Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chmod command in SunOS
Operating Systems Solaris chmod command in SunOS Post 302603415 by hikaru022002 on Thursday 1st of March 2012 02:32:24 AM
Old 03-01-2012
chmod command in SunOS

Hi Bros,

I have a question want to receive your help.

On SunOS server. I have 1 file in /etc. mode of file is "read only". I've used chmod 777 commmand to change mode of that file. firstly, it's ok. but about 3 mins after that. The mode of that file rollback to "read only". I don't know how. please help me to fix that.
Thank you very much!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod command for recently modified files

hello! is there a way for me to use the chmod command to change permissions for several files all at once -based on the fact that these files were all most recently modified TODAY ? I can't use a wildcard on their filenames because the filenames are varied. But I was hoping I could somehow do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polka_friend
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Required help in chmod command

I have files inside the some directories. The no. of files in each directory will vary from 1 to 500K. I need to change the permissions of all the files to 400 mode. When the files are large in numbers...the command $chmod 400 * fails saying "ksh: /bin/chmod: arg list too long" so I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokachari
5 Replies

4. Solaris

chmod command

Hi, I want to create one user who has right to run chmod command in solaris, Any Idea? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
7 Replies

5. Solaris

usleep command is not available in SunOS

Hi All, I need usleep command to use in one of my shell script. I am working on SunOS 5.9. Where usleep command is not available. Is there any way to use usleep command in SunOS. Thanks In Advance, chidhu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa.chidhambaram
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Command in SunOS 5.6

Hi, I have to backup the contents of an old SunOS to tape. The tape drive is being recognized by the operating system. However, the man pages for tar are a little different from the ones I have seen using Red Hat/Centos. On Centos to backup the entire contents of the / partition I could just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

One doubt regarding chmod command

which one is correct chmod 777 file.txt or chmod 777 / file.txt what is difference in these two commands? thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Du -sk command in SunOS 5.10

Hi, I am little confuse after using du -sk on file . I have file listing like: -rw-r--r-- 1 Xuser Ygrp 51419029531 Sep 21 07:40 catalina.out when i issue cmd : du -sk catalina.out gives output as 1804511 catalina.out This means 1804511 KB. Which means 1 GB. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use chmod command inside ftp block?

hi, i want to use chmod command inside ftp. so that what ever files are transfered to the local server will hav 664 permission. if i use chmod inside ftp , the file permissions gets changed in the remote server and when the file is transffered to local server using get command, it does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies
mkdir(1)							   User Commands							  mkdir(1)

NAME
mkdir - make directories SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/mkdir /usr/bin/mkdir [-m mode] [-p] dir... ksh93 mkdir [-p] [-m mode] dir... DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/mkdir The mkdir command creates the named directories in mode 777 (possibly altered by the file mode creation mask umask(1)). Standard entries in a directory (for instance, the files ".", for the directory itself, and "..", for its parent) are made automatically. mkdir cannot create these entries by name. Creation of a directory requires write permission in the parent directory. The owner-ID and group-ID of the new directories are set to the process's effective user-ID and group-ID, respectively. mkdir calls the mkdir(2) system call. setgid and mkdir To change the setgid bit on a newly created directory, you must use chmod g+s or chmod g-s after executing mkdir. The setgid bit setting is inherited from the parent directory. ksh93 The mkdir built-in in ksh93 is associated with the /bin and /usr/bin paths. It is invoked when mkdir is executed without a pathname prefix and the pathname search finds a /bin/mkdir or /usr/bin/mkdir executable. mkdir creates one or more directories. By default, the mode of created directories is a=rwx minus the bits set in umask(1). OPTIONS
/usr/bin/mkdir The following options are supported by /usr/bin/mkdir: -m mode This option allows users to specify the mode to be used for new directories. Choices for modes can be found in chmod(1). -p With this option, mkdir creates dir by creating all the non-existing parent directories first. The mode given to intermediate directories is the difference between 777 and the bits set in the file mode creation mask. The difference, however, must be at least 300 (write and execute permission for the user). ksh93 The following options are supported by the mkdir built-in in ksh93: -m mode Set the mode of created directories to mode. mode is symbolic or octal mode as in chmod(1). Relative modes assume an initial --mode=mode mode of a=rwx. -p Create any missing intermediate pathname components. For each dir operand that does not name an existing directory, effects --parents equivalent to those caused by the following command shall occur: mkdir -p -m $(umask -S),u+wx $(dirname dir) && mkdir [-m mode] dir Where the -m mode option represents that option supplied to the original invocation of mkdir, if any. Each dir operand that names an existing directory is ignored without error. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: dir A path name of a directory to be created. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mkdir when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using mkdir The following example: example% mkdir -p ltr/jd/jan creates the subdirectory structure ltr/jd/jan. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of mkdir: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All the specified directories were created successfully or the -p option was specified and all the specified directories now exist. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/mkdir +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The ksh93 built-in binding to /bin and /usr/bin is Volatile. The built-in interfaces are Uncommitted. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ksh93(1), rm(1), sh(1), umask(1), Intro(2), mkdir(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Nov 2007 mkdir(1)