Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grepping multiple matches in a single string Post 302603336 by Irishboy24 on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 06:09:15 PM
Old 02-29-2012
grepping multiple matches in a single string

Hi All,

I'm trying to grep for 3 patterns in a string of gibberish. It so happens that each line is appended by a date/time stamp and i was able to figure out how to extract only the datetime.

here is the string..

Quote:
[$blah.blah.blah.tinker.blah.blah.tailor blah.solider.$[blah.spy
i have to display

Code:
tinker tailor soldier spy

Please can some help me in acheiving this.

Cheers
Irishiboy

Last edited by methyl; 02-29-2012 at 07:40 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping using multiple wildcards

Is there anyway you can grep using multiple wildcards? When I run the below line the results return fine; grep 12345 /usr/local/production/soccermatchplus/distributor/clients/*/out/fixtures.xml | awk -F/ '{print $8}' However ideally, I need it to grep for; grep 12345... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping string from out file

Guys .. Need to pull this highlighted strings irrespective of line numbers & should be echoed . But these strings are from Outfile from different dir. In which way this can be grepped ?? Need an idea http-timeout 120 seconds persistent-timeout 180 seconds host-rewriting on ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - Multiple String - Single Line

Would appear to me to be a farily simple question but having search all the threads I can't find the answer .. I just want sed to output the single line in a file that contains two string anywhere on the line.. e.g. currently using this command sed -n -e'/str1/p' -e '/str2/p' < file and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flopster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge multiple rows into single row if first column matches ?

Hi, Can anyone suggest quick way to get desired output? Sample input file content: A 12 9 A -0.3 2.3 B 1.0 -4 C 34 1000 C -111 900 C 99 0.09 Output required: A 12 9 -0.3 2.3 B 1.0 -4 C 34 1000 -111 900 99 0.09 Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbm_000
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search strings replaced with single string

Hi, I need someone's help in writing correct perl code. I implemented following code for "multiple search strings replaced with single string". ========================================================= #!/usr/bin/perl my $searchStr = 'register_inst\.write_t\(' |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chettyravi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple strings and replace single string

Hi, following Perl code i used for finding multiple strings and replace with single string. code: #!/usr/bin/perl my @files = <*.txt>; foreach $fileName (@files) { print "$fileName\n"; my $searchStr = ',rdata\)' | ',,rdata\)' | ', ,rdata\)'; my $replaceStr =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chettyravi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping only if condition matches

Dear Friends, I have a flat file which is as follows $cat sample 123,456,1,1,1,1 sdfas,345,1,1,1,1 dfgd,234,2,3,4,1 ggffgr,234,4,3,2,1 jkhu,354.1,1,1,1 $ I want to get output of only those lines which has '1' in 3 to 5 position. So I want output as follows 123,456,1,1,1,1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single grep to multiple strings with separate output per string

I need to grep multiple strings from a particular file. I found the use of egrep "String1|String2|String3" file.txt | wc-l Now what I'm really after is that I need to separate word count per each string found. I am trying to keep it to use the grep only 1 time. Can you guys help ? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
9 Replies
Time::Duration::Parse(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Time::Duration::Parse(3pm)

NAME
Time::Duration::Parse - Parse string that represents time duration SYNOPSIS
use Time::Duration::Parse; my $seconds = parse_duration("2 minutes and 3 seconds"); # 123 DESCRIPTION
Time::Duration::Parse is a module to parse human readable duration strings like 2 minutes and 3 seconds to seconds. It does the opposite of duration_exact function in Time::Duration and is roundtrip safe. So, the following is always true. use Time::Duration::Parse; use Time::Duration; my $seconds = int rand 100000; is( parse_duration(duration_exact($seconds)), $seconds ); FUNCTIONS
parse_duration $seconds = parse_duration($string); Parses duration string and returns seconds. When it encounters an error in a given string, it dies an exception saying "Unknown timespec: blah blah blah". This function is exported by default. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <miyagawa@bulknews.net> COPYRIGHT
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Some internal code is taken from Cache and Cache::Cache modules on CPAN. SEE ALSO
Date::Manip, DateTime::Format::Duration, <http://use.perl.org/~miyagawa/journal/30310> perl v5.10.0 2008-06-02 Time::Duration::Parse(3pm)