Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX /var partition full need help Post 302601823 by vbe on Friday 24th of February 2012 12:50:51 PM
Old 02-24-2012
What I really ment was more : When things grow abnormally fast in /var, look first in stm !
the logs hardly grow till something make them go bezeurk...
Here you see after I passed on the box and checked throughly:
Code:
civ:/var/stm/logs/sys $ date
Fri Feb 24 18:47:36 MET 2012
civ:/var/stm/logs/sys $ ps -ef|grep  iagm|grep -v grep
    root  9732     1  0 11:55:07 ?         0:07 /usr/sbin/stm/uut/bin/sys/diagmond
civ:/var/stm/logs/sys $ ll
total 178
-rw-r--r--   1 root       root         64208 Feb 24 11:56 activity_log
-rw-rw-r--   1 root       sys            878 May  5  2010 config.stm
-rw-r--r--   1 root       root          4648 Feb 24 11:55 diaglogd_activity_log
-rw-r--r--   1 root       root          5608 Feb 24 11:55 memlogd_activity_log
-rw-r--r--   1 root       sys           5872 Feb 24 11:55 scan_hw_log

Dead calm since...
Then there is /var/tombstones, with all sort of HW dumps when things go wrong...or systrem crashes, beware the system will increment each time so once your system is settled ( no bugs - HW issues) cleanup all of them to start as "new"
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

i-node full on /var

Can anyone tell me how would I troubleshoot when /var becomes full with inodes? This is on HP11.11 system. Where used is 92%, ifree is 1891 iuse is 88%. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full Partition?

Hi Everyone, I think I've filled up one of the partitions on my drive. I suspect that one of the applications I've been running has been spitting out junk files to this partition - most of which can be deleted. The problem is that I have no idea how to go look at what's on that partition and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Choppy
2 Replies

3. AIX

/var 100% full

What to do if /var filesystem in Aix is completely full ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkhan
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

partition out /var

Hi If You were the systems administrator of a mail server that services approximately 3,000 users. 2,000 users access their email via a POP-3 service, while the remaining 1,000 users access their email via a Unix mail reader. Recently users have complained about speed of disk access, so a new 10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: semaphore
1 Replies

5. BSD

Moving /var partition to USB stick

I am currently running DesktopBSD as a live-CD and need to have a large /var partition because it is currently too small. I have a USB stick which is BSD formatted, and would like to have the /var partition moved over to it. How can this be done? Could I for instance use a symlink? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figaro
1 Replies

6. AIX

/var filesystem is full

Hi, Is there a way to clear the temp files from /var/tmp? Is root access required to delete the files? Thanks, Narayan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
2 Replies

7. AIX

/var/spool/squeue gets full frequently

hi, im new in aix administration.. months ago, I received mails, everytime a cron was executed. but now, I don't receive these mails.. and the /var/spool/squeue, gets full frequently. i'd like to know more information about this, what can i do?? sendmail is up, because, I executed ps -ef |grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdeivis
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Install with /var in separate partition - Zfs / 10

This is my first time working with ZFS on Solaris 10. I am trying to set up /var in a separate partition from /. During the installation, I came across the ZFS settings where I selected disks 0 and 1 to be mirrored with ZFS. Next was the option to have /var and / on separate datasets. Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 6L71
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can partition out /var with these two separate 10 gigabyte disks?

In my company ,there is a mail server that services approximately 3,000 users. 2,000 users access their email via a POP-3 service, while the remaining 1,000 users access their email via a Unix mail reader. Recently users have complained about speed of disk access, so a new 10 gigabyte disk has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lemon_06
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/audit full

Hi, I have Solaris-10 (having multiple non global zones running on it). Its /var is getting full to 100% and I can see, there are files getting added to /var/audit. There are large in number, so even if I clearing them, it is filling /var. In past 24 hours, there are 53000 files are added. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies
SYSTEMD-VOLATILE-ROOT.SERVICE(8)                           systemd-volatile-root.service                          SYSTEMD-VOLATILE-ROOT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-volatile-root.service, systemd-volatile-root - Make the root file system volatile SYNOPSIS
systemd-volatile-root.service /lib/systemd/systemd-volatile-root DESCRIPTION
systemd-volatile-root.service is a service that replaces the root directory with a volatile memory file system ("tmpfs"), mounting the original (non-volatile) /usr inside it read-only. This way, vendor data from /usr is available as usual, but all configuration data in /etc, all state data in /var and all other resources stored directly under the root directory are reset on boot and lost at shutdown, enabling fully stateless systems. This service is only enabled if full volatile mode is selected, for example by specifying "systemd.volatile=yes" on the kernel command line. This service runs only in the initial RAM disk ("initrd"), before the system transitions to the host's root directory. Note that this service is not used if "systemd.volatile=state" is used, as in that mode the root directory is non-volatile. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-fstab-generator(8), kernel-command-line(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-VOLATILE-ROOT.SERVICE(8)