Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and Replace in multiple fields using awk Post 302601783 by Corona688 on Friday 24th of February 2012 11:04:55 AM
Old 02-24-2012
You can do a loop, and use $ to turn a field number into field contents:

Code:
for(N=1; N<=NF; N++) sub(/ /, "", $N);

...but I suspect you're overthinking this a touch -- why bother using fields at all? Do a search/replace on the line itself and you'll get it all done in one gsub:

Code:
awk '{ gsub(/[|] [|]/, "||") } 1' inputfile

---------- Post updated at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:01 AM ----------

Okay, that doesn't work because gsub refuses to overlap like that. But my first example still works when you set FS and OFS properly.

The regex might as well be /^ $/ for that case, to prevent it eating spaces in the middle of a string.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I read/find/replace fields in a csv datafile?

hello. I'm somewhat a novice here so please be patient. My stumbling block when loading csvs into ORACLE tables is this: I need to read a csv datafile, check several fields in each line, and if any of stated fields contain A ZERO only then replace it with a null/blank character. I had a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrCarter
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find and replace in multiple files

Hi I use the following code to replace ‘.' with ‘N' in my files and keep both versions. awk '{ gsub(/\./,"N"); print }' file_0001.txt > path/to/new/dir/file_0001.txt I need help on how to apply the code to 100 files instead of doing them one file at a time. The files are labeled... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK multiple fields separators

I need to print the second field of a file, taking spaces, tab and = as field separators. ; for 16-bit app support MAPI=1 CMC=1 CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll MAPIX=1 MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1 OLEMessaging=1 asf=MPEGVideo asx=MPEGVideo ivf=MPEGVideo m3u=MPEGVideo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PamPam
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with search and replace in multiple fields

I have a pipe delimited file with 27 fields. Each record has 26 fields. I need to search for the 25,26,27 fields and replace "," with nothing. How can I acheive this. Sed is more preferred. e.g data row o/p (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: merge two files and replace some fields

Need some code tweak: awk 'END { for (i=1; i<=n; i++) if (f2]) print f2] } NR == FNR { f2 = $1] = $0 next } $1 in f2 { delete f2 }1' FS=, OFS=, 2.csv 1.csv > 3.csvfile 1.csv have: $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9...... file 2.csv have: $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u10
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub multiple fields

Hi, I am trying to execute this line awk -F ";" -v OFS=";" '{gsub(/\./,",",$6); print}' FILE but for multiple fields $6 $7 $8 Do you have a suggstion? Tried: awk -F ";" -v OFS="";"" "function GSUB( F ) {gsub(/\./,\",\",$F); print} { GSUB( 6 ); GSUB( 7 ); GSUB( 8 ) } 1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find fields and replace using awk

Code: Using ksh Var1=`awk -F";" {print $1}' Input2.txt` cat Input1.txt | awk -F";" '{$3="Var1"}' > Output.txt (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 0 with 1 in multiple fields with awk

Hello, I have the following input file: 1 3 3 2 3 3 4 0 4 0 5 4 5 2 2 0 5 3 4 0 6 0 3 2 I am trying to remove all zeroes in fields 2 and 4 and replace them with "1's" I tried the following, but it's not working awk -F"\t" '{ if (($2==0) || ($4==0) $2=1; $4=1; print $0 ) }' input ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rabu
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print multiple fields with awk

so its common knowledge one can print multiple fields with simple commands like this: echo 12 44 45 552 24 | awk '{print $1,$4,$3}' but suppose i want to avoid specifying the "$" symbol. is that possible? can something like this be done: echo 12 44 45 552 24 | awk '{print $(1,4,3)}' ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies
FORMS(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  FORMS(3)

NAME
field_opts, field_opts_off, field_opts_on, set_field_opts -- form library LIBRARY
Curses Form Library (libform, -lform) SYNOPSIS
#include <form.h> Form_Options field_opts(FIELD *field); int field_opts_off(FIELD *field, Form_Options options); int field_opts_on(FIELD *field, Form_Options options); int set_field_opts(FIELD *field, Form_Options options); DESCRIPTION
The function field_opts() returns the current options settings for the given field. The field_opts_off() will turn the options given in options off for the given field, options not specified in options will remain unchanged. Conversely, the function field_opts_on() will turn on the options given in options for the specified field, again, any options not specified will remain unchanged. The options for a field may be set to a specific set of options by calling the set_field_opts() function. Options may only be changed if the field given is not the cur- rently active one. PARAMETERS
The following options are available for a field: O_VISIBLE The field is visible, hence is displayed when the form is posted. O_ACTIVE The field is active in the form, meaning that it can be visited during form processing. O_PUBLIC The contents of the field are echoed to the screen. O_EDIT The contents of the field can be modified O_WRAP The contents of the field are wrapped on a word boundary, if this option is off then the field will be wrapped on a character boundary. O_BLANK Blank the field on new data being entered if and only if the field cursor is at the left hand side of the field. O_AUTOSKIP Skip to the next field when the current field reaches its maximum size. O_NULLOK The field is allowed to contain no data O_STATIC The field is not dynamic, it has a fixed size. O_PASSOK An unmodified field is allowed. O_REFORMAT Retain the formatting of a field when the buffer is retrieved. If this option is not set then the buffer returned will be a sin- gle string with no line breaks. When this option is set newline characters will be inserted at the point where the string has been wrapped in a multiline field. This option is an extension to the forms library and must not be used in portable code. See the field_buffer(3) man page for how this option modifies the behaviour of field_buffer(). The following options are on by default for a field: O_VISIBLE, O_ACTIVE, O_PUBLIC, O_EDIT, O_WRAP, O_BLANK, O_AUTOSKIP, O_NULLOK, O_PASSOK, and O_STATIC. RETURN VALUES
Functions returning pointers will return NULL if an error is detected. The functions that return an int will return one of the following error values: E_OK The function was successful. E_CURRENT The field specified is the currently active one in the form. SEE ALSO
curses(3), forms(3) NOTES
The header <form.h> automatically includes both <curses.h> and <eti.h>. The option O_REFORMAT is a NetBSD extension and must not be used in portable code. BSD
November 24, 2004 BSD