Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding consecutive maxima and recording them Post 302603159 by pau on Wednesday 29th of February 2012 08:27:35 AM
Old 02-29-2012
Finding consecutive maxima and recording them

Hello,

I have a file with two columns (I uploaded it because it is some 500K):

File-Upload.net - data.dat

If you plot the data with, say, gnuplot,

Code:
plot 'data.dat' u 1:2 w l

you will see that there are jumps. This is actually an orbit and a maximum corresponds to an apocenter and a minimum to a pericenter.

I would like to calculate two things:

(1) The initial period: I.e. the separation in the X axis between the very first maximum and the second one.

(2) The instantaneous period: For a value of X what is the difference between the immediately previous maximum and the following one

Is it possible to do this without having to use R or so?

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recording keystrokes in vi

What is the syntax for recording command in vi. If I want to repeat a command over and over. My file is 12/01/05,,adsmte,9,0,0 12/02/05,,adsmte,12,0,0 12/03/05,,adsmte,10,0,0 12/04/05,,adsmte,11,0,0 12/05/05,,adsmte,10,0,0 12/06/05,,adsmte,10,0,0 12/01/05,,tsmpc1,57,1,2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
5 Replies

2. IP Networking

Data recording on Network

Hello, I have been task to record data on the network between two computers. On one side I have a Solaris 8 computer and on the other side there is a VX/Works machine. The messages that come across are data messages using a UDP protocol on a dedicated IP address. Does Solaris have anything I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtoba
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recording a UNIX Session

Hi All, I have a question regarding recording the unix sessions. I know the recording can be done using script comman, however i want to create a daily file of unix session. Also when i open multiple sessions how will the script multiple session. Please suggest some solutions also which file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitkhiare
0 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

My game scores are not recording

Hi. I scored 38 on the hex game and it would not record my score. Strange. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MokoMoko
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding consecutive numbers in version names on a txt file

Hi all. I have a directory which contains files that can be versioned. All the files are named according to a pattern like this: TEXTSTRING1-001.EXTENSION TEXTSTRING2-001.EXTENSION TEXTSTRING3-001.EXTENSION ... TEXTSTRINGn-001.EXTENSION If a file is versioned, a file called ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fox1212
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding and removing 2 identical consecutive words in a text

i want to write a shell script that correct a text file.for example if i have the input file: "john has has 2 apples anne has 3 oranges oranges" i want that the output file be like this: "john has 2 apples anne has 3 oranges" i've tried to read line by line from input text file into array... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cocostaec
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding consecutive same words in a file

Hi All, I tried this but I am having trouble formulating this: I have a file that looks like this (this is a sample file words can be different): network router frame network router computer card host computer card One can see that in this file "network" and "router" occur... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recording stats for Comcast

The last few weeks I've had a problem with Comcast in San Francisco (anyone else sharing the same issue ? Please share !) During the late afternoon throughout early morning hours I see a high amount of dropped packets and increased latency when pinging my favorite destinations, like 8.8.8.8. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SandmanCL
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting recording using egrep

Hello, Need help using egrep file format: test.gz Date, time, , number 1, number 2, counter... 20130618,912154, ,009912345678,911111111111,10000, , ,abc 20130618,982148, ,009101373810,034028791952294,8999, , ,gh Want to extract number1 OR number2 records in files based on a two or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the same pattern in three consecutive lines in several files in a directory

I know how to search for a pattern/regular expression in many files that I have in a directory. For example, by doing this: grep -Ril "News/U.S." . I can find which files contain the pattern "News/U.S." in a directory. I am unable to accomplish about how to extend this code so that it can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies
MUPLOT(1)							   User Commands							 MUPLOT(1)

NAME
muplot - plot a multi-curve figure from multiple data by using Gnuplot SYNOPSIS
muplot [OPTION]... [STYLE] [FILE] [AXES] [FILE] [AXES] ... DESCRIPTION
Muplot is a simple, non-interactive gnuplot-wrapper to plot a multi-curve figure from multiple data (files). It can produce PostScript, PDF, PNG or JPEG output file formats. OPTIONS
--help|-H display help --version output version and license message -h display short help -V print program version number -s create PostScript file -S send PostScript output to STDOUT (the same as '-s -o -') -n create PNG file -j create JPEG file -p create PDF file (requires the gnuplot "pdfcairo" driver) -c <cmd> execute gnuplot command(s) (the default plot style is used) -m monochrome plot (valid only for PostScript) -l set plot size to 800x600 (valid for PNG and JPEG) -o base name of the output file -q quiet mode (all messages except errors to be suppressed) -i ignore local command file './.muplotset' -I <file> specify an alternative command file instead of './.muplotset' Styles: l lines p points lp lines and points (default) pp circle points d dots b boxes g grid e errorbars - default used columns are 1:2:3 (x:y:yerror) a fields with arrows; The data file has a special format in this case. Use 'prefield' to prepare such data files. dt=<fmt> date/time series with the specified format; For example: dt="%H:%M.%S@%H:%M" where the first part, in front of "@", defines the data format, and the second part defines the format that will be used for tic labels. Here, hours and minutes are separated by `:', respectively minutes and seconds by `.' Another example could be a date: dt="%Y-%m-%d". u=<fmt> user specified format as defined in Gnuplot Axes: x:y,x:y-z columns in the file defining the x/y-axes of the curve(s); Default are 1:2 or 1:2:3 for data with errors. In case that only one col- umn is provided the default axes are 0:1 - the x-axis will be a simple index then. File(s) could be a single file name whereas '-' means <stdin>, many files enclosed in '' or "" like "file1 file2 file3", or any valid shell pattern as for example "*.dat". The files '$HOME/.muplotset' and './.muplotset', if existing, will be included at the beginning of the gnu- plot script. The command block between "#BEGIN" and "#END" in those files will be pasted to the end of the script. If you want that the global '$HOME/.muplotset' is ignored, create in your local directory a file named '.muplotset.noglobal'. In case you want to view the out- put, define the env variable MUPLOT_VIEWER and export it, for example: MUPLOT_VIEWER="xpdf -z page"; export MUPLOT_VIEWER Then the program will prompt you to view the plot, and after confirmation the viewer will present the graphics. If the postscript file for- mat is chosen ('-s' option), and MUPLOT_VIEWER is not defined, the viewer is preset to 'gv', and per default you are prompted to view the output. To disable this behavior, set MUPLOT_VIEWER="". EXAMPLES
1) On X-terminal view a multi-curve plot of data files with extension 'dat' muplot l "*.dat" 2) Print a sinus curve in black-and-white color on a PostScript printer muplot -m -S -c "set title 'Function f(x)=sin(x)'; plot sin(x);" | lpr 3) Plot data from file "example.dat" using columns 1:2, 3:4, and 3:5 as x/y-axes in the multi-curve plot; a PostScript file with the name "example.ps" is automatically created. muplot -s lp example.dat 1:2,3:4-5 4) Create graphics in PDF format reading data from file "example.1.dat" (columns 1:2), and from file "example.2.dat" (columns 3:4) muplot -p lp example.1.dat 1:2 example.2.dat 3:4 5) View data where the third column is a date of the form 'yyyy-mm-dd' cat example_counts_per_day.dat | muplot dt="%Y-%m-%d" - 3:1 REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <gnu@mirendom.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2009, 2011-2012 Dimitar Ivanov License: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. muplot 3.2.1 February 2012 MUPLOT(1)