Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Virtualization: WPAR vs LPAR
Operating Systems AIX Virtualization: WPAR vs LPAR Post 302603497 by johnf on Thursday 1st of March 2012 06:39:21 AM
Old 03-01-2012
WPAR and AIX

The latest news for WPAR is with AIX 7.1 it is possible to run an AIX 5.2 WPAR. However WPARs should not be looked as a permanent solution for a large server environment.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Infrastructure Monitoring

snmpget not working on AIX shared wpar

Hi, I have a shared AIX wpar configured. I have started snmpd process on shared AIX wpar. But when i tried to query a MIB id using the following command /opt/OV/bin/snmpget -d -v 1 -c public -p <hostname> .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.7.0 i get the following error message #... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avazeer
0 Replies

2. AIX

LPAR freezes after switching of storage (lpar is mirrored)

Hi all, I have the following configuration 2 ds3524 storage disk systems located over 2 locations 2 P720 server located over 2 locations DS3524 are connected to san switch. Each vio server has 1 fc adapter attached to a san switch. per p720 server 2 virtual io servers. Vio 1 has 1 lun... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markiemark
2 Replies

3. AIX

Unexpected Behaviour with WPAR

Hello, We have a system running AIX 6.1.7.1. We have created a Workload Partition(wpar) on this system with wpar specific routing enabled. On wpar, we are running DNS (UDP/53) and syslog (UDP/514). en0: 1.1.1.1/255.255.255.0 NOT assigned to any wpar en1:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 03sep2011
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

WPAR monitoring shell script suggestions needed

Hi All, This is for WPAR monitoring shell script, earlier opened thread was closed, had to open a new thread, as suggested I have used script as below, But am trying to get the output in below format, need suggestions with it. Below is the lswpar output, required output format. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LPAR,DLPAR and WPAR

Can anyone please let know difference between LPAR/DLPAR/WPAR. and its purpose ??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pavithran
3 Replies

6. AIX

Versioned WPAR's

Hi everybody. is anyone using versioned WPAR's? Has anyone clustered them with PowerHA? Please share your experience. Regards, firefox (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox111
7 Replies

7. AIX

Wpar network,i'm confused

Hi. I've setup a wpar on aix mkwpar -h ibmunix2 -i -r -N interface=en0 address=10.6.0.1 netmask=255.255.255.0 -n ibmunix2 When i log into ibmunix2 it can't ping any external host,include the ibm host. How to set route for network please? I've set ibmunix2 with a different subnet. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
7 Replies

8. AIX

How to differentiate between a standalone LPAR and a VIOC (which again is a lpar)?

There can be configurations in IBM Server wherein a standalone partition is created on some supported IBM Server Or A VIOS - VIOC LPARs created. Now in both cases they are lpars. But if I want to differentiate b/w a standalone LPAR vs an VIOC LPAR how can I do..? On a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish00712
2 Replies

9. AIX

No iscsi available in newly created AIX wpar

AIX 7.1 New to WPAR, hopefully just missing something simple here. Creating the WPAR like this..... (The box where the WPAR is hosted does have an iscsi protocol device) mkwpar -h wpar08 -l -n wpar08 -N interface=en0 address=xxx.xx.xx.xxx netmask=255.255.255.0 -D devname=/dev/iscsi0 -D... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomR
0 Replies

10. AIX

Error doing clogin into a wpar

I have this error when I'm trying to do clogin from AIX 7200-00-00-0000 into a wpar with AIX 5.2 abanksPaDesa2:/> clogin AbanksBDPA_wpar exec: A file or directory in the path name does not exist somebody can help me to fix this? I'm restoring the wpar from wpar mksysb not a mksysb from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandra25350
2 Replies
news(1) 							   User Commands							   news(1)

NAME
news - print news items SYNOPSIS
news [-a] [-n] [-s] [items] DESCRIPTION
news is used to keep the user informed of current events. By convention, these events are described by files in the directory /var/news. When invoked without arguments, news prints the contents of all current files in /var/news, most recent first, with each preceded by an appropriate header. news stores the ``currency'' time as the modification date of a file named .news_time in the user's home directory (the identity of this directory is determined by the environment variable $HOME ); only files more recent than this currency time are considered ``current.'' OPTIONS
-a Print all items, regardless of currency. In this case, the stored time is not changed. -n Report the names of the current items without printing their contents, and without changing the stored time. -s report how many current items exist, without printing their names or contents, and without changing the stored time. It is useful to include such an invocation of news in one's .profile file, or in the system's /etc/profile. All other arguments are assumed to be specific news items that are to be printed. If a delete is typed during the printing of a news item, printing stops and the next item is started. Another delete within one second of the first causes the program to terminate. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of news. FILES
/etc/profile /var/news/* $HOME/.news_time ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------------------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability SUNWesu | |CSI Enabled | +-----------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
profile(4), attributes(5), environ(5) SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1996 news(1)