Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script for creating log file and sending mail? Post 302602505 by san_dy123 on Monday 27th of February 2012 02:12:45 PM
Old 02-27-2012
Shell script for creating log file and sending mail?

Hi ,

I am trying to create shell script which will help me to compare file name in two folder.
There is a multiple file store in 2 folder.I want to compare that with the name.
If all the file are same then send a mail that "all date is same"

if not then create one log file which contain non-matching file name and send that file with the subject "all contain are not same.

I have tried to compare two file but dont know how to create log file and send a mail.Please find the below script and help me to complete this.

Quote:
# Read dir names
echo "Enter first dir name(absolute path).."
read first_dir
echo "Enter second dir name(absolute path).."
read second_dir

# check for the existance of dir..
if [ ! -d $first_dir ]; then
echo "$first_dir does not exists.."
exit 1
fi
if [ ! -d $second_dir ]; then
echo "$second_dir does not exists.."
exit 1
fi

# compare dirs..
for second_dir_file in `ls $second_dir`
do
# If second_dir_file is present in first_dir
if [ -f "$first_dir/$second_dir_file" ]; then
echo "$second_dir_file is present in $first_dir.."
echo .
echo "overwriting $second_dir_file in $first_dir "
cp -f $second_dir/$second_dir_file $first_dir/$second_dir_file
# If second_dir_file is not present in first_dir
else
echo "$second_dir_file is not present in $first_dir.."
echo .
fi
done

# If first_dir_file is not present in second_dir
for first_dir_file in `ls $first_dir`
do
# If first_dir_file is not present in second_dir
if [ ! -f "$second_dir/$first_dir_file" ]; then
echo "$first_dir_file is not present in $second_dir.."
echo .
fi
done

Thanks....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a shell script for creating a log file

I have a schell script that runs continously on an AIX system. It is actually started from another shell script with the "ksh -x" command and then I just write the output to a log file. This causes the log files to be filled with mostly useless information. I would like to modify this script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending a mail using shell script

Please help me in writing the script for sending an attachment through email.(For example my text file name is :abc.txt and it is in directory d:/abc) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anitha126
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for sending automatic email to personal mail id

hi guys, I need a shell script to send mail automatically to my personal mail id like xxxx@hotmail.com but while experimenting with "mail" command I faced following problems. cat text1.txt | mail -s 'test mail' xxxx@hotmail.com command successfully executed but while checking for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
4 Replies

4. Linux

Memory monitoring and sending alert mail to users in network using shell script

i m workiing on a shell script which may monitors network memory and send alert to user if it increase a threshold (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navdeep5673
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file and sending mail by shell scripting?

hi I need help urgently...i need to write a shell script which can solve the following problem....its urgent plz help me out coz m totally newbie in shell scripting.... the problem is: Suppose I have a folder called logs. whenever some error occurs some correspondence error file is generated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script not sending mail

Hi, I have shell script which checks the filesystem check but does not send the mail. I might be missing something very simple.. could you please help? #!/bin/sh _servers="machine name" _out="/tmp/output.$$" _email="me@there.com" _sub="Disk Space Report $(date)" _mail=/usr/bin/mail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pandee
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending mail from shell script

Hello All, I m trying to send mail from my unix script, I have used the below command mailx -s 'hi' email address < temp.txt It is not giving me any error,but I couldn't receive the mail Can you please help me. Many Thanks, Pragyan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prarat
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending Mail via shell script

I am in need of a script that will send out emails while going through a NAT. What I have that works is as follows: display_remote_IP | sort | uniq | while read i do FOUND=0 for IP in `echo $ACCEPTABLEIP` do if ; then FOUND=1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldapguy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Configuring smtp settings and then sending the mail through shell script

I have make an menu in which first option is to start and second is to stop the services echo "Please enter the appropriate choice for doing the operations" echo " 1) STOP Services 2) START Services case $choice in 1) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

A shell script for checking the last image and sending it in attachment to mail

Hello every one. I use mutt : "mpack -s "Test" /home/pi/Pictures/2018-10-05_23_10_40.jpg my_email_addres " to send me a particular picture with the name of the data+jpg in a pictures folder, but this folder I use it for a timelapse proyect with more pictures , and what I need is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxbcn
2 Replies
FOLDER(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								 FOLDER(1)

NAME
folder, folders - set/list current folder/message SYNOPSIS
folder [+folder] [msg] [-all | -noall] [-create | -nocreate] [-fast | -nofast] [-header | -noheader] [-recurse | -norecurse] [-total | -nototal] [-list | -nolist] [-push | -pop] [-pack | -nopack] [-print] [-verbose | -noverbose] [-version] [-help] folders is equivalent to folder -all DESCRIPTION
Since the nmh environment is the shell, it is easy to lose track of the current folder from day to day. When folder is given the -print switch (the default), folder will list the current folder, the number of messages in it, the range of the messages (low-high), and the cur- rent message within the folder, and will flag extra files if they exist. An example of this summary is: inbox+ has 16 messages ( 3- 22); cur= 5. If a +folder and/or msg are specified, they will become the current folder and/or message. By comparison, when a +folder argument is given, this corresponds to a "cd" operation in the shell; when no +folder argument is given, this corresponds roughly to a "pwd" operation in the shell. If the specified (or default) folder doesn't exist, the default action is to query the user as to whether the folder should be created; when standard input is not a tty, the answer to the query is assumed to be "yes". Specifying -create will cause folder to create new folders without any query. (This is the easy way to create an empty folder for use later.) Specifying -nocreate will cause folder to exit without creating a non-existant folder. Multiple Folders Specifying -all will produce a summary line for each top-level folder in the user's nmh directory, sorted alphabetically. (If folder is invoked by a name ending with "s" (e.g. folders), -all is assumed). Specifying -recurse with -all will also produce a line for all sub- folders. These folders are all preceded by the read-only folders, which occur as "atr-cur-" entries in the user's nmh context. For exam- ple: FOLDER # MESSAGES RANGE CUR (OTHERS) /var/work/folder has 35 messages ( 1- 35); cur=23. /usr/bugs/Mail has 82 messages ( 1-108); cur=82. ff has no messages. inbox+ has 16 messages ( 3- 22); cur= 5. mh has 76 messages (15- 76); cur=70. notes has 2 messages ( 1- 2); cur= 1. ucom has 124 messages ( 1-124); cur= 6; (others). TOTAL = 339 messages in 7 folders The "+" after inbox indicates that it is the current folder. The "(others)" indicates that the folder ucom has files which aren't mes- sages. These files may either be sub-folders, or files that don't belong under the nmh file naming scheme. The header is output if either a -all or a -header switch is specified. It is suppressed by -noheader. The folder and message totals are output if either a -all or a -total switch is specified. It is suppressed by -nototal. If -fast is given, only the folder name (or names in the case of -all) will be listed. (This is faster because the folders need not be read.) If a +folder is given along with the -all switch, folder will, in addition to setting the current folder, list the top-level subfolders for the current folder (with -norecurse) or list all sub-folders under the current folder recursively (with -recurse). If msg is supplied, together with +folder or without -all, it will become the current message of +folder (if it had been supplied) or the current folder. The -recurse switch lists each folder recursively, so use of this option effectively defeats the speed enhancement of the -fast option, since each folder must be searched for subfolders. Nevertheless, the combination of these options is useful. Compacting a Folder The -pack switch will compress the message names in the designated folders, removing holes in message numbering. The -verbose switch directs folder to tell the user the general actions that it is taking to compress the folder. The Folder Stack The -push switch directs folder to push the current folder onto the folder-stack, and make the +folder argument the current folder. If +folder is not given, the current folder and the top of the folder-stack are exchanged. This corresponds to the "pushd" operation in the shell. The -pop switch directs folder to discard the top of the folder-stack, after setting the current folder to that value. No +folder argument is allowed. This corresponds to the "popd" operation in the shell. The -push switch and the -pop switch are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Both of these switches also set -list by default. The -list switch directs folder to list the contents of the folder-stack. No +folder argument is allowed. After a successful -push or -pop, the -list action is taken, unless a -nolist switch follows them on the command line. This corresponds to the "dirs" operation in the shell. The -push, -pop, and -list switches turn off -print. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Folder-Protect: To set mode when creating a new folder Folder-Stack: To determine the folder stack SEE ALSO
refile(1), mhpath(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msg' defaults to none `-nofast' `-noheader' `-nototal' `-nopack' `-norecurse' `-noverbose' `-print' is the default if no -list, -push, or -pop is specified `-list' is the default if -push, or -pop is specified CONTEXT
If +folder and/or msg are given, they will become the current folder and/or message. BUGS
There is no way to restore the default behavior (to ask the user whether to create a non-existant folder) after -create or -nocreate is given. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 FOLDER(1)