Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Connecting an array and a tape library Post 302603994 by hicksd8 on Friday 2nd of March 2012 01:49:35 PM
Old 03-02-2012
I would think that the storage array is seem by the format command because it is presenting a LUN (disk) to the system. The tape library is, of course, not disk storage so cannot be "formatted" in the same way.

I would think that you need to get the drivers, etc for Solaris and they probably come with a library exceriser or something like that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ATL L200 Tape Library and Solaris

I picked up this library but I cannot get the device to actuate. How do I make this work with Solaris 7? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: n9ninchd
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX / Tape Library Communication Problems

Hi All, Hoping that you'll be able to help out on - I've a problem occuring in our backups that's driving me up the wall. I've got an HP-UX Visualise 6500 as below: ================================ root # uname -a HP-UX <NAME> B.11.00 A 9000/785 2005956095 two-user license... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: geralex
2 Replies

3. AIX

Tape Library 3583

Hello every body, I have one tape library 3583 but I can't install this some body have ben installed?? when I tray to install it, the output is the next: Method error (/etc/methods/cfgAtape): 0514-022 The specified connection is not valid. some Idea?? thanks greetings (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xanatos
5 Replies

4. AIX

Tape Library on Aix

I am having my 14 Aix 5.3 servers on bladecenters connected with my Tape Library. I had a backup scheduled on tape library but after taking backup successfully, Now, Question 1:- I wanted to restore backup but tape library could not recognize the tape and I get I/O error in TSM. I think it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shrek
0 Replies

5. Solaris

C4 tape library

Hi all , Anybody has an installation manual for Sun StorageTek C4 tape library . i am trying to do the installation on a Sun Fire V245 . Thanks a million cheers ppass (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Configuration issue with Tape Library in Solaris 10

Env: Server : Sparc Ultra-80 OS: Solaris 10 Direct SCSI connection to Library. Terminator connected at the Tape End. Problem: Unable to see any device file related to Robotic /dev/rsst0. Unable to see any device file /dev/rmt. ------------ Messages while the machine boots sst0: No... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amqstam
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX doesn't detect TS3200 tape library

Hi all, I have a problem here root@host1 / # lsdev -Cc tape rmt0 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) rmt1 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) smc0 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3573 Tape Medium Changer (FCP) root@host1 / # cfgmgr -l fcs2 Method error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

8. Solaris

SL24 tape library connection.

hi all please tell me how can i connect SunFire V240 to a SL24 tape library. is there any slots which i can connect? can i connect through SCSI port? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NDMP To Backup a Disk Array to HP B6200, EML 103e Tape Library

Hi All, Seeking information on the following and perhaps a bit of insight and opinions: I would like to look into using NDMP to backup a disk array using NetBackup 7.5 to HP B6200 StoreOnce Backup System (i.e. Virtual Tape Library) as well as physical tape library. Does anyone think... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
0 Replies

10. Solaris

[Solved] Issues connecting to storage array

I have two T2000 servers connected to sun storage array StorEdge 3310 as follows: CH0 connected to SNGL BUS CONF CH1 connected to HOST1 CH2 open CH3 connected to HOST2 DUAL BUS CONF open I have created some luns which I can mount and use on HOST1 but from HOST2 I cant see them ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliyesami
3 Replies
format(1M)																format(1M)

NAME
format - format an HP SCSI disk array LUN SYNOPSIS
device_file DESCRIPTION
formats one LUN of the HP SCSI disk array associated with device file, device_file. The format will usually be a soft or zeroing format, in which the controller writes zeroes to the data area and parity area, if any, of the LUN. NOTE: The above should always be true of a sub-LUN, but the controller might decide, based on certain conditions, to do a full format of a regular LUN, which consists of sending a mode select and a media initialization command to the physical drive(s) in question, fol- lowed by zeroing the data and parity area, if any. The conditions which will cause a full format to be done are as follows: 1. The controller received a Mode Select command which requires a drive sector size change. 2. The controller received a Mode Select command which changed a parameter in the Format Device Page(0x03). 3. The LUN contains one or more failed drives. In this case only a certain subset of the drives containing the failed drives will be formatted. 4. Either the FmtData or the CmpLst bit in the Format Unit CDB is set. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: 0 Successful completion. -1 Command failed. DIAGNOSTICS AND ERRORS
Errors can originate from problems with: o o SCSI (device level) communications o system calls Error messages generated by format: An error in command syntax has occurred. Enter command again with all required arguments, in the order shown. To ensure that does not modify a disk array that is being used by another process, attempts to obtain exclusive access to the disk array. If the disk array is already opened by another process (for example, LVM -- the Logical Volume Manager), a "" error message is returned by the driver. To eliminate the "" condition, determine what process has the device open. In the case of LVM, it is necessary to deactivate the volume group containing the array before formatting array LUNs (see vgchange(1M)). The LUN number, which is derived from the device file name, is out of range. The addressed LUN is not configured, and thus is not known to the array controller. Utilities must be able to open the device file for raw access. The device being addressed is not an HP SCSI disk array. SCSI (device level) communication errors: Sense data associated with the failed operation is printed. Error messages generated by system calls: uses the following system calls: and Documentation for these HP-UX system calls contains information about the specific error conditions associated with each call. does not alter the value of The interpretation of for printing purposes is performed by the system utility EXAMPLES
To format the HP SCSI disk array LUN on a Series 800: WARNING
The command will destroy all user data on the addressed LUN. DEPENDENCIES
The HP C2425 and HP C2427 disk arrays are only supported on Series 700 systems running HP-UX version 9.0X. The HP C2430 disk array is supported on Series 700 and 800 systems running HP-UX versions 9.0X and 10.0X. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. format(1M)