Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing awk variables to shell Post 302603347 by urello on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 07:48:07 PM
Old 02-29-2012
Passing awk variables to shell

Hi.
I need to parse file and assign some values to variables, right now i do like below
Code:
MYHOMEDIR=`awk '/Home/ {print $NF}' output.txt`
MYSHELL=`awk '/Shell/ {print $NF}' output.txt`
PRGRP=`awk '/Primary/ {print $NF}' output.txt`
SECGRP=`awk '/Second/ {print $NF}' output.txt`

In this case, AFAIK, output.txt is being opened 4 times. This is not good, because output.txt could be quite large. I beleive this can be done in one query. Pls assist.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables to AWK

Does anybody have an explanation for the following: The following scripts runs fine on IRIX64 6.5 but has bugs on Solaris 8. #! /bin/sh echo run only on an SGI machine echo type in linenumber read j echo value read value awk -f rmspass2 level=$value $j'step1.mlf' When the script is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AreaMan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing shell variables to awk program..

Hello, Can we pass shell variables like $PATH etc. to a awk program part for example, awk ' { fieldValue=$PATH .... }' file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables to Awk

Hi I have a unix shell script with an awk statement. I would like to print some of the fields of an input file. However, I would like to print them dynamically, ie by passing the literal $1 $3 into the script to define the output. I have tried the following: variable1='$1' awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk Variables

I am trying to pass the results from a variable gathered from awk, however when I echo the 'PARSE' and 'SUB', the response is blank. This is my command. awk -F= '/Unit/''{ PARSE=substr($2,1,5) ; SUB=substr($2,1,1) }' inputfile.lst Is this a kind of valid attempt or am I obligated to declare... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Variables to an awk command

Hello, I have two files File1 & File2. File1 76 135 136 200 250 345 .... File2 1 24 1 35 1 36 1 72 .... I want to get all the values form File2 corresponding to the range in File 1 and feed it to a program. Is the code below right? Can I pass shell variables to awk in this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables into AWK

I'm trying to use awk to write new entries to a hosts file if they don't exist. I need to do so depending on the type of system I have. Below is what I have, but it isn't working. awk -v myip1=$IP1 myip2=$IP2 myhost1=$HOST1 myhost2=$HOST2' BEGIN { mqhost1=0; mqhost2=0; stap1=0; stap2=0; } ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boomn4x4
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Global Shell variables to awk

Hi All, Iam trying to pass global shell variables and is not working Main script is like below CYEAR=`date +"%y"` CFYEAR=`date +"%Y"` CMONTH=`date +"%m"` if then PMONTH=12 PYEAR=`expr $CYEAR - 1` PFYEAR=`expr $CFYEAR - 1` else PMONTH=`expr... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: passing shell variables through and extracting text

Hello, new to the forums and to awk. Glad to be here. :o I want to pass two shell (#!/bin/sh) variables through to awk and use them. They will determine where to start and stop text extraction. The code with the variables hard-coded in awk works fine; the same code, but with the shell... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bedtime
7 Replies
h5jam(1)						      General Commands Manual							  h5jam(1)

NAME
h5jam - Add a user block to a HDF5 file SYNOPSIS
h5jam -u user_block -i in_file.h5 [-o out_file.h5] [--clobber] DESCRIPTION
h5jam concatenates a user_block file and an HDF5 file to create an HDF5 file with a user block. The user block can be either binary or text. The output file is padded so that the HDF5 header begins on byte 512, 1024, etc.. (See the HDF5 File Format.) If out_file.h5 is given, a new file is created with the user_block followed by the contents of in_file.h5. In this case, infile.h5 is unchanged. If out_file.h5 is not specified, the user_block is added to in_file.h5. If in_file.h5 already has a user block, the contents of user_block will be added to the end of the existing user block, and the file shifted to the next boundary. If --clobber is set, any existing user block will be overwritten. EXAMPLE USAGE
Create new file, newfile.h5, with the text in file mytext.txt as the user block for the HDF5 file file.h5. h5jam -u mytext.txt -i file.h5 -o newfile.h5 Add text in file mytext.txt to front of HDF5 dataset, file.h5. h5jam -u mytext.txt -i file.h5 Overwrite the user block (if any) in file.h5 with the contents of mytext.txt. h5jam -u mytext.txt -i file.h5 --clobber RETURN VALUE
h5jam returns the size of the output file, or -1 if an error occurs. CAVEATS
This tool copies all the data (sequentially) in the file(s) to new offsets. For a large file, this copy will take a long time. The most efficient way to create a user block is to create the file with a user block (see H5Pset_user_block), and write the user block data into that space from a program. The user block is completely opaque to the HDF5 library and to the h5jam and h5unjam tools. The user block is simply read or written as a string of bytes, which could be text or any kind of binary data. It is up to the user to know what the contents of the user block means and how to process it. When the user block is extracted, all the data is written to the output, including any padding or unwritten data. This tool moves the HDF5 file through byte copies, i.e., it does not read or interpret the HDF5 objects. SEE ALSO
h5dump(1), h5ls(1), h5diff(1), h5import(1), gif2h5(1), h52gif(1), h5perf(1), h5unjam(1). h5jam(1)