for a shell to cut a flat file (with a long unique line) according to a certain number of characters and redirect every result to an output file. here is an example MyFile : 12 3 456 12 3 456 12 3 456 ..... and i took every 9-characters including BLANKS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove somewhat Duplicate records from a flat file

I have a flat file that contains records similar to the following two lines; 1984/11/08 7 700000 123456789 2 1984/11/08 1941/05/19 7 700000 123456789 2 The 123456789 2 represents an account number, this is how I identify the duplicate record. The ### signs represent... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolney
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding distinct characters from flat file

Hi....I need one help.... I'm having a files which is having the data as follows... a b c c d d d e f Now I need to find out distinct characters from this file and the output should be as follows - a b c d e f Can you please help me on this? I'm using KSH script. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krishanu Saha
18 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove duplicates in flat file

Hi all, I have a issues while loading a flat file to the DB. It is taking much time. When analyzed i found out that there are duplicates entry in the flat file. There are 2 type of Duplicate entry. 1) is entire row is duplicate. ( i can use sort | uniq) to remove the duplicated entry. 2) the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samjoshuab
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first NULL Character in Flat File

We have a flat file with below data : ^@^@^@^@00000305^@^@^@^@^@^@430^@430^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@09079989530As we can see ^@ is Null character in this file I want to remove only the first few null characters before string 00000305 How can we do that, any idea. I want a new file without first few... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
5 Replies
shcomp(1)							   User Commands							 shcomp(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a ksh93 shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [-nv] [infile [outfile]] shcomp -D [infile [outfile]] DESCRIPTION
If the -D option is not specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh93 reads and executes with the same effect as the original script. Aliases are processed as the script is read. Alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -D Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. --dictionary With this option, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are printed, one literal per line. A literal $"foo" prints "foo" in the output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internation- alization. -n Display warning messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. --noexec -v Display input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. --verbose OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: infile Specifies the name of the file that contains the shell script to be used as input. If infile is omitted, the shell script is read from standard input. outfile Specifies the name of the output file. If outfile is omitted, both modes write their results to standard output. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The command-line interface and the system variables are Committed. The compiled shell code format is Private. The output of the -D option is Volatile. SEE ALSO
ksh93(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Jan 2009 shcomp(1)