Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fork processes
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting fork processes Post 302603219 by Corona688 on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 10:32:38 AM
Old 02-29-2012
You limit it by not forking when there's too many...

Don't you already have a thread about this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

2. Programming

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n", getpid(),... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_dot
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green_dot
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

5. SCO

-sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix 5.0.5

Dear experts, I have done a re-installation of sco unix openserver 5.0.5 and managed to create users. The problem am facing is that of one user logging in more than 5 times. How can i overcome this problem. the system give the error below. -sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: njoroge
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conserving processes: execve() vs fork()

Disclaimer: This is just a rainy day experiment. There is no expected "goal" other than to understand UNIX better. After reading about fork and exec, my understanding is that forking, as the UNIX shell does by design, consequentially may sacrafice some speed versus an approach that runs in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uiop44
1 Replies

7. Programming

fork(), parent and child processes???

Hi friends, I have a small question regarding unix system call fork, I hope you will solve my problem. Here is the small program $ cat fork1.c #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> int main() { int pid; int x = 0; x = x + 1; pid = fork(); if(pid < 0) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

8. Programming

Creating more processes with fork()

Hello people I need help How to make ONE process to create MORE (not one) processes with fork(). I tried several codes but do not work. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekoj
8 Replies

9. Programming

Issue when fork()ing processes

Hi guys! I'll simplify my problem. I have the following code: #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <signal.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/wait.h> #define max 25 #define buffdim 50 void p1(); void p2();... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfpietro
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making processes using fork

Can anyone help me with this? Create a parent process that gets from the command line n arguments arg1, arg2, ... , argn. The parent will create n/3 son processes, each of them will create a file with the name argi by concatenate the files argi+1 and argi+2. How can i concatenate those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bunicu01
1 Replies
pthread_detach(3C)														pthread_detach(3C)

NAME
pthread_detach - detach a thread SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file... -lpthread [ library... ] #include <pthread.h> int pthread_detach(pthread_t thread); The pthread_detach() function is used to indicate to the implementation that storage for the thread thread can be reclaimed when that thread terminates. In other words, pthread_detach() dynamically resets the detachstate attribute of the thread to PTHREAD_CRE- ATE_DETACHED. After a successful call to this function, it would not be necessary to reclaim the thread using pthread_join(). See pthread_join(3C). If thread has not terminated, pthread_detach() will not cause it to terminate. The effect of multiple pthread_detach() calls on the same target thread is unspecified. If successful, pthread_detach() returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. The pthread_detach() function will fail if: EINVAL The implementation has detected that the value specified by thread does not refer to a joinable thread. ESRCH No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pthread_create(3C), pthread_join(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) 23 Mar 2005 pthread_detach(3C)