Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding consecutive maxima and recording them Post 302603197 by pau on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 09:50:58 AM
Old 02-29-2012
thanks. The data are in ascii format. So once you edit it with vi you will realize that there is not danger in dowloading it.

I was posting the link because there are many maxima spread all over the file.

A screenshot of the figure is here:

http://www10.pic-upload.de/29.02.12/t2a923mue74l.png

X = time

Y = distance between two objects; let's say between two stars

The orbit is decaying as you can see, and a maximum corresponds to an apocenter (the two stars are at their maximum separation at that moment), and a minimum to a pericenter (minimum separation at that moment).

This corresponds to the first 600 lines, which contain the first two maxima. It is obvious to find these with sort or awk and then calculate the X separation between them.

But I want to do that for the whole range of Y, as well as the instantaneous period.

I.e. I want to have

"Separation in X between two consecutive maxima" vs. "X" for the whole file.

---------- Post updated at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:48 PM ----------

sorry, the first 600 lines are here

Upload Your content

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recording keystrokes in vi

What is the syntax for recording command in vi. If I want to repeat a command over and over. My file is 12/01/05,,adsmte,9,0,0 12/02/05,,adsmte,12,0,0 12/03/05,,adsmte,10,0,0 12/04/05,,adsmte,11,0,0 12/05/05,,adsmte,10,0,0 12/06/05,,adsmte,10,0,0 12/01/05,,tsmpc1,57,1,2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
5 Replies

2. IP Networking

Data recording on Network

Hello, I have been task to record data on the network between two computers. On one side I have a Solaris 8 computer and on the other side there is a VX/Works machine. The messages that come across are data messages using a UDP protocol on a dedicated IP address. Does Solaris have anything I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtoba
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recording a UNIX Session

Hi All, I have a question regarding recording the unix sessions. I know the recording can be done using script comman, however i want to create a daily file of unix session. Also when i open multiple sessions how will the script multiple session. Please suggest some solutions also which file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitkhiare
0 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

My game scores are not recording

Hi. I scored 38 on the hex game and it would not record my score. Strange. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MokoMoko
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding consecutive numbers in version names on a txt file

Hi all. I have a directory which contains files that can be versioned. All the files are named according to a pattern like this: TEXTSTRING1-001.EXTENSION TEXTSTRING2-001.EXTENSION TEXTSTRING3-001.EXTENSION ... TEXTSTRINGn-001.EXTENSION If a file is versioned, a file called ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fox1212
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding and removing 2 identical consecutive words in a text

i want to write a shell script that correct a text file.for example if i have the input file: "john has has 2 apples anne has 3 oranges oranges" i want that the output file be like this: "john has 2 apples anne has 3 oranges" i've tried to read line by line from input text file into array... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cocostaec
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding consecutive same words in a file

Hi All, I tried this but I am having trouble formulating this: I have a file that looks like this (this is a sample file words can be different): network router frame network router computer card host computer card One can see that in this file "network" and "router" occur... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recording stats for Comcast

The last few weeks I've had a problem with Comcast in San Francisco (anyone else sharing the same issue ? Please share !) During the late afternoon throughout early morning hours I see a high amount of dropped packets and increased latency when pinging my favorite destinations, like 8.8.8.8. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SandmanCL
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting recording using egrep

Hello, Need help using egrep file format: test.gz Date, time, , number 1, number 2, counter... 20130618,912154, ,009912345678,911111111111,10000, , ,abc 20130618,982148, ,009101373810,034028791952294,8999, , ,gh Want to extract number1 OR number2 records in files based on a two or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the same pattern in three consecutive lines in several files in a directory

I know how to search for a pattern/regular expression in many files that I have in a directory. For example, by doing this: grep -Ril "News/U.S." . I can find which files contain the pattern "News/U.S." in a directory. I am unable to accomplish about how to extend this code so that it can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies
GPSPROF(1)							GPSD Documentation							GPSPROF(1)

NAME
gpsprof - profile a GPS and gpsd, plotting latency information SYNOPSIS
gpsprof [-f plot_type] [-m threshold] [-n packetcount] [-t title] [-T terminal] [-d dumpfile] [-l logfile] [-r] [-D debuglevel] [-h] [[server[:port[:device]]]] DESCRIPTION
gpsprof performs accuracy and latency profiling on a GPS. It emits to standard output a GNUPLOT program that draws an illustrative graph. It can also be told to emit the raw profile data. The information it provides can be useful for establishing an upper bound on latency, and thus on position accuracy of a GPS in motion. gpsprof uses instrumentation built into gpsd. To display the graph, use gnuplot(1). Thus, for example, to display the default spatial scatter plot, do this: gpsprof | gnuplot -persist To generate an image file: gpsprof -T png | gnuplot >image.png OPTIONS
The -f option sets the plot type. The X axis is samples (sentences with timestamps). The Y axis is normally latency in seconds. Currently the following plot types are defined: space Generate a scattergram of fixes and plot a probable-error circle. This data is only meaningful if the GPS is held stationary while gpsprof is running. This is the default. uninstrumented Plot total latency without instrumentation. Useful mainly as a check that the instrumentation is not producing significant distortion. It only plots times for reports that contain fixes; staircase-like artifacts in the plot are created when elapsed time from reports without fixes is lumped in. instrumented Plot instrumented profile. Plots various components of the total latency between the GPS's fix time fix and when the client receives the fix. For purposes of the description, below, start-of-reporting-cycle (SORC) is when a device's reporting cycle begins. This time is detected by watching to see when data availability follows a long enough amount of quiet time that we can be sure we've seen the gap at the end of the sensor's previous report-transmission cycle. Detecting this gap requires a device running at 9600bps or faster. Similarly, EORC is end-of-reporting-cycle; when the daemon has seen the last sentence it needs in the reporting cycle and ready to ship a fix to the client. The components of the instrumented plot are as follows: Fix latency Delta between GPS time and SORC. RS232 time RS232 transmission time for data shipped during the cycle (computed from character volume and baud rate). Analysis time EORC, minus SORC, minus RS232 time. The amount of real time the daemon spent on computation rather than I/O. Reception time Shipping time from the daemon to when it was received by gpsprof. Because of RS232 buffering effects, the profiler sometimes generates reports of ridiculously high latencies right at the beginning of a session. The -m option lets you set a latency threshold, in multiples of the cycle time, above which reports are discarded. The -n option sets the number of packets to sample. The default is 100. The -t option sets a text string to be included in the plot title. The -T option generates a terminal type setting into the gnuplot code. Typical usage is "-T png" telling gnuplot to write a PNG file. Without this option gnuplot will call its X11 display code. The -d option dumps the plot data, without attached gnuplot code, to a specified file for post-analysis. The -l option dumps the raw JSON reports collected from the device to a specified file. The -r option replots from a JSON logfile (such as -l produces) on standard input. Both -n and -l options are ignored when this one is selected. The -h option makes gpsprof print a usage message and exit. The -D sets debug level. Sending SIGUSR1 to a running instance causes it to write a completion message to standard error and resume processing. The first number in the startup message is the process ID to signal. SEE ALSO
gpsd(8), gps(1), libgps(3), libgpsd(3), gpsfake(1), gpsctl(1), gpscat(1), gnuplot(1). AUTHOR
Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com. The GPSD Project 10 Feb 2005 GPSPROF(1)