Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX running LPAR on power5 p520 hardware Post 302603491 by johnf on Thursday 1st of March 2012 06:27:07 AM
Old 03-01-2012
Quote:
a) In order to run LPARs, I will need Powervm express and IVM , are these two part of this VIOS Server 2.2 I got ??
You do not need both Powervm and IVM both are really one in the same. Powervm will run on a normal VIO server, however IVM will install as a VIO server. The difference is to run Powervm you really need an Hardware Management Console (HMC) to enable you to setup various LPARs which includes the VIO servers. The normal configuration of dual VIO servers is not possible when using IVM as this is the VIO server and everything is controlled via IVM which involves loggin directly into the VIO using a graphical interface.

Also zxmaus' comment was absolutely correct you install the VIO server O/S and your can kiss goodbye to your AIX installation!

I am afraid with your configuration you have one choice which is spend some money on more disks!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by johnf; 03-01-2012 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: finger trouble

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

installing aix 5.2 on p520

hello everybody. Has anyone tried to install aix 5.2 on p520 machines. I've been trying but in the installation menu it says, "no disk found". I've used the same CD on a different 520 server and its working fine on it. Can anyone help, please? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soahel
5 Replies

2. AIX

LPAR freezes after switching of storage (lpar is mirrored)

Hi all, I have the following configuration 2 ds3524 storage disk systems located over 2 locations 2 P720 server located over 2 locations DS3524 are connected to san switch. Each vio server has 1 fc adapter attached to a san switch. per p720 server 2 virtual io servers. Vio 1 has 1 lun... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markiemark
2 Replies

3. AIX

p520 -- amber light

it shows up after the upgrade to SF240_415, after 2 hrs. amber light shows up on the led of 9111-520, but alog shows: everything seems to work, not sure what's going on.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
6 Replies

4. AIX

VIO server on p520

trying to put VIO server software into this p520, firmware upgraded to the latest and greatest..SF240_415_318 , I think a few questions, on this practice AIX machine on AIX 7.1 VIO can only be installed if ASMI or HMC is running ??? if so, perhaps ASMI is much simpler, since I will need to... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. AIX

Upgrading Power5 from 5.3 to...

I have a power5 that I would like to update and bring everything forward. I am wondering about trouble-free upgrades. Is it better to go 5.3 -> 7 or 5.3 ->6 ->7? The power5 box is behind and hopefully can learn from experiences here. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redi
6 Replies

6. AIX

p520 Service Processor's IP

picked up this old p520 , try many ways to connect to the SP.. a) null modem using a PC connecting to the lower S1 ...but see a bunch of garbages across the screen once the main machine is off b) try guessing the default IPs 192.168.3.147 and 192.168.2.147, for ports HMC1 and HMC2 no... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.2.0 on own hardware -> i550 LPAR

We are running into a problem that we thought had solved but no go... We have multiple machine types but 1 AIX and 2 i550 (AS/400) with 4 lpar each. Existing AIX is an old (2004 vintage) machine with 5.2 on it for historical use only. Existing Power6 i550 running code that will used... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackb_guppy
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Running Solaris SPARC on Intel Hardware????

Hello friends, I hope everyone is fine and doing well. I want to learn Assembly language for SPARC architecture. Is there any emulator available for 64 bit SPARC on which one can install Oracle Solaris 11 SPARC version. And ofcourse on my intel laptop computer??? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
4 Replies

9. AIX

VIOS: Extend virtual disk assigned to running lpar?

Hello, VIOS 2.2.1.4 using IVM. I'm trying to extend a virtual disk assigned to a running lpar so that I can expand the lpar's datavg and grow some filesystems for the user. Storage admin expanded the lun and new size was reflected in VIO right away. I then needed the storage pool to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_aix
2 Replies

10. AIX

How to differentiate between a standalone LPAR and a VIOC (which again is a lpar)?

There can be configurations in IBM Server wherein a standalone partition is created on some supported IBM Server Or A VIOS - VIOC LPARs created. Now in both cases they are lpars. But if I want to differentiate b/w a standalone LPAR vs an VIOC LPAR how can I do..? On a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish00712
2 Replies
roarvio(7)						System Manager's Manual: RoarAuido						roarvio(7)

NAME
libroar - RoarAudio sound library roarvio - RoarAudio virtual IO layer SYNOPSIS
#include <roaraudio.h> struct roar_vio_calls; DESCRIPTION
The RoarAudio VIO interface is RoarAudio's IO abstraction layer. It provides basic IO functions such as read and write independing on the underlaying IO. For Example can you open a plain or a gziped file via the VIO layer. After a successful open both objects behave the same, libroar takes care about the compression in the gzip case. TUTORIALS
Tutorials can be found in roartutvio(7). IMPORTANT FUNCTIONS
There are several important functions. This is a small list of the most important ones. Opening roar_vio_open_file(3), roar_vio_open_fh(3), roar_vio_open_stdio(3), roar_vio_open_dstr(3), roar_vio_open_proto(3). While there are a lot functions important for opening files the most important one is roar_vio_open_dstr(3). It opens a stream based on URLs that can point to local files or files on remote machines. It also can handle compression and encryption. Closing roar_vio_close(3), roar_vio_shutdown(3) Reading and writing roar_vio_read(3), roar_vio_write(3) Seeking and positioning roar_vio_lseek(3) Non-Blocking and Asyncron IO roar_vio_nonblock(3), roar_vio_sync(3), roar_vio_select(3) Networking and Sockets roar_vio_accept(3) String handling roar_vio_printf(3) BUGS
A lot... SEE ALSO
roar-config(1), roartypes(1), roartutvio(7), RoarAudio(7). RoarAudio May 2011 roarvio(7)